How do you handle Homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ali, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I am interested to know how all of you handle homework, especially in the intermediate grades. How much do you assign? How often? Do you have consequences for unfinished work? How do you handle children who are habitual homework problems? What about those students who have very little support at home? Thanks for your feedback!

3. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

I am also curious to hear how some of you handle homework. Last year, I have a handful of students who continually did not turn in homework. I tried giving table points for those that completed it, I used Behavior Bucks, made them complete it at recess, and still everyday they would come in with no homework. How can I motivate them to do their work? Contacting the parents was only a temporary solution. Some of these students do not have the parental support that they need. My homework for the week usually consisted of, a Reading Log, a spelling activity, and a math assignment. Sometimes there would be an extra activity that they would complete throughout the year.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Since this is my first year teaching I haven't tried this yet. But this is what I am going to do. I'm not going to punish students that don't do their home work. Instead there will be a logical consequence. For example if they didn't do the homework than they don't get to participate during the sharing of HW, or if it is something I want done than when others have free choice time these students can do the homework. For those I know don't have the support at home. I may sit down and help them before I start my day or at the end of the day.

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Well, I teach 1st, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be. I assign daily homework worksheets, but in addition, my students also have a weekly packet to finish along with what's posted on the homework calendar. All of these assignments are due on Fridays.

I keep track of how many sheets I assigned. For each missing page, I take off 10 points. For pages half done, 5 points, for empty pages, 10 points.

The students who turn in all completed homework sheets get to enter a Friday raffle drawing for something special like extra center time or a special Word Search in color.

I'm waiting to see for this...but if I have a problem with several students who don't turn in homework, I will institute the Homeworkopoly Game, which I have heard from several teachers works very well.

For students that receive little support at home, they should have a friend around the neighborhood that they could get together with to do homework. If allow no exceptions for any circumstances. I hold the same expectations for all students regardless of their situation. It lets the student know that I expect the same from him/her and not less. I hope this helps :) :) Even though it is from a first grade teacher :p

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

I teach 5th. Our parish policy is no more than 10 minutes per grade level of written homework. (So that would be 50 minutes for me.) I don't usually send a great deal of written unless it's finishing something that we didn't get to finish in class. Mostly it's reading and/or studying. I just wrote out how I handle those not doing homework here. Since I don't send a great deal home, I am pretty strict about expecting to get it back.

7. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Christy,
    I read the other post that talks about your homework policy. Do you have a copy of the form that you use. I like this idea a lot! I am planning on sending home Friday Folders with the weeks work and any notes from me and that form would be good to include in the information the students takes home for the parent to review and sign. Do you check homework first thing in the morning? Also, do you have students swap papers and grade them in class? I was so swamped with grading last year, that I am trying to find a way to make it a tiny bit easier on me. :)

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

I posted the form here (next to last post in the thread on page 1.) I don't actually check that they completed homework every day. I might check 2 or 3 days in a row, then skip a day or so. (They never know if I'm going to check, and if they tell me that they didn't do it, then I definitely check.) I don't grade the homework, we just go over it in class.

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

Typically, I don't assign "homework" unless it is an extra math skill/drill worksheet or studying for a test. Any unfinished classwork becomes homework. If the work was not turned in by the start of class the following day, it earned that student a lunch detention. That student must eat at a specific, silent table at lunch and then miss recess to complete the work. THIS YEAR I plan to do things differently. I know I am getting a class that has had some habitual issues about not completing hw, and I don't want these kids missing recess all the time (since some of the same kids are habitual behavior problems!) I am planning to use homeworkopoly as a positive discipline, and any student with unfinished work will just have to complete it before going outside to play, no detention. That way if they get on the ball and get it done, they can still go outside for a while. I do check for missing assignments daily, I trust no one to tell me everything has been handed in. Even the best kids just forget to pull things out of the folder/backpack, and if I wait too long before asking for it, it will have fallen into a black hole somewhere, never to be seen again! If the work is not handed in to me by the end of the school day, points will be deducted from the grade.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

I just thought of this (not my homework policy) when I was in fourth to sixth grade I did not do my homework in the winter months. I hated playing outside in the cold. My sixth grader teacher finally caught on and made me go out. I could only stay in if I finished my homework.

11. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

JaimeMarie,
    I'm cold natured, so I understand when kids don't want to go out. If I'm in my room, my students are always able to come in from recess during winter months if they are too cold....provided they sit and read! Therefore, not doing homework won't really help them!

12. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

I want to do the Friday Folder as well, where there's a written communication between parents and I about that week's progress and/or missing assignments. My question is: The Friday Folder houses graded papers throughout the week and the data sheet. Does nightly homework get sent home in a different folder then? How does this work?

Also, I plan on using an incentive plan where all of my students who have turned in their homework for the quarter (except one assignment - that's their freebie) will get to pick out what they want to eat and have either breakfast or lunch with me.

I hope it works. This will be my first year teaching. =)

13. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

Christy - Thank you for the link to the other post. ;) So do you use any of their homework as part of their % grade for each subject area?

Ali - I am going to have students file their homework papers in file folders and then at the end of the week they will pull these out and also put them in their Friday Folders. If there is a day that they didn't turn in homework, a homework form that just says missing assignment with the date on it will be put in the folder as well.

14. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

Sorry Ali, I meant to address my respone to zoebra :eek: :eek:

15. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 10, 2006

Thanks everyone for your responses. the reason I posted in the first place is because My school is currently undergoing many changes and I'm afraid I will have to change my HW policies/procedures. I wanted to see what some of the rest of you were doing.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

No problem! No, I don't assign a grade with homework at all. It goes against our parish policy to do so. In the past I have had kids who weren't able to get homework done (not their fault - due to family situations). One was a little boy that had to take care of his baby sister until she went to sleep, then he would eat supper and stay up to all hours trying to do homework. I worked out a plan with him for him to come into the room first thing (they go to the duty room until the bell rings normally) and work on it. I altered the plan for him. (He was the one who had to get up with her during the night, too. Sometimes he would miss the bus and end up an hour or so late because he walked to school (he lived about 3 miles from school.)

17. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

Christy...quick question....Where was that boy's parents?? Why weren't they taking care of the little sister?? Bless his dedicated little heart.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

His mom was there, we never knew who his father was (although his grandfather paid his mother each month and had been "questioned" for molesting her.) She had issues and a live-in boyfriend. The boyfriend didn't like the baby and felt like she got in the way. I called social services to check on the baby during the day. J worried constantly that his mom wasn't feeding her or taking care of her. He was the sweetest child. They moved at the end of the year and I don't know where he is now.

19. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

At my school, the other 4th grade teacher and I created homework packets that would be sent home on Friday. She had bits due each day (Tuesday-Friday of the following week), and I just had my students' HW due the following Friday. This also included a reading log that had to be signed. The homework that we sent home was review/reinforcement. I always included a reading comprehension and math skills practice. Out of a class of 28, I rarely had more than 5 that did not turn the work in on time. Many had it turned in early. We were not allowed to "grade" homework, but we had a section on our report card that listed various "Learning Skills" like completing homework, time on task, etc. If students rarely completed homework, they got a 1, if they did it sometimes they got a 2, and most of the time got a 3. I try to provide some positive reinforcement for the students to complete homework. I kept a sticker chart, and at least once a quarter I would invite those students who turned in all work (I usually allowed the students to miss one assignment and still qualify) to have lunch in the classroom with a treat, or we would vote on another fun reward.

The downside to this plan was that I often did not have time to go over all of the homework. I would try to go over at least part of it. I am not sure what my new school's rules/procedures are for HW, so I don't know what I plan to do this year :)