How do you help your higher readers?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by VANewbie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 8, 2010

I teach first grade and I have a group of about 8 students who are reading on a second/third grade level. What are some things you do with your students that I could use in first grade with them. Their comprehension is pretty good.

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 8, 2010

For me it depends. I use their DIBELS score which measures words per minute and number of words for a retell aka comprehension. If their comprehension is less than 1/2 of the words they are reading then I have them concentrate on that. Right now, I have a center just for them in which they build graphic organizers, answer questions and do an "add to the picture" activity using at least 3 vocabulary words from the story.

4. renmew

renmew Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

I group them together (3 or 4) for a couple weeks and let them read a short chapter book together during the time the other kids are reading our basal. They have a project to work on while they're working together, like keeping a character log, drawing a detailed/labeled setting picture, or an illustrated summary. I also put in one extra student who is not advanced, so that everyone gets a turn (because they notice) and that alone makes a big difference with the less able reader.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 10, 2010

Anyone else? I need more ideas because conference time is coming up and I would like some ideas for the parents to use with their children at home. Right now I as their teacher am not sure how to provide enrichment for them.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2010

I use the Daily 5 CAFE.
    It helps me with all kids no matter which level k-12.

7. silvia

silvia Rookie

Jan 5, 2011

I use Daily 5 Literacy CAFE as well, I can't speak more highly of it! Some children either from lack of interest or previous instruction simply can't keep up if I only have 1 book for the whole class to read.

8. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jan 29, 2011

I now have my 4 high readers meet in their group while I teach Imagine It (district adopted reading curriculum). They have a calendar they follow. Each time they meet, they complete together:
    1) One word ladder (Tim Rasinski)
    2) One page from Analgoies ($1 ebook from Scholastic, printed)
    3) Read one chapter of novel (currently The Secret Garden), put predictions, connections, thoughts, & various comprehension strategies on sticky notes, then discuss with each other

I will have them do more projects with books in the future but for now, since they are just getting started, this is all I have them do. They usually finish right when my Imagine It group is transitioning to Workshop. If they are still working, that is fine because it is Workshop. Then they return to their seats and complete the Workshop tasks. Unless it is their turn for me to meet with them.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2011

Pretty good comprehension? I'd be focusing on developing deeper comprehension...lessons on visualizing, schema,inferring, questioning...how about setting them up in partnerships and working on developing good book talk to deepen comprehension...

10. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 30, 2011

Perhaps you could introduce some literary terms and have them try to find them in the stories they read. This would increase comprehension and give them a head start in literature.

11. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Apr 20, 2011

Ohh thanks for sharing your ideas everyone! I'll have to look into Daily 5... I just can't really afford to shell out the $ for the book right now. Are there any online resources for free?

12. cateste

cateste Companion

Apr 25, 2011