How do YOU incorporate technology?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Feb 7, 2013.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Feb 7, 2013

Hey everyone,

I was just curious how some of you guys are incorporating technology into your lessons and classes. There is a HUGE push in my district to use as much technology as possible when teaching. We've had more PD days on this topic than I care to count.

We have SMART Boards, but they've suggested using Twitter, Facebook, cell phones, Ipads, etc. I'm not quite sure how I would incorporate any of these; I typically just use the SMART Board, and even then, it's used as a glorified chalkboard. :eek:

Anyone care to share anything in particular you use to incorporate technology?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 7, 2013

I wish I could incorporate more technology. All I have is a computer. I guess I technically have a TV too...

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2013

My kids take their Monday quizzes on their cell phones, iPods, and tablets. I have student responders. Love my Smartboard. Use YouTube, put stuff on my web page. Use online resources. Have access to iPads and computers.

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Feb 7, 2013

How do you have them take a quiz on their cell phones?? I would love to try this!

6. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Feb 7, 2013

I'm interested in that as well!

As for technology, I use:
    -Class Dojo-a behavior management app/site

-I use a website that has classroom timers on it when I need a "countdown" for something in particular.

-cell phone in small group to use with my Fluency kids. I open my "Memo" app and record them read, then have them listen back. They make observations about what they've read. It's also great because I keep them and we listen to them once in a while so they can hear how much they've improved!

-Pandora to play classical music during tests.

-My cell phone to input homework grades immediately that are just for participation points (I have the students come to me each morning so I can sign their planners and I look at their homework to make sure it's completed and not rushed through)

-some of my kids use the computers for their spelling tests rather than hand writing the words.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2013

Our state has an online testing system. They just need web access. Every Monday they take an 8 question quiz on the learning targets from the week before. It's so easy when they have their phones!

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 8, 2013

I use the ELMO to project book pages, activities, and experiments. Only one of my students had a cell phone (in elementary school!), but I used it to enhance her writing skills by texting back and forth. I've used iPad apps for practicing math, reading, communication, spelling words, and writing skills. My students often make a movie of themselves reading a story aloud, then watch themselves to see how they look/sound. I use the SMARTBoard for powerpoint presentations, youtube videos, writing things over pictures/diagrams/book pages, handwriting tracing, and many other things.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 8, 2013

polleverywhere.com is a great free site.

I don't use it anywhere as we purchased SMART RESPONSE systems with a grant we have. I highly suggest contacting your SMART rep and
    trying them out for a week. You might be able to get them for free with a technology grant. I have done over 100 quizzes with them this year. While I still grade my own essay tests and writing, the grading of the other quizzes has saved me a ton of time. Oh, and the students love them!:)