How do you grade reader's workshop notebooks?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2007

I have a stack of notebooks and I was wondering how you guys go about grading them.
    Thanks!

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Oct 27, 2007

If I grade them, which I don't do too often, (each child has to write a letter to me once a week and I have 50 students to respond back to!) I use a rubric. I will take grades on them occasionally to get a Language grade. If you want I can send you the rubric I use.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2007

Yes, that would be great! I'll pm you my email.

5. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

reader's notebook

I collect a few at a time, whenever I have given an assigned question about a book, or when a cycle of Literature circles has finished. I usually comment about one or 2 of the responses. I give a check or check+, hopefully not a check-. I then record in my grade book so I can tell who is putting forth the effort and who has "phoned it in."

6. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

I used to assign them a certain day to have letters due, so they were spaced out, but those people at the beginning of the week never seemed to get enough time. So, they are all due on Friday and returned on Monday. More weekend work, but makes the week a bit easier. I use a rubric - combo of one found on line and then made some changes to make it a bit more specific.

I put the rubric into those sheet protectors at the back of their folder. Then I can sit with a dry erase marker and just circle on the rubric. I give it back and they erase what I circled. I try to make comments when needed, but there is no way I can fully write back to all of them.