How do you handle other teachers misconduct?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JLW, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

but a bong doesn't fit my definition of "misconduct".....more of a misdemeanor. Misconduct to me is taking things out of someone's lunch or taking credit for an idea that a peer came up with. I'd steer clear of anyone who uses a bong, let alone owns one.

2. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 4, 2008

And, you know, as a science teacher, drug education always angered me. We shouldn't pay for pop stars and catchy slogans. I'd much prefer a commercial like

Picture of a healthy girl. BAM! Picture of that girl on crack. BAM! Picture of the inside of her nostils.

Trust me, the STD pictures in sex ed do more than the lovey-dovey stastical failiure abstinence videos they push on us.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

In some schools/districts, yes. Most often, I think, it wouldn't necessarily be a "You were at a party with pot, so now you're fired" situation. It would probably be more like, "You are suspected of smoking pot, and even though we can't prove it, we don't want the scandal that will surely come if we keep you around. Resign now and we won't investigate this further."

Plus, there is the phenomenon known as a "contact high"....It's entirely possible for someone who didn't actually smoke pot to earn drug test results showing pot in his or her system. And that will very likely get you fired, regardless of the explanation given.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 4, 2008

Thank you, Cassie! I was beginning to feel as if I were the only person on earth who knew/believed that! Contact highs CAN cause positive drug test results. Is mine the only district that has the right to do random drug screening?

5. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, contact highs are the only worries I have at metal concerts. Luckily enough, the last Iron Maiden show was heavily policed and the guy who lit up next to me was ejected within three minutes.

6. JLW

JLW Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

When I did utility disconnects in this city they would not test anyone. The contact high you'd get off of walking into the houses would yield positive results, and the corp. knew it.

I would walk out of disconnects high as a kite. The interiors would look like the end result of a fog machine at a rock show. The police were so overwhelmed they don't bother answering the reported calls. You can bike down the streets here and openly smell pot.

It's a major reason I went back to teaching.

I am deeply, personally upset with the teachers I met at that party, indulging themselves and then punishing students the next day for doing exactly the very same thing.

How immoral.

How terribly immoral.

I'm used to teachers in the REAL inner city, in which the chaff has been discarded, and the teachers left are better than that; as they know better.

The whole thing depressed me.

I'm going to the District Party (held at a public park) in another few weeks, with my lovely daughter, and I will go, and I will socialize with these very same persons, and as I am low man on the Totem pole, I will say nothing.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2008

Beautifully written, JLW. You have an exceptional written voice. Perhaps you could turn it into a "fictional" letter to the editor of a local paper?♠

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

:soapbox:
    I totally disagree...the one point you failed to make between the alcohol and the cigarettes versus marijuana is that marijuana is illegal...plus, testing positive for nicotine or alchohol will not get you fired...marijuana trace in a random drug test will, and possibly get your teaching license suspended or revoked. I personally am not willing to lose what I have worked the majority of my adult life for due to the carelessness, and quite frankly stupidity of an obviously hypocritical teacher(s).

Yes, this is America, and we as teachers are supposed to be setting examples for others....America has laws, and one of them is that pot consumption is not allowed...

You can tell me I am overreacting if you want to, but I believe that if something is illegal...it doesn't fall under "land of the free" statutes.

Personally, I think this situation falls under mandatory report, and I would be willing to fight that battle.

:mad: And another thing, I believe all humans are fallible, but I do not believe all teachers are "as stupid and weak" as other people...I think we are very intelligent and strong, and yeah, we have stress, but we don't need pot to destress. And, yeah, we all think education is the key, but if we are peaching that pot muddles the mind and kills brain cells, but then we are "lighting up" and killing our own brain cells...that is uber-hypocritical...privacy of our own homes or not!

I will get off my :soapbox: now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I don't see how it is very immoral. The teachers are teaching the kids that they shouldn't do drugs and they shouldn't as kids. When they are adults and fully understand the consequences then they can make their own decisions. These teachers are teaching it because they have to. I teach things in religion all the time that I don't believe.

A lot of teachers have done illegal things. I speed a lot. That is illegal and also dangerous. But I would hope no one would look down upon me as a horrible person and teacher for it.

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

The real problem here is that "drugs" illicit this image of
    shadowy alleys and dangerous thugs with weapons
    along with needles and crime. Just because the "govt"
    says something is illegal does not make it morally wrong.
    Some would say that abortion is murder and one of the most
    awful things in the world but YOUR govt. says it is ok.
    So you believe you need to run to the police and tell them about those
    horrible folks smoking the weed in their own home. If you are that vigilant I would suggest looking at some of the children
    we teach and calling in some of those parents. Child abuse is a terrible thing and much worse than someone smoking dope.
    And last let me be clear about stupidity. I meant that we have the same % of idiots in our prof. as pretty much any other but I would say we probably care more about kids than any other
    career.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

Perception is everything. Unless the law changes, taking hits off a bong is perceived as immoral and is DEFINITELY seen as illegal. While it may seem to some to be over the top to stop socializing with people simply because of their off-duty habits, in this case, JLW would be covering his tuchas.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! I would stay away from them that's for sure.