How do you introduce yourself to general ed. students?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jennyjenjen, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm a M/M SDC teacher at a high school. I occasionally sub during my prep period and was curious what you guys think is the best way to introduce myself to general education students. I do not want to introduce myself as a special ed. teacher out of respect for my students. If I don't tell the general ed. kids that I am a teacher at their school they try to get away with murder. What would you say?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2009

I work at a special ed. school now so I don't have to worry about this. Last year, when I worked at a regular school and taught special ed. science almost all day I said I taught science. The kids would ask why they or any of their friends didn't have me so I would say that I taught a lot of different grades so I didn't get a lot of their grade in my class.

4. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

I would just say simply something like "Hi my name is Ms. X ... you may have seen me in the halls. I'll be subbing today for Ms. Y. " and leave it at that.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

I am in an autism school now so it's not an issue.

Last year, in public school, I used to say "I teach in the fifth grade building, in the room next to ____."

They usually didn't inquire too much further. It's likely that they know, but there's no reason to broadcast it.

I wouldn't expect that they would think any less of you because you teach SDC.

6. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

I was more concerned about my students that don't like to broadcast that they're in Sped.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2009

I think it's just one of those things that the kids know. They know where your room is, they know what you do. I think it's definitely a good idea to not introduce yourself as "the special ed teacher" - but not to go out of your way to keep things "secretive."

Keeping it simple and just saying that you teach "9th grade" or that you are a "teacher right next door to Mrs. ____" (pick a cool teacher!)

Good luck!

8. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I agree with all pp - kids are a lot more perceptive than we give them credit for. I think introducing yourself as the teacher next door to Mr./Ms. ______ or 6th grade teacher is fine. They will get the drift.