How do you give language arts grades?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

This has always stumped me. How do you give the grades and how do you put them in your gradebook?

How do you grade fluency, or comprehension.
    It confuses me. You can not give an assessment like you would in math to get a grade.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 27, 2011

Spelling and phonics falls under language arts for us-so I can test for that. I grade comprehension passages now, but I give them different ones based on their reading levels. I also grade their writing with a rubric that translates into percentage grades.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

I have a writing rubric that I use and we do not give grades for spelling.

How do you grade them on the comprehension passages? And then do you do this once at the end of the quarter and then that is their grade?

Does anyone just give grades based off of their reading level?

5. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Mar 27, 2011

Well I use my spelling test, spelling work, I grade my weekly comprehension test, I also grade grammar and homework.

6. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

May 14, 2011

For me, reading comprehension is strictly literary elements from comprehension quizzes and tests. It may be a written response, cloze activity, or a multiple-choice test.

Language arts has to do with spelling patterns, punctuation, grammar, etc.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

For reading comprehension, we focus on a skill or strategy each week. So if the skill is problem solution, I grade their ability to find the problem/solution in the story that they read or a passage that I give them on their reading level. If the strategy is visualizing, I might have them draw me a visual from the passage or answer questions about a passage that would need them to visualize. Then I average all the weekly grades.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 6, 2011

We are required to have two grades a week per subject. So...I give one grade for homework. Then, