How do you have your kids sign in?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrsammieb, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

I read somewhere that each kid had their own box and it was their job to get their box and begin their morning work. Then I could just look at where the boxes are stored and see which boxes are not collected. It seems like a good idea but it could get complicated? Other ideas?

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 11, 2006

I had the kids sign in right after morning circle. It was a time when my assistant was supervising handwashing and toileting, so the kids would sign in, then procede to the bathroom. This year I am going to do it later in the day, after lunch while my assistant supervises tooth brushing. I have a large book area in my center, and got a little table with 4 chairs, so after they brush teeth, they can sign in and then look at books until everyone is done. I am hoping it works. I often vary how we sign in. Sometimes it is done on sheets that go in their portfolios. Other times I might use a huge sheet of paper for everyone to write on. Sometimes I put out a few white boards to use. Sometimes we sign in on a graph we are making.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2006

So you want the sign in as a way for you to take attendance or as a learning opportunity for the children? Your purpose will affect my answer to your question!

5. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Are you looking primarily for attendance or morning work issues? My am work (if it is a worksheet) is on their desk, and if not we get a quiet learning center (cubes, puzzles, pattern beads, pegs, etc). For attendance, I have all of their names on sentence strips and they turn them backwards so I can see who is not here. I'll eventually move to last names. Later (once I'm back from mat leave) I'll have them use their name card to answer a graph question on a pocket chart. You could also have their names on index cards or clothes pins and have them stick it with/on a picture of their lunch choice.

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

I was thinking more of attendance.

7. kteach618

kteach618 Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I have two Target Dollar Spot pocket charts (smallish) that I put labels on with their names. There is a pocket at the bottom with a bunch of laminated cardstock "cards" that say "I am on Safari today!" (jungle themed room) and they have to put that card in their name slot. Whoever isn't "on safari" is absent. (or forgot to do it haha) They also have to find and sign their name on a sign in sheet. They do this as soon as they come in the room.

8. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 11, 2006

I saw a very effective way of taking attendance and lunch count at the same time when I student teacher. The teacher had magnets w/each child's name on it. She had a milk carton, foam lunch box, and foam lunch tray in diff. columns. Students put their magnet under what they were having for lunch. Those who didn't move their magnets were considered absent.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2006

I have namecards that are also used for center time. When the kids come in, the namecards for the whole class are on the low counter by the door. They pick up their card and hang it in the right column on the fridge . In the beginning, the columns are labeled "boys" and "girls," but as the year progresses, we change them to reflect our themes. For example, when we are doing Senses, the labels may say, "I like to eat pickles," and "I do not like to eat pickles" with pictures as cues. A quick look at the counter tells who is out for the day, or at least who remembered to sign in! After the first week or school or so, most kids do remember.

In the beginning of the year, each namecard has a different sticker on it so that the kids who can't read their names yet can learn to recognize it (I teach PreK). By November, they get new cards without stickers. Then, in February, we add last names and in May we start using cards that only have their last names. My cards are just index cards with a magnet on the back to hold them up on the fridge. I use a marker to draw a border around them (red is AM, blue is PM). When I taught K, the marker borders were red, blue, yellow and green, and that dictate which "group" the kids were in for work time. I may have been with the red group, while a parent was with the yellow one, the blue one would be in the writing center and the green one in the math center...then we'd rotate. I had a big chart that told the kids which jobs they had to do that day, depending on their group.
    Kim

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2006

I don't do any sign in just for attendance. It is not always accurate since it is too easy for someone to forget or move the wrong name. If they are working at their seats, I just glance at the tables and know immediately who is missing. If they are reading on the rug, I just run down my attendance roster and glance quickly to see who is there. It honestly does not take long at all.

11. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I use the two bottom rows of a pocket chart. My theme is fish, so on a fish cutout I put the child's name on one side, their picture on the other. They will flip from their picture to their name to start with, as for lunch count they will either take their lunch card and put it in the "tray" cup or the "lunch box" cup. I use pictures to help them figure that out! It takes a while for them to get the hang of it but it is all about consistency and routine!

12. benemma

benemma Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I don't have an attendance procedure as I am a private kindergarten/preschool, so kids come for before and after care whenever the kids' parents go to work. I may do something to sort of signify the start of "the kindergarten day", though. I'm not sure.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

My Pre-K'ers sign in daily on a sheet printed their names. The sheets are on clipboards on a low counter. They sign in as the parents are signing them in. The purpose of this is name recognition, fine motor, pre-writing and a little help with separation! The children are not corrected in any way. The children enjoy it and it's a great way for parents to see the progress.

14. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

I use the names on a magnet idea. They move their name to what kind of lunch they are eating. It is a great way for them to identify their name. Last year I had 3 who had no idea what their name looked like.

It is on the front of my desk. Then I have to go to the computer and let the office know attendance and lunch count.