How do you greet each class?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by KLily21, Oct 27, 2009.

1. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 27, 2009

How do you greet your middle schoolers at the beginning of each class? Do you have something specific you say/do at the beginning of the class? Or do you just jump right in to instruction/activities?

I usually just get right down to business right away, but then I wondered if other teachers do this as well. The other teachers on my team do the same. What do you do?

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

With a cup of coffee and couple of aspirins.

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

Oct 28, 2009

I say good morning as they walk in, but as soon as the bell rings I'm teaching.

5. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2009

I know what you mean. :lol:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2009

The bell rings, I say :"OK, let's get started" and begin the Sign of the Cross. (Obviously I'm in a Catholic school :) )

Then they start the Do Now problem on the board while I take attendance and check the homework.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2009

I stand at my classroom door and greet each of them as they enter my room. On my board is a list of directions for things they need to do before instruction starts. It usually looks like this:
    When You Enter...
    Gather Materials (then I list the materials they need for the day)
    Turn in____________
    Join me in the "living room" for poetry circle (or whatever we're doing first that day)

Then, after the bell, I give a run-down of what we're going to do for the next 80 minutes and off we go.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 28, 2009

I stand at the door and greet them, and then I just start teaching. Sometimes I say something "extra" to them, depending on what's going on.

9. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 28, 2009

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who jumps into class as soon as the bell rings. My school just started the Capturing Kids Hearts program and we are supposed to greet each student at the door with a handshake. I'm having trouble getting used the the handshaking thing. It doesn't feel natural to me, but I always greet them by name when they enter!

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2009

Our kids are lined up on the floor in the hallway, backs against the wall, reading, studying, or some are doing their homework. Sometimes I call a few into my room to work on something or explain something, or I'll visit quietly with co-workers.(coffee in hand)

Bell rings at 7:45. Students have already made lunch choices (there is a station outside the classroom door and they make the choice before sitting down in the hallway) Transportation changes are put in the pocket of a folder, as are absent excuses. One student is teacher assistant for the week. That person fills out the lunch slip and takes the transportation folder to the office at 8:00, asks students for transportation changes, collects money, etc. It's a well-oiled machine. I fend off students. (I couldn't do my homework....I didn't get my.... I want to..... My mom said......)

They settle in, talk a bit, sharpen pencils, put away bookbags, and get materials for the morning. Most start reading again. Announcements over the intercom are made at 7:55, Pledge is recited, moment of silence, bell rings at 8:00, they pick up their things and head to their first period class.

I turn on the computer, go to the attendance portal, click the names of students who are absent, hit "send", and as my first period students come in to the room I tell them what material they need (stored in my classroom--either their writing notebooks or their portfolios or paper or nothing)

I tell them the agenda for the period, go over the standard, tell them their goal for the day, usually read a short story or a piece of writing that is noteworthy, and the lesson has begun.

Tardy students come in quietly and leave quietly. I make the change on the attendance portal to tardy and hit "send". I shut it down after around 20-30 minutes.

11. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 29, 2009

"Good Morning...have your homework out, your notebooks on the desks and be quiet."

12. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Oct 29, 2009

With my eighth graders, I usually jump right in with their "warm up" (short writing response to a prompt). I go right into "your prompt today is..."

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 29, 2009

When I had students in person, it was in the voice of a circus ringmaster, "Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages and maturity levels!" These days, it's, "Hi, it's Mrs. Fiddle. Did I wake you up again?" Even if I hold off on calling my students until the afternoon, half of them are still in bed! Ah, online schooling...

14. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Nov 5, 2009

I greet each student at the door with a handshake. We look each other in the eye and say, "Good morning!"

When I enter the classroom to begin, I go to the front of the room, which is the signal to be quiet and ready to begin. I say, "Good Morning" and the kids respond together in kind. I following that up by saying, "Welcome back. I'm glad to see you!" and we begin our lessons.

15. abrennan33

abrennan33 New Member

Nov 5, 2009

Hello! One tricked I learned is that you always greet your students at the door. It sets the tone for the start of class. I like to say, "hello, so and so," or "how are you today?" Sometimes I will give them a high-5 or a pat on the shoulder. This also gives me insight on the students behavior. Maybe they are more tired, or they look sad or maybe a little more hyper than usual. I can handle it before they come in the room. The rest of the kids know to work quietly because I will have an assignment for them to work on when they come in. I call it "bell work," and they know its part of our class procedure. Hope this helps!

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2009

I also think it's important to greet students at the door as they enter. I also make sure that I'm the first one out the door and I stand there as they leave. It's a really simple way to show that it's your room and that you welcome them in.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 7, 2009

I don't have a set way of starting my class, but I do greet each one at the door and say hello. I do this for both my blocks.

18. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 9, 2009

I greet students at the door either by saying "Hi" or asking them a question about something I know was going on, but not private, or I give a compliment. I try to give a compliment to every kid in a week.

Students have a warm-up on the screen. As they do the warm-up I take roll and do whatever start of class chores I need to take care of. I have a certain place in my room I stand to call students attention. I don't talk until all students have stopped and are looking at me. If some students aren't picking up on the cue I will quietly say his or her name. We then go through the focus question and the plan for the day.

19. CKaras

CKaras Rookie

Feb 7, 2011

I greet all students with a handshake or a high-five (their choice). I usually pair it with "Good morning," "Glad you're here," "How are ya?" etc. I stand at the door until the bell rings.

Once students get inside the classroom, they find that half the lights are out so they can see the bellwork on the projector screen. I'm playing music in the background via my iPod. (I play a different genre every day, depending on my my mood/our activities for the day.) Students know that they are to sharpen pencils and sit down quickly before the bell rings.

As soon as the bell rings, I step inside the classroom, informing them that it is, "bellwork time," and immediately set the timer for 4 minutes. This allows me time to deal with things like roll, breakfast count, absences, etc. while they're getting a brain warm-up.

20. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 7, 2011

I greet them with some version of a "hi, how are u?" small talk. I don't greet EACH individual student every day - that tends to seem forced for me. I do greet each of them throughout the week, so not I'm not ignoring any of them :)
    When I taught ms, sometimes, I didn't make it to the hall before the students started coming in (there was no time when they couldn't come down - drove me crazy); I just greeted them as they came in. Just as I would/did when I was out in the hall when they came in.

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2011

I greet each student as they enter the class with a "good morning".
    Although one child discovered that I'm Japanese and she always says, "konichi wa!"

My high school history teacher used to start each class with a "good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, is there anything in the news that we should talk.....about........today"

22. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 8, 2011

I say, "Sit down, shut up, and get to work!!!!!!!" Just kidding! I always hand them their daily warm-ups as they walk in and on the board it always tells them what to do! I do greet each one as they walk in.