How do you handle a child who can't participate in PE or recess?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mmswm, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 4, 2012

My son has been ordered out of PE and recess for the remainder of the year due to complications from a genetic bone condition. I've never had to deal with this issue as a teacher, so I'm curious how schools handle this type of situation. What might I expect his school to do with him during those times? What alternatives have your schools offered kids who can't participate? How can I help the child who's sure to feel singled out during those times? UGH. 80 million questions. Zero ideas. I feel so helpless. Thanks. :)

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 4, 2012

How old is he?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2012

Oh, I hate to hear that. How does he feel about it all?

I think it's quite a bit younger, but in seventh grade I skipped PE and worked in the office. I answered the phone and took messages.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 4, 2012

William is 9 and in the 3rd grade. He's a little anxious, but happy that at least he doesn't have to be in a wheel chair yet. That option was discussed, but we decided against it for now. We will revisit the idea in 3 months, or if the pain becomes unmanageable again.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2012

When you say pulled from recess and PE I am guessing you mean the physically active parts of those things.

I would provide the child with board games and set up a place to play the games at recess. Maybe try and set up a quiet area where the students who like to read and do calm stuff can gather. If out on the playground can't happen then I would find out if it is possible for game activities to happen in the office or send him as a helper with a friend to a younger class that has a different recess time.

Have you talked to the staff about having him get occupational therapy? Are there any specific exercises that would be appropriate for him? I had a child with muscular dystrophy in my class one year and the occupational therapist had a specific list of things he could do during PE, he had an aide to help him though. If that is not happening, due to PE being a prep for me, I probably would seek out another teacher who has an entertaining activity at the same time and send him to that class for the PE time. If it is a day or so I have the child sit out and read. All year I would feel that either the child would need a specific helping job and opportunities to participate in some way that keeps the child engaged with the PE or to be elsewhere if possible.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 5, 2012

Yes, I would have him do games. He could also do computer time during recess. My kids love that.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

We offer an alternative PE at my school for students who cannot participate in PE. Usually it involves some kind of activity...and they use the wii a lot during this time. We also have some students that cheer for the teams and act as sports managers during PE.

At recess, many of the students want to sit around and talk...so I'm not sure that we would offer anything differently.

Is William already on an IEP or 504 plan?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

One of my students had surgery for scoliosis early this year so she is unable to participate in any Phys Ed activities for the remainder of the year. She goes with the class to the gym and sits either on the stage or off to the side. She keeps score during games, helps with equipment, acts as cheerleader, etc. She is responsible for learning the rules of the sports that are introduced, being able to describe the skills that are taught and must be able to diagram set plays. She does go outside for recess and talks with her friends (which is what they all do at her age).

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 5, 2012

I have a family member with a physical disability who has told me many times that, when he was growing up, people gave him board games and coloring books when all he wanted was a toy truck or something a little more active. What about getting a remote-control truck that can do tricks? Or a remote control airplane? I see college kids having a blast with airplanes all the time!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 5, 2012

Thanks for your input guys. I went to the school early this morning to discuss it with them. William didn't have PE today, but for recess he was given some toy cars to sit on the ground and play with. I will be allowed to send in small toys for that purpose. There are also board games available. I haven't talked to the PE teacher yet, but when I do, I'll make sure I mention some of these ideas if he doesn't mention them first.

12. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Apr 5, 2012

I think having him keep score in PE or any kind of measuring and helping set up. This will keep him involved in the lesson. I think the biggest issue will be not doing what the other kids are doing. At recess it would be good to do activities that his friends can get involved in and play too.

Best wishes to your son, I hope it works out ok considering his bone condition.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2012

Yes, I was going to say it'd be wonderful if they could set it up so that other kids could join in. Maybe even starting some sort of club would be really neat! That way, the kids who aren't really into running around all the time during recess could join in too. I'm thinking art (playdough, water color, etc), legos, board games, etc). The Fun Club!

I would also find out if they offer PE for kids who have health issues. I'm sure the PE teacher has had kids in the past who also couldn't participate in PE. Hopefully he'll have some ideas already in his "teacher toolbelt".

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 5, 2012

It's not really an issue with my school because there are always other classes (art, music, band, chorus, computers, shop, life skills, etc.) going on at the same time, so the child's schedule can be adjusted.

