How do you handle planning...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chebrutta, Aug 15, 2012.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

with other teachers?

Do you do the exact same thing every day?
    Do you cover the same topics but do it in your own way?
    Do you do your own thing?

There's a bit of controversy about this right now... I'd like some feedback from other teachers :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

We have a pacing guide; we all know where we need to be by Christmas, Easter, and June when the 3 trimeters end, since there are cumulative exams.

Beyond that, it's a lot of "Where are you with your Honors kids?" type stuff. We're all pretty good about sharing worksheets, review sheets or anything of the sort, so we always have a good idea of where the rest of the department is.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 15, 2012

My current district is more like what Alice describes, but my student teaching district was not. During my student teaching, we had to be on the exact same page, the exact same day, the exact same HW, same tests/quizzes/projects. I didn't like it as it was pretty following along with what the vet teacher wanted.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

We are supposed to give common assessments, but the manner in which we teach the curriculum is up to the individual teachers. That being said, I still do collaborate all the time with one of the other World History teachers. We have planned our lessons together for over ten years. We don't necessarily do the same exact thing every day, but it's usually pretty close. Our classrooms are right across from each other so that helps, too. There is one other person who teaches the same class. He does many of the same lessons as us, but we don't collaborate as much since his classroom is further down the hall. The three of us all have the same planning period this year, so that will help us with collaboration quite a bit. (It's still not required, though, aside from the assessments.)

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

We have daily pacing guides, but everyone pretty much made their own changes here and there where they needed to.

This year the school is moving away from the daily pacing guides for each grade level, saying one class may need an extra day or two on a certain topic where another class might only need one day. They're leaving the pacing more up to the teachers but I'm not sure how this will work with deadlines for data and stuff like that.

We do cover all the same basic topics and we speak about how we might approach things but everyone is left to do it his or her own way if they want. Everyone is pretty open about sharing things though. Some grade levels share lesson plans but my grade level last year did not do this.

I like to listen to what others are doing and maybe take an idea or two here and there but I do like the freedom of not having to teach something exactly the same way as someone else. I like that I'm able to select my own read alouds and materials for reading and social studies. Math we use Everyday Math so there's not much of a difference in what's going on in each classroom. Science I'd say we all do very similar things.

We have two grade level meetings a week (up from 1 two years ago) it definitely gives us a lot of time to work together and bounce ideas off of one another.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

As long as we cover the general curriculum, we have a lot of flexibility. One of my two colleagues who teach the same class as I do plans with me more than the other, and through first semester we'll be pretty much in sync, but second semester we've chosen to teach different novels, so our classes are completely different.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 15, 2012

Basically, as it stands now, I plan. I think my co-teacher (the other 1st grade teacher) is pretty much on the same page, but we definitely have our own ways of teaching things, and, with RtI and data-driven instruction, our students sometimes need us to go at different rates. Mostly, we customize it through our delivery styles, read alouds, etc.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

This is a touchy subject with me.
    A teammate of mine seems to think we should all assign the exact same things on the exact same day. I get annoyed because she is very old-school and I am not. We have been departmentalized for a few years, but I am worried since we will be going back to self contained. I don't use a math book- she never lets her's out of her sight. I used to 'agree' and then do whatever I wanted when I actually taught. It required double planning, but it helped my headache.
    I do have a new second teammate since I was last self contained. I hope this helps me.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

We plan the topics for the week toether and some activitiy ideas, but how you teach it and if you use all of the activities discussed is up to you. Honestly, our new curriculum maps are in 3 week bundles and are pretty specific, so even without planning together we would be pretty close.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

We have the same learning targets and give the same assessments on the same days. We use most of the same resources, but we teach different ways and sometimes switch out materials.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

I have four teachers on my team. Two are really experienced and the other teacher and I are on our first week :) (her first week ever, my first week of regular ed classroom). We have a district curriculum guide that we have to follow as far as pacing, so of course we're doing that. The experienced teachers have been giving us some of their resources and helping us out a lot. We have to do daily learning targets and one of the experienced teachers has been making me copies of hers so I can get used to what they're supposed to sound like. She also sometimes will drop off an activity that she's doing with her class and tell me I'm welcome to use it too if I want, but makes sure I know I don't have to do exactly what she does. Implementing 5 brand new curriculums at the same time is very overwhelming, so at the moment I'm very thankful for everything she's given me!

We don't sit down and plan together and make sure we're all doing the same activities. The gen ed teachers at my old school did that, and tbh I think it would drive me crazy. Obviously we're covering the same topics due to the pacing guide, but as far as planning together, it's more just sharing ideas and resources. I've used some of what the other teachers have given me and brought in some of my own also. We'll talk about what day we want to start giving homework or what day to test, but we don't plan our individual lessons together.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 15, 2012

We have a scope and sequence we follow, but we also meet as a team weekly to plan our lessons together. We look at data frequently and if a teacher has substantially higher scores, we ask her to share how she may have taught the material. Even though we are pretty much teaching the same things, each teacher brings his/her own personality and experience to each lesson.

14. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 16, 2012

We test in two week periods.. so we plan where we want to be in two weeks and then we do a week status update. It's become known as our Weekly Sunday email.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for the replies.

I got the answer I was hoping for from my boss (cover the same concepts, but you don't have to do the same exact thing every day), but the other teacher is really, really pushing for the same thing every day... I'm pretty stressed out right now :(

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Let her push all she wants. You asked your boss and got the answer.

Don't let her stress you out.