How do you hang things up?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Unregistered, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 5, 2003

I need some help. I have never used interactive bulletin boards. I am going to try a few this year. My problem is that I don't know how to make pieces so they can be moved about the bulletin board. I have always used push pins to hang things on the bulletin board. I don't think this is a good idea for the kids to use though. How does anyone else handle this? Double stick tape? Velcro? Slots cut to stick things in? Some special sticky stuff I have not discovered yet? The things I am using are not laminated so I have to be careful not to tear them up.

I also bought a big fishbowl graphic with 100 fish and it says to put the fish in the bowl and take out 1 a day. I thought this would be good to do. Now I have to figure how to attach the fish! I know someone out there has already figured this out. Thanks for any suggestions.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2003

There is that double sided sticky tape - not the old kind, but made for teachers - to be used on walls, word walls, doors, bulletin boards, any surface at all. It does not stick permanently to anything, does not rip paper or tear paint off walls.

Now if I could only remember the name of it ........ someone will, I know!

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 6, 2003

I have a fish bowl, too! It is for counting object. I laminated everything and then attached fishies with sticky tack.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 6, 2003

Thanks for the ideas! I will check the office supply store for Sticky Tack. The school supply store doesn't carry anything like it.

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 6, 2003

It would be nice to make your board magnetic so you could use magnets. Maybe there is some type of metallic surface that could be attached over the board? I love using magnets... at least the "stickiness" doesn't wear out or make a mess. ;)

7. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Aug 6, 2003

I bought some small clips at the teacher store. I think they are called "sticky clips". They are about 1/2 inch long and have wax on the back. They are great for holding papers, numbers on the calendar and studd like that.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 22, 2003

I love magnets, too! Isn't there such a thing as magnetic spray paint?

9. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 22, 2003

In the past, when I've done interactive bulletin boards, I have covered the board in felt and then attached a small section of the "hooked" kind of velcro. Then the whole background is the fuzzy side of the velcro. I'm not sure what kind of bulletin board you are making, but I've found using felt to cover your boards very handy. In fact ALL of my bulletin boards have felt as the backing.

Nick

10. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 23, 2003

Great idea, Nick. Boy if you could see the wheels turning in my head!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 23, 2003

Thanks for all the ideas. I bought some sticky tack stuff by Dap and it sticks. I used it on one of my boards--where they move fish around. They have to be pulled off and put on several times a day and the kids are having a terrible time pulling the items off and moving them around. The sticky stuff sticks to the wall sometimes, others to the fish. They are bending the fish all to pieces too trying to get them off. Sticks too well it seems. I guess it might be better for things you don't move much.

I also tried a magnet board and got some magnet tape and glued to the back of clothes for our weather bear. That seems to work okay except they can't put a coat on over a shirt because the magnets repel each other.

I am in the process of making some on a felt board for the next one. I guess it will be trial and error until I find something that works good. I heard that sandpaper works like the velcro hooks to the flannel. Has anyone tried this? By the end of the year I hope I have this mastered! Thanks again for all the ideas.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2003

If you have flannel for the background, could you put a bit of flannel on the back of your pieces and mount them that way?

13. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 25, 2003

I've used sandpaper on felt and it does work, it also keeps the felt from getting fuzzy as velro sometimes tends to pull at the fibers. Felt on felt also works well. Good luck in finding a solution!!