How do you handle a child reluctant to leave..

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by mrsammieb, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 26, 2006

Here's a question:

How do you handle a child who is reluctant to leave their mom on the first day of kindergarten?

3. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

ooooh-that's tough! i think i would say something along the lines of: i would not discourage the mom from leaving the classroom right away. i would encourage her to explore the room w/her child, and also sit in (i've been observed 9k times so this doesn't bother me) on some of our beginning-of-the-day stories/activities. when it appears the child is feeling more comfortable, i would encourage her to "sneak out", and i would handle it from there. hope this helps...good luck! -meri :)

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2006

I send a letter out before school starts addressing this very issue. I'm quite to the point..........it can make things WORSE for the child if parents hang around too long. If you would like a copy of the note I send, pm with your email and I can send it to you. I am starting my 14th year in K and I have not ever had a big problem with this.......the letter really seems to help. I tell parents not to sneak out.....that can backfire!:eek:

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

I agree about not encouraging parents to "hang around", because children do adapt better if a routine is set from the very first day. I do however encourage parent envolvement as much as I can, but as an added blessing to our class, not to tend to their own children's needs only.

6. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Jul 26, 2006

Yeah, my experiences is the more they hang around, the harder it gets. At my son's school, parents were only allowed as far as the office, the kids went to their rooms on their own. It seemed to help more.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 26, 2006

It is always tough the 1st few days of school. I meet the kids outside and along with my aid and the resource teachers we take the children inside. Moms and Dads do not come in!
    If they are crying I try and calm down, and so on. Oh and I close the classroom door b/c I have kids who try and run out the room!

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 26, 2006

My girlfriend had a k interview today and she said they asked her this. Don't most schools have policies covering this for K teachers? At least for the first 2 weeks?

9. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 26, 2006

As a parent of a child who will begin pre-school and has been in MDO programs it is better to develop a drop off routine between parent and child. Mine does a hug, kiss, pet (don't know why but he does) and then I leave. On days the teachers were late it was more difficult since I had to sit with him and then he would cling more. So I agree it is best for parents to be prepared of what is expected of them before they come to drop off their little ones so that the transition is not too rough and that by starting with a drop off routine that doesn't take thirty minutes is best in the long run.