How do you keep from getting discouraged??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, May 31, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 31, 2009

This was my first year teaching and thankfully I'll be back at the same school/grade next year. I learned so much this year and I'm looking forward to making some changes for next year.

I've been doing a lot of research and I seem to get discouraged when I read about what other teachers are doing in their classrooms.. I feel like I'm not doing enough. I realize this was my first year and that it's a process, but I still find myself getting a little down. I just want to be effective!!

Has anyone ever felt this way? When did you feel like you really got the hang of things and you felt good about what you were doing??

3. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

All of those other teachers put each wonderful thing they do in place piece by piece, year by year. Every year you make something about your teaching practice a little bit better, and a little more effective.

Next year in the same grade/same school will be much easier! You'll lose some of that feeling of just barely being able to keep your head above water because not everything will be brand spanking new.

First year is hard. Every lesson is being taught for the first time and there is a HUGE learning curve. I just finished my 5th year teaching elementary school and there are still things I am looking forward to improving for next year. Good teachers should always be looking for ways to be more effective.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

Come that first day of school, you'll stroll into the faculty room and have a cup of coffee. A newbie teacher will come timidly in, not quite sure where to go or what to do. THAT will be the start of your confidence boost... when you realize just how far you've come in one short year.

Learning to become an effective teacher is a process, and there's a steep learning curve. This year was all about survival. Next will be more about deciding what to keep and what to work on. Each year there will be more of the former and less of the latter.

Hang in there!

5. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

May 31, 2009

I am going into my fourth year and STILL feel that way. In fact, I have switched some things up mid-year. For example, I read how wonderful Daily 5 and CAFE is...so I implemented it mid-year and can't wait to start it in the beginning of next year. I am like you though, I love to read books about teaching but then feel taken slightly taken aback when I learn new things and wonder why I hadn't tried it before or question my own worth as a teacher. Guess it is more common amongst us than I thought!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 31, 2009

One thing to remember is that even those teachers that you are reading about is that they all have some area that they feel like they need to improve in. One of the best and worst things about teaching is that you constantly have to adjust and learn as more research comes out and the kids in your class have different personalities. You also have to learn to let go of certain things. You might not feel like you can conference with every child every day during writing time, but maybe you can make it a goal to see each of them 3 times a week or whatever works for you. You might even find that your improvised idea works even better and then you become the teacher that someone else is looking up to ;)