How do you introduce centers/work stations

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2kkj, Sep 8, 2011.

1. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Sep 8, 2011

Hi :)
    Today was day 1 for me. Last year was my first year of K and I had 9 students.
    This year, I have 21!
    I'm overwhelmed......and didn't think I would be. DUH :eek:hmy:
    I started thinking about centers/work stations/ jobs....whatever the name, I'm getting worried about how to introduce them to such a large group!
    With 9, I sort of just did it and they were good and listened.
    I know it's day one but I can tell already that 1/2 will tune out whatever I am saying.....
    I am not planning on starting until after next week but would LOVE any/all advice as to how you do this with your larger groups. Do you do small group introductions or all at once?
    Thanks so much :)

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 8, 2011

I start with activities that can go in baskets and each table (that they are already sitting at) gets a basket, after 15 minutes, I switch it. I have 6 tables and 6 baskets, usually I do 3 rotations in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. I pretty much do this the whole first week with the same materials. When I introduce the other stuff, I do it whole group, but not all at once. So, I might introduce/explain 3 things, go to recess, come back in and introduce 3 more and then they can practice with them. I monitor them a lot at first and stop and have discussions about whispering, how to solve their own problems (and not interrupt a reading group at some point!).

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 8, 2011

I totally agree with the above post. Do it gradually and make sure the kids practice in small pieces before expecting them to do it on a large scale. The Daily 5 book does a great job of explaining how to introduce independent work. They talk about building stamina and this also applies to center work. Start small and grow gradually. The more time you spend introducing it correctly, the more it pays off in the long run.

5. Laurie12820

Laurie12820 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

Ditto the above posts. Start small and easy and take it from there!