How do you handle a child with an emotional disability?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mykids1, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010

This child has a difficult time with math. He hates math. How can I handle this child without getting him frustrated?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2010

In my experience, math frustrations are usually due to an inability to understand the concepts. I would recommend finding out what level the child's skills are at and begin your teaching at that level. If the child can understand the concept, the frustration level should decrease. Can you tell us the grade level and some of the concepts you are working on? We may be able to give more specific advice.

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 5, 2010

I have a lot of students with emotional disabilities. I try to always phrase everything in positive terms. If he/she is having a tough time completing a certain type of problem, then try to mix them with problems that come easy to him/her. For example, if you are working on regrouping, then mix in problems that don't need to be regrouped. I find that this increases their confidence. Good luck!

5. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 6, 2010

I would use manipulatives. Ie instead of just telling how to multiply fractions, have him color in lines on folded pieces of paper to see the why behind it