How do you have kids hand in work/keep track of missing work?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pamms, Jul 21, 2007.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

For a couple years I used a system where each student had a cup (large plastic cup) with their name on it. The cups were lined up in alpha order and when the kids finished work, they turned their paper into their own cup. The great thing about this was that I could tell at a glance who had not turned their work in. I even had it color coded so I knew all the red ones should be full if it was reading class, blue for math, yellow for homeroom, etc. This past year I just never got around to setting it up and realized that it was a little cumbersome to collect the papers out of the cups after each assignment. But, then this year I had the problem of getting home ready to grade papers and realizing I was missing work from a couple kids.
    How do you have kids hand in papers? How do you make sure everyone has turned in their work?

Thanks!

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I teach math all day to fifth grade so I have six classes. I have six bins with the homeroom teacher's name on it and a folder inside the bin. Attached to the top of the folder is the list of kids in that homeroom. Students have to cross their name off the list when they turn in their homework. I can glance at the bin to easily see who has not turned in their homework.

Each afternoon it is one of my student's ending class jobs to put a new homeroom list on each folder so it is ready for the next day.

4. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I have a student whose job is to go through the assignments at the end of the day and write the number(s) that are missing from the pile.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

This is something that I seem to face every year, so I'm interested in hearing how other teachers handle this problem to. Thanks for starting the discussion, pamms. :)

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I have a folder system ready for the fall. basically it is 2 folders, one red and one green.

the red one is known as the catch-up folder, any unfinished work goes in there. if they have finished their work, either on loose leaf or worksheets, they put it in the green folder called "good 2 go". I collect the folders just before lunch, and after school and do two marking sessions per day.

at the end of the day the work that is in their catch-up folder goes home for homework, the folder stays at school. the good 2 go folder also stays at school or I take it home to mark.

the reason why the catch-up folder stays at school is for students that miss a day. the work they missed is written on a "we missed you" sheet and placed, with the missed assignments in their catch-up folder. once the child returns they know exactly where their work is that they missed and can ask for help if needed.

When I get my own classroom, I am going to build a work shelf for all the kids work to go, kinda like a cubby system but slimmer with a 12" by 12" by 5" space for their paper work. any big things will be collected at their desk.

I want to try and ready my students for the "real world" little bits at a time. organizing the paper trail is one of those "real world" things.

good luck,

Mr. Skinner :D

8. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I have this cool shelf system thing that was left by the teacher before me that has small shelves and are numbered. Each kid has a number and they turn everything in there. Each morning I can look very quickly to see who's turned in their work or not.

As for missing work, I do all of my grading on my computer and it keeps track for me pretty much.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

My students have a Work-in-Progress folder, which is basically the same thing as h20mane's Good 2 Go folder. Unfortunately, some kids are better at utilizing it than others. It definitely is something that the students need to be trained to use at the beginning of the year.

10. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I use the numbering system also (1st grade). They all turn their papers into a basket with their number in the corner of their paper. I can quickly put the papers in numerical order and see who's paper is missing.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Normally, I collect papers from my "red bin" at the end of each day and organize into piles. Then, I grade them and enter them into the computer. I can get a summary from my on-line gradebook of missing work. If students are missing work, I write it on a sticky and stick it to my poster that says, "Missing In Action: Can you help find these missing assignments?".

I give them until Friday when we have our Pride Recess. If they've turned in the assignment, their name gets crossed off the sticky and they can go to recess. If not, they stay in to complete it.

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

geesh. I think your cup idea is neat. Maybe you can have a student collect the papers out of the cups for you?

13. nsatterfield

nsatterfield Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

"Accept the fact that teachers are overworked, under-appreciated, and that you will be asked almost daily to go above and beyond what is reasonable. "

This quote was on that website. I wish I would have read it last year. Probably would have saved me a couple of pity parties :)