How do you introduce vocabulary?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Sep 6, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

You know, so it sticks? Do you have them write down the words? If yes, on what? With definitions? Do YOU give them, do they look them up? I know there are many ways to do this, but what is the most effective way to introduce vocabulary do you think?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2010

In Science and S.S., we often do "Vocab Boxes" in their notebooks. They divide the page into four sections, and each section gets a word, definition, picture, and (sometimes) sentence. Sometimes I give the definitions, sometimes we read to find them together, and sometimes they look them up (it depends on the words and how 'approachable' they are). We also often make gestures to go with the words and definitions and practice saying them together.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 6, 2010

I do the same thing, except with paper plates. Kids are so gullible, they think it's fun :whistle:

I also have PDF with vocab games from AtoZ Vocabulary, PM me if you want it (I'll need your email)

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 6, 2010

We have pictures showing examples of our vocab words with a def. at the bottom. I introduce them to the class while they echo read the word and def. We discuss the pictures and I give examples and non-examples as well as use sentences. Later on in the week, I have them create actions in their teams and we do a vocab script quiz where they do thumbs up/thumbs down where I state words or phrases and they decide if it's an example of the word or not.

6. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I have them write "meaningful sentences"--they need to use the word in a sentence that tells who/what/where/when/why. I do a lot of modeling and guided practice with this--it is not as easy to do as it might sound, but the students really learn those words and learn a lot about correct usage and even grammar rules from this. It takes several times before they can actually do this totally independently, but imo, it is worth it.
    I got this idea from the Success For All reading program.

7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I think it depends on the grade level you are teaching. The way I would intro new vocab to a first grader would be very different from an eighth grader.

8. JustT

JustT Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

I think in order for a student to retain vocabulary, they have to use it 6 times in context? I've heard it somewhere before.

I use a method similar to the boxes. The students seem to be synthesizing when they are thinking up a picture to draw that will demonstrate or represent the word. They also like to look at what others did to get more ideas next time.

9. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I often have students write sentences with the vocab one day. the next day write a story witht the vocab and the third and fourth day we play word games

10. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

There are lots of great ideas in this thread. I would be interested in the vocab games pdf. :)

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 7, 2010

I love all of these ideas. I am finding vocab to be a huge leap from 2nd to 3rd grade and my students are unfamiliar with the majority of them... especially in science/ss. :)

Miss Pisces... I tried to PM you but your inbox has reached its quota! :D

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

No joke, I thought it was 26! Going to google to see if I can find out.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

I can't find it, I'll look again later.

One way I intro vocab is through whiteboards. Each student gets one and they create 3 columns: know the word and can teach it -- don't know the word -- heard the word but unsure of the meaning. Then they circulate around and talk, teaching each other words as appropriate. The kids love it. After that we use notebooks to write the definition, make a picture, use it in a sentence and write noun/verb/etc. My kids have no clue about parts of speech but I hope the repetition will help.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

Sorry! To all those that are asking, I discovered I have only a hard copy. I'll scan it, clean out my inbox, and let you know when I have it ready :)

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

My pm box is cleaned out now. I am ready...

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

Ok, check your email, guys. If it's not there, send me another PM please, I probably overlooked it.