How do you keep from getting depressed?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by OneBerry, Aug 14, 2012.

1. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

Hi, fellow job seekers and advice givers. I have been teaching full-time for the past two years, but I left my job to marry my husband and moved out of state. Don't get me wrong, it was a great decision, but I haven't even been able to get an interview in my new state. I've had others look at my resume and cover letter. I've applied to every opening I can find, plus districts that don't have any openings. My new area seems to have extremely limited opportunities (there is no big city close enough to us and the small towns don't seem to have many opportunities). :mellow:

Now what? I'm starting to get depressed. How do you keep from just being sad?

3. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

Do you have a license in the new state? That may be the block that is hurting you right now, if you can't legally teach in that state, the principals may not want to interview.

Otherwise - email your information to ALL principals of schools that you are eligible to teach in (don't sent to HS if you are licensed Elem :) ) - interim positions may open up during the year and you want to be the name they think of to fill that short term vacancy.

As for preventing depression, I'm no help there, but hopefully by getting your name out there you can get a bite.

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

I agree, email everyone and start subbing, per diem or interim if you can.

I know it is really hard when you get no nibbles. My advice is to focus on the subbing or finding anything else education-related in the meantime. Take workshops. Tutor. If you are near a university, you can tutor college students or mentor a student teacher. I did both of these things last year after my subbing assignment ended, and it really looked great on my resume. Committees were impressed when I discussed these experiences and described what I learned from them.

Realize you are not in this alone. This board is great for advice and a shoulder to cry on! Hang in there. You will get there but it may take some time and networking to get your foot in a door somewhere. :hugs:

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

You've gotten great advice...

As far as the 'depressed' feelings...do things for you:
    Walk
    Work out
    Get a mani/pedi
    Join a book club at the library
    Any hobbies?

Don't be hard on yourself...get yourself out there in any way you can to wrk with kids/meet new people.:thumb:

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 14, 2012

I tutored. I took a group counseling class for my anger issues. Went to countless auditions. A job offer came out of the blue in October. You never know. Just do me a favor and don't wait by the phone all day.

7. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

It's hard. It took me two years to land a teaching position. Perseverance is key. You just have to keep trying, give it your all, and pick yourself right back up every time you get knocked down.

Do everything you can to make yourself a more competitive applicant by getting certified in as many areas as you can-ESL and SPED are huge ones, and getting those will give you an edge.

Can you sub at the districts around you? Volunteer to tutor? Some way to get your face out there and make some contacts?

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Thank you all. It's uplifting to read your ideas. I'm working on getting my name in for subbing but it's an unexpectedly complicated process so even that is taking awhile.

As I read this, I was literally sitting by the phone waiting. Oh dear. I'm going shopping, I need to get out! :rolleyes:

9. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

I faced depression every summer for a consecutive three years because of not landing a permanent teaching position. The economy just sucks right now.

This year, I was prompted into looking at other career opportunities and study for IT certifications while substitute teaching on the side. The beauty about IT is that you don't even NEED to go back to school or have a degree; you just have to study for the proper certifications and work your way up. I know that sounds bogus, but I got several friends who are in IT who don't have college degrees (only one of them does) and they make good salaries to buy their own homes. A couple of them got single family homes and are 24-26 year old bachelors/bachelorettes. As crazy as it sounds... they start out at IT help desk and made the same salary as a first year teacher would make (kinda sucks since we pay students loans to complete a 4 year teaching program, plus be expected to have master's right after). Some of them are federal government employees.

IT is the fast, growing market right now for this century. It is definitely something to look at and I can give you more information on it if you are interested.

10. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I would definitely like some information on that. It took me 3 years to find a teaching job, I taught 2 years and was laid off due to budget cuts in the district. I haven't had any luck landing another job, even though I've had several interviews. I was actually thinking of trying to take some classes and go into something else if I don't get hired next year and IT was what I had thought about.

11. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 17, 2012

DKM, that sounds interesting but I'm holding out hope in the teaching field for now. If I end up subbing, though, that does sound like an idea with potential!

... So I actually got an interview at a school! Not for what I thought I was looking for, but I'm open to at least interviewing. :)

12. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Congrats! I guess there's some hope out there

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

Don't hesitate to go see your doctor and let him/her know you're going through a rough patch. There are lots of mild anti-depressants out there that you can take for 3 to 6 months that might help you a bit. There's no shame in it if you need a little help.