how do you handle vocabulary?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ms_chandler, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I teach 7th grade ELA for 95 mins. every day all year. Monday is what I call VOCABULARY DAY. What are your ideas? Do you make kids define their words or give them the definitions? What are your activities? Do you give a pretest? When do you test?

3. kiddiekat

kiddiekat New Member

Aug 14, 2007

I am new to teaching, but I'll be in 7th grade LA, also. I was planning to do a vocabulary word one day each week also.:) I begin in exactly 1 week and I still don't really have any other ideas. I thought I would do the vocabulary as the bellringer one day--have them copy the word(s)-either with the definition or have them look it up-in their journals, write a short 3 sentence para. to show that they understand it. Then maybe do a test after 3 or so weeks on the words they have had.

I know this is probably not much help to a veteran teacher, but I would appreciate feedback from you on my idea. :thanks: Do you have any other bellringer ideas I could use? Thanks.

4. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Have the students act out each vocabulary word. I usually break them into groups and have them present the skit to the class. The class has to guess the correct vocabulary word.

We also create vocabulary flip books. At the bottom of the page students write the vocab. word. At the top of the page is the definition. In the middle, students must illustrate the word meaning.

Fortune Teller/Cootie Catcher
    (In order to understand this activity, It's easiest to actually make your own example with the class.)
    - Teach the class how to fold the fortune teller.
    -On the front they write the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4
    - Then when the flip over on the back you should be able to see the outline of eight triangles. This is where they write the vocabulary words.
    - Open the flaps that have the vocabulary words on them and write the corresponding definition.
    -The class then breaks into pairs and quiz each other.

5. ELAteacher

ELAteacher Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

My school is really stressing that we do "Two-column notes" this year. I'm going to do this with vocabulary. This is how you do it:

Make two columns.
    Write the vocabulary word in the left column.
    In the right column, write three things:
    - the definition
    - the part of speech
    - use in a sentence

Also have the students demonstrate that they understand the word's meaning by seeing the word in a "cold text" (a new text) and see the word in a new context.

6. Sluggermel

Sluggermel Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

You could have them first try to guess what they think the word means (teach them how to look for prefixes or suffixes that may help them understand the word) and then after they write what they think the word means, they can look it up in a dictionary, or you can have copies of definition strips with the definition that they can copy down or paste (I am assuming you have a vocab notebook or folder). Then after they have the real definition, they can circle how much they understand it using a numerical system (1 being not at all, 4 being understand it completely), and then they can illustrate it and/or use the word in a sentence. If there is extra time, then they can share with a partner. If you're doing a whole 95 minute period on vocab, then you can also have them act out the words too. I'm not sure which vocab words you are choosing to teach (if they will be taken from novels you are reading with them, or if you are randomly giving them words), but the book Vocabulary Cartoons is a great book to use with kids. It teaches vocab words in cartoon form and gives you ways to remember it. They seem to love it! Good luck!

7. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 28, 2007

Here are some activities for after you've taught the words:
    1. have kids draw a picture of a situation that represents each word
    2. have kids write a short skit using the word (best with partners or groups)
    3. Make word cards instead of flashcards (definition, own sentence, personal clue)
    4. create a crossword or wordsearch with the words
    5. t chart: one side has synonyms, one side lists antonyms

Hope that helps! PM me if you want me to email you any files.

8. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

Great ideas!

9. teacher83

teacher83 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

I teach vocabulary everyday, with what I call word(s) of the day (as a part of the bellwork). I have found that when you integrate vocabulary in everyday lessons, they learn the words better. I also give the student an activity of putting them on teams and having them match the words with the definition (you add examples in it to make it more challenging). Last year I tested vocabularly every week. :rolleyes:

10. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I don't know if you play any games on Vocabulary Day, but here's a vocabulary game I recently learned about. It's based on a T.V. gameshow, but I forget the name of it (Pyramid?) I've played it before and my students love it...

Talk a Mile a Minute
    1. Have students sit with a partner. One partner faces the overhead screen, the other has their back to the screen so they can't see it.
    2. The teacher puts a transparency on the overhead that has about 5-8 vocabulary words on it. (The words should all pertain to a certain category. For example, the category might be "Parts of Speech" and the words on the list might be verb, pronoun, adjective, noun, preposition, adverb, and conjunction) The students have 3 minutes to get their partner to guess all of the words on the screen without actually saying the vocab. word. When the timer goes off that's the end of the round.
    3. Partners switch places and a new round with a new category begins.

11. teacher83

teacher83 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

that is nice! I will be using that one too.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 1, 2007

Good heavens: that's the lightning round from the old Password game show, except that these words are thematically linked and those weren't.

(Showing my age, I am...)

13. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

The book Vocabulary Unplugged is a great resource. I have 5 words per week. We learn the spelling,part of speech and definition. We do games and activities during the week and test on Friday. We squat the syllables, act out the words, draw pictures, do crosswords and make posters. With only 5 words, the kids really do learn them and remember them throughout the year.