A few students go to occupational or physical therapy in place of PE class. Some stay in the class and participate as they can. For instance, one student had mobility issues and couldn't run, but he was a great pitcher and he could participate in some of the less physical activities, like archery and golf. One boy worked on his coaching skills. A girl with a genetic joint issue was able to ride an exercise bike during PE time.

Hopefully they can find a good solution.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 5, 2012

I had a little girl (3rd grade) who had Brittle Bone Disease and she went to an extra art class each week instead of PE. She loved art. We could have sent her to music as well, but she was thrilled to be a helper (and active participant) in an extra art class each week.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 6, 2012

I took adaptive PE 7-12th grade.

The HS adaptive PE was rather bad, he hated having to deal with students with disabilities, as he wanted to teach the athletes.

In middle school, we had a good adaptive PE teacher, he was nice. For the student with cerebral palsy who had to use a walker and could not stand without using the walker, he would sit on his walker (had a seat that came down) and the adaptive PE teacher would set up a little basketball hoop with a volleyball for him to throw into it. Sometimes he'd set up that game where you throw a beanbag into a hole and we'd all do that. Would something like that be appropriate for William to do?

17. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 6, 2012

By the time I got to middle school, my parents and I finally decided that I didn't have to take art anymore, that was so good, as art class would cause me so much pain every time I had to do something. So I go to take two marking periods of computers instead of art (And since the teacher taught the exact same thing each marking period, I acted as her aide and helped out the person with cerebral palsy who I mentioned in my previous post, as he had to use a special keyboard with enlarged keys and size of letters, due to having poor vision)

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 6, 2012

Does he have friends in the class? If so, maybe they could rotate playing with him quietly during recess. Can he still go outside for recess? I would have the teacher set up a sort of "schedule" with his friends so they all have different days if they want.

As for gym, I agree with the others about having him sit on the sidelines, keep score and generally help out.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 6, 2012

We have one student that can't participate in PE because of a heart condition. She picked her favorite special (ended up being art) and she gets to go to that special twice instead of going to PE on what normally would be a PE day. We thought it would be kind of cruel to have her sitting there watching everyone else run around and play when she couldn't participate- so she goes to art class with the grade level above her instead of PE. Recess isn't as much of an issue because a lot of the kids just want to talk to their friends anyway.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 6, 2012

I was that kid. In elementary school I stayed in the classroom and read books or worked on homework. In Jr.High/High school I had a study hall instead of PE.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2012

Is this your dancing son, mmswm? :hugs:

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 6, 2012

No. Stuart is the one child that did not inherit MHE. The severity of the disease can vary wildly, even within a family group. My ex-husband was moderately affected. His mother had only minor issues. Matthew has only minor issues. William is affected severely. MHE is passed on through a dominant inheritance pattern. You either have the gene and have the disease, or you don't. There's no such thing as a carrier. Stuart did not inherit the gene, and is therefore unaffected.

Thank you everybody for all the wonderful ideas. I will talk to the PE teacher next week (they are out of school today, Monday and Tuesday). You've given me lots of good ideas!

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

I have a student in a wheelchair - he takes an extra computer class instead of PE.

Does the school have a basketball court? He might be able to play HORSE or Around the World, since there's no contact, no running... (but you said in another thread it's his right arm that's really hurting, right?)

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 6, 2012

He has multiple tumors causing issues. The three major ones are in his left knee, right ankle and right arm.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

Hrmmm... scratch that then... I just hated it when I was on crutches for three months and had to sit on the bleachers during PE. And the time I broke my finger and had to sit out PE. It was awful watching everyone else play.

Ok, so maybe there's an extra special - music, art, computers, whatever - that he can take. Or is he a reader? Maybe he could be a helper in the media center.

26. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2012

Is it possible for him to have some activity?
    Just walk the gym?

Can he sit in another special? Art, music, band?

Can he help in the office or the kitchen or the library?

27. traveler

traveler Comrade

Apr 7, 2012

We always seem to have an injury or two or three each week during PE. We have had a few that lasted months. Usually they sit at the side and read or use an iPad. One really liked watching the games so he did that. One girl would help in the office but I was later told the office did really want to do that for too many kids as they had their own work to do. We don't have other specials that run concurrently so that wouldn't work at my school. At recess the kids who have injuries play board games and draw at a table outside of the office with their friends. The school doesn't allow them to bring in toys but they can bring in board games.
    I think if I had a child like your son in my class I would ask a neighbor class if he could use the computers in their room while we were at PE, or he could come watch us or read or use the iPad.
    I hope you are able to find an arrangement that works for all of you.