How do you handle h/w in third grade?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teacher_cc, Jul 23, 2008.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

Hi teachers!

I wanted to know how third grade teachers distribute and grade h/w? Do you give it out daily, then collect, grade and give back the next day?

My mentor teacher had a checklist, and every morning students would place all hw on the table..she would walk to each student and check spelling, reading, math. If they didn't have something she would write it on the checklist next to their name and day. Then the student would do it at recess.

I think this is a good idea, and I will probably do it this way. Does anyone do something similiar or different?

3. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I prefer giving homework once a week. It would come in a packet on Monday and needed to be returned on Friday. It is easier on the students and easier on the teacher :)

4. redrose21

redrose21 Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I agree with Mrs. Math. I give mine out on Monday and collect it and check it on Friday. I find that it wastes too much of my time to check it each morning. If they didn't finish something they do it on recess Friday and the next week I make them stay after school until that days homework is done. They dread staying after school to do homework and it usually only takes them once staying after for the week. I found this to be the easiest way for me.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2008

I do a once a week packet as well. It makes things MUCH easier for me.

I check them on Friday morning and if they didn't turn it in, they had to do it at recess as well (some people can't do that though.) Usually the kids brought them back. I give 4 math and 4 spelling assignments, plus they are expected to read at home.

6. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Last year my grade's set homework schedule went something like this: Monday- read the story for HW, Wed- study for reading test, Thur- study for spelling test and DOL test. They always KNEW they had that each week. We have a new reading series this year, so I'm not sure if this schedule will stay the same, but it probably will be close. We did Saxon Math, so if they didn't have a test, they had at least one Math sheet daily. In my class, they had time to work on "Classwork" such as vocabulary, spelling, phonics, etc" . If it was not completed by the end of the day- and they had several chances- then the "classwork" became "homework". Usually only 2 or 3 regulars had the extra to do at home.
    As for checking- while they were working on classwork, I would check to see who turned in there homework. It didn't take extra time, and they got rewarded with tickets if I didn't have to ASK them for it. If they didn't finish it, they paid me a ticket and had to finish it during free time or recess. Hope this helps.

7. Mr. & Mrs.D

Mr. & Mrs.D Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I have done daily reading record, spelling, and a math sheet daily. I have found that it does take more of my time in the morning than I want to devote to hw. This coming year I want to do weekly packets for reading and spelling w/math daily. What about handing out packets on Fridays and collecting them on Thurs.? I think this way I can check them afterschool on Thurs. and figure out who gets a special treat on Friday. Thoughts?

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

I think once a week for 3rd graders is best and you don't have to grade some many papers each day. You can spend more time doing other things and grade the packets etc..

9. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 24, 2008

I have a similar system. I assign homework nightly Mon-Thur and students turn it in the following day. All homework is placed on their desks in the AM along with their assignment books (I check for a parent sig). I come around to each student's desk and check off the assignments. I use a reg grade book for this. Any assignments not completed at home must be completed during recess.

10. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Hmmm...I'm pondering what to do as well. This will be my first year teaching 3rd as well. GREAT IDEAS!!!

11. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I am horrible at staying on track all the time, so I can't assign all my homework on Monday for the week. It just doesn't work for me.

I write the homework on the board and it is the students responsibility to write it in their agenda and to make sure they have everything they need to complete it. I tell them, they are responsible for everything and I do not accept excuses such as "I forgot to take it home" The following morning they turn in their homework and I check it off on a poster in my room. They get a star if it was in the basket on time with their name. they get a check if they didn't write their name or didn't turn it in on time. At the end of the week if they have stars for the whole week they are part of my homework club. the homework club is given a reward which is different each week (a homework pass, a pencil, etc.)

It isn't a big deal for me to check it in the morning, it only takes 5 minutes and I do it while they are doing morning work and watching the announcements.

12. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Stacey...I was curious...you said you checked your homework as students WATCHED announcements? Do you guys broadcast announcements? That is so cool if you do!

13. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I don't formally assign homework...any daily work not completed by the time they go home must be finished as homework. I am not a big fan of homework. I expect kids to read at night and practice math facts, study spelling words, etc. I usually only assign extra homework if select students/whole class needs extra practice on basic math facts. All work is then due the next morning at 8:15. I'm not organized enough to do homework packets ahead of time, anyways. HA

14. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I see we have the same screen name, that's wierd!
    How do you know if they are reading, practicing facts, and studying spelling? Do you have a way that you keep track of this? I totally agree with you about not giving kids a lot of homework. I would rather they spend 20-30 min. per night reading something they enjoy!

15. rwill

rwill New Member

Jul 30, 2008

I've always given reading and math homework every night except Friday. I want the kids to enjoy their weekend. I didn't like the packets because I felt rushed correcting them by Friday noon so I can hand it back to them.

16. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

I can tell if they studied spelling by grading the weekly test.:lol: Practicing math facts is just about as easy to check. I require my kids to take a certain amount of AR tests per week or show me a chapter book if they haven't taken any tests and tell me about what they have read. I let all parents know at the beginning of the year that these are things that must be done. If I sent home a paper for a parent to sign saying their kid is studying spelling, math, etc. for a certain amount of minutes per night, we all know some parents will sign anything just to keep the kid out of trouble, not caring if they study or not. I figure grades say it all.

Funny about the screen name.....guess that space between the period is important!!

17. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Stacey- what kind of poster do you use? Does it have the different subjects or just a general space. Do you count unfinished seat work that they had to complete at home in this when you are checking? I like the idea of a chart, but could never get into the habit of a clipboard chart. The poster might be easier for me since it is large and constantly reminding me (an the students) to check.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

I'm going to use choose-a-chart this year. I think homework should be a review, so we'll make a simple 'chart' on large paper at the end of each lesson to wrap up what we've learned, maybe writing a few story problems or graphs to solve. Then I'll fold it up, put it in a zip lock bag and place it in the chart bin. The kids can choose one each night to take home and complete in their notebook. I'll collect these on Friday morning-no homework on Friday or the weekends! I think this is a lot more fun than problems out of the book, and parents can know to always expect a chart home. Science and social studies will be more project based and very seldom, and then of course reading every night. We use Sitton spelling, so we're not suppose to give word lists. I'm not sure what I'm doing with that yet.

http://www.geocities.com/mrmooresroom/chooseachart.html

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

I assign homework every night, including Fridays (I know, I'm mean!) I check it everyday in the morning as well.