How do you implement technology into your classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by loves2teach, Jan 12, 2007.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2007

Hey,

I was wondering how everyone implements technology into their classrooms? I know that every grade is different... (I teach 5th)

How savvy would you say your students are? How many computers do you have in your classroom? How often do your students use them, and in what way?

I am just curious- wondering how my kids stack up :)

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2007

I teach 1st and use technology every single day. In my room I have a Smartboard which the kids use all the time. I only have 2 student computers so we go to the computer lab often. By March my kids will have learned to do research on the computer. Each child is assigned a zoo animal and they have to research it. I have taught them how to do a google search. They must find 3 articles on their animal that they can read and print it out. They must find pictures of their animals and make a poster using the pictures and finally they must do a report using the info they found. It is amazing how easily these kids pick up on things. We also do all kinds of lessons in the lab, Word for writing stories, Kidspiration for many projects, paint for illustrations. I think we do a lot considering they are only in first grade.

4. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jan 12, 2007

It is very hard to use technology in my classroom. I only have two computers for students to use, which includes the teacher computer. Also, our school does not have a computer lab. I find it difficult with 34 students to give them time on the computer.

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jan 12, 2007

I teach 5th and I take the students to the computer lab once a week for 80 minutes to learn computers. We are learning all the Microsoft programs and how to use them. I integrate them into my own lessons (english). We do webquests and publications. I also have a Smartboard in my room that I use daily and the kids know how to use it. I only have two student computers in my room, but our campus has 3 computer labs in it. I'm so fortunate!

6. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

ITeach4Him,

How do you incorporate the Smartboard? My school is getting 4 soon, so I'm very excited. Unfortunately, I don't know how to effectively work it in. I run out of time now.

Do you use it as an introduction, or do complete lessons on it?

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

I teach 5th grade as well. My classroom has 5 laptops and 2 desktops which we use almost daily. I also have a LCD projector, Elmo projector (love this thing!!), and overhead projector (which is almost never used). Plus we have 5 headphone sets with mircophones that we can plug into the computers.

In addition to that, we also have two computer labs with 30 desktop computers which we go to twice a week for 35 minutes.

We use PowerPoint weekly for vocabulary, the headsets to record the students reading so they can check for fluency and practice reading with expression, the kids also use Word to write letters, etc. Just recently, I taught the kids how to do a basic web page in FrontPage. They thought that was really cool. We actually linked many of their pages today (you can see them at www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen under Student Pages).

I love all the technology that we have available to us. If I ever leave the district I would miss it like crazy!! ;)

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2007

I am getting a smart board/elmo projector/surround sound system soon & have been wondering about how to effectively use it as well. Wish I had some time on my own to play w/ it- but I just know they are going to show up to put it in one day.

I have 5 computers + my laptop. Hoping for 6 because we just got a shipment of new computers in (they are the new macs with video capabilities installed). My students are on the computer every day- either:
    -researching (our state bought us a subscription to nettrekker- it is kind of a school friendly google)
    -completing web quests
    -working on studyisland (another neat site)
    -taking ar tests
    -or just playing learning games

we also have a computer lab- which is nice as well.

I also use powerpoint to display vocabulary. I used to have it display morning work, and homework- but my tv is so small that it was hard for the students to see. Again, another nice thing about the projector. I have a student who is a powerpoint wiz, and he is in charge of it.

My students are really into "hot keys" We have been practicing short cuts a lot lately.

9. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jan 13, 2007

We do a Daily Oral Language on the projection screen. The kids do it on their own as bell work and then I project it on the screen to go over with them and make corrections. I have a scanner that I scan the exact document they are working on and project it up on the screen. We use the smart board pen to write the answers in. We do lots of paragraph editing using it.

I use it with any program that I use to teach with (PowerPoint, Kidspiration, or internet). I use the Smart Board to run the computer so I can move about the room and not be tied to where my desktop is. I just get my documents up and running and then I can operate them and write on them with the Smart Board.

The Smart Board also comes loaded with all sorts of Maps, graphs, etc. that I can quickly pull up and refer to while I'm teaching. It's AWESOME!

10. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jan 13, 2007

We have four computers in the room for research, writing, etc., plus a classroom set of laptops that rotate between 7 teachers. We use the laptops for Geometers Sketch Pad and other whole-class activities. We also use graphing calculators pretty often. I am going to a Texas Instruments conference this spring and hope to get more ideas there.

11. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

I have 31 laptops (in addition to a teacher laptop and teacher desktop). We use them once or twice a week to practice typing. We use a typing program sometimes, but we have advanced to Word. I am looking forward to them publishing their own writing in a few months using Word. The laptops are also used for Study Island or math games occasionally. I love having the laptops, but it does become ANOTHER thing I am trying to fit into an already crammed week!

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2007

I forgot that we also have a class set of learn star systems in our school. Has anyone else here ever used those? Hoping to create quizzes over the summer to upload on there for next year. My class has used them once and really enjoyed it.

13. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

I use technology whenever I can (which comes to at least twice a week). I will do anything from a powerpoint presentation for a writing unit and the lesson asks for student input that I post on the powerpoint as the lesson continues. I've also made a webquest for science and the students went to the computer lab to complete the activity. Sometimes I am in the "driver's" seat, and other times it is more hands-on.

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2007

I use the Smartboard and projector.

We do not have computers in the room but have 2 labs that kids can access.

What do I wish for? I wish I had something like an Alphasmart (10?) so kids could type on these at their desks and then print out what the final drafts....

15. iluv1stgrd

iluv1stgrd Rookie

Jan 14, 2007

First grade classroom.
    5 student computers (one I bought on E-Bay for $50)
    We use them everyday. I have a computer station.
    Starfall, Kidspiration, Word, Quia

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2007

I'm secondary math, so I really don't belong here.

And I'm really not going to make lots of friends on this, but here goes anyway:

For me, in my own math class, I think the whole technonogy thing has been overrated.

For my current 7th graders, I'm fine with a chalkboard. For the days when I need graph paper or have a lot of definitions, the visualizer allows me to display what I'm working on for the whole class.

For the older kids, say the Precalc kids I last taught, a plain old scientific calculator can be added to the list. Sorry, but I'm a bit of a dinosaur. I don't think they should have a graphing calculator in HS, not until they can graph each of the functions on paper. They need to know why a cubic polynomial function has 3 roots and ends that go in opposite directions, not just because that's what the calculator said.

We also take attendance by computer, but that's schoolwide.

I can certainly see how the internet could benefit so many other classes, but I'm perfectly content with my chalk!

17. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jan 15, 2007

i couldn't imagine not having my smartboard. my kids are interacting with it every day. there are interactive websites that you can pull up for the 7 continents and 4 oceans...they click on the correct one after the computer says it...and so much more! i have so many great sites to share (but they're on my other computer) that allow for computer interaction on so many different levels. for an introduction you can show a powerpoint. kids love them and they are SO easy to create. there are even websites out there with pre-made powerpoints. for math they have 100 blocks, fraction pies, money, time, and much more. sheesh. there is so much more you can do with the smartboard! you'll get trained and see.

in my school we also do AR so my kids are on the computer with that too. but it's not as exciting as my smartboard. :)

have fun!
    LC

18. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2007

Alice you are right, the chalkboard is good for some people, for some people they can't be without a whiteboard, and now that I have my Smartboard I don't want to teach without it. Everyone has their own teaching style and what works for one may not work for another. I love technology and use it in any way that I can with my students yet I do understand the need for them to be able to do work without it. I feel I have a great balance in my teaching style. We all must do what we are comfortable with and for me teaching with technology is the way to go.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2007

I've never even SEEN a smartboard!:eek: