How do you handle missing assignments?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Sep 7, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Sep 7, 2015

Just curious. What is your method for keeping up with work/late assignments? I feel like mine isn't cutting it!

I have a few kids that consistently don't turn things in on time, or I am just missing them all together. I'm bad about not clearing out my turn in trays each day, so sometimes the assignments get all jumbled together, and then I start wondering, "Well, did I lose this assignment?"

Progress reports are going out this week, and I have several assignments missing from a select few kiddos. Just not sure how you handle this. Do you just give them a zero? Honestly, last year, I never gave zeros, but it is so exhausting to do that (and frustrating). I hate having to constantly track kids down for their work. I also can't help but feeling that in college and their careers, they will not be tracked down for every little thing. They will just fail the class or lose their job, so am I really doing them any favors by constantly tracking down the same kids? I don't know. What are your thoughts?

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 7, 2015

What grade?

4. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Sep 7, 2015

It's fourth grade.

5. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Sep 7, 2015

I would change your homework collection procedure. When I taught 6th grade, I had students hold up their homework so I could visually see who had it. Then I would write down the names of kids who didn't have their homework, and then they would pass the papers forward and the students at the front would put all the papers in a folder. Usually they did this as I was setting up for the next lesson. I would hold up the folder and say "last call for homework"..... Then with your list of those who didn't have it, you can decide if you want to give them a zero, email parents, accept it late, etc.

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 7, 2015

I teach 7th so I do not know if I have great advice but this is what I do, I use engrade.com and I give one warning to students about missing work and send home a notice that has to be signed and returned to me stating that the student is missing said work. If it is not handed in, it is a 0. I always expect late work, just not for full credit (ex; homework is always out of 2 points, if its late, it becomes 1 point)

For major assignments that go inside a student's portfolio, I have the student write out what assignment they are missing and tell them they can cross that off when they return it (something about making THEM write out that they have a 0 because they did not turn it in seems to help encourage them to hand it in)

I also usually do not lose work because I collect everything at once and then place in folder with rubber band around it. As for late work, I have a late work folder for each class and it gets filed in there.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

When I collect homework, I require every student to hand in something. If they don't have the assignment done , they hand in a pink slip. On the pink slip, they fill out name of assignment, check off their reason for not completing it , tell me when they plan to complete the assignment, and sign the bottom. I keep it on a clipboard for the class, remind the student every day for 3 classes and then zero it if they haven't handed it in. Works for me.

8. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 7, 2015

I never collect homework. I check in the morning who has it, who does not then we review it together. Other assignments I just have them complete in class with us. But I kind of agree that I should establish a more concrete way of making sure kids hand stuff in.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

At my last school, district policy was a minimum 55% so missing work was a nightmare. Convincing kids that they wanted to do the work was the only way to win the battle.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2015

I like that!

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 8, 2015

I have a Missing Assignment sheet that students must fill out when they don't have an assignment that's due. That way I have a record. If they don't turn in a form, it's just a zero.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 8, 2015

I give students plenty of chances to turn homework in, and frequently post their grades on the walls so they can see what they're missing. In addition, our online gradebook allows us to email the parents of students who are missing work, so I do that.

About once or twice a quarter, I pull students who are failing in at lunch and require them to complete missing work, and contact their parents.

I feel like that's a lot as it is, and if they still don't turn in the work, well, you can lead a horse to water.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 8, 2015

Big fan of Koriemo's tactic for older elementary. That's awesome.

I've made Friday my "turn-in day". I schedule a little bit of make-time for mercy/no-excuses, and then everything from the week must be turned in, finished or not. For my younger kids, it at least gives me something to look at, and I like to imagine it encourages responsibility and urges kids to get things done.

I do collect the actual homework, largely because we have some school goals this year involving homework and home reading and I slapped those on the same sheet of paper. I do like the idea of not collecting it, so I'll look into strategies of getting the same required information (who did the homework, how many reading minutes did we get this week) without the paper actually being turned in.

I also had to train myself to go through the turn-in basket daily.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 8, 2015

I'm a bit of a stinker that way. Even at my level I think the missing work really needs to be the concern of the students. This means I have to train 8-year-olds to be responsible and perhaps even care, but really, by 8th grade they should be caring by themselves.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 8, 2015

Students who do not have homework have to fill out a "I didn't do my work" slip that I keep in a binder at the student work area. Whenever I grade a set of papers, I write down the name of any student who didn't give me a paper on an index card and put it in an organizer in the student work area. That way students can see what they are missing without having to ask.

When they turn in the work, they mark the name off the list and put the work in a missing work bin on my desk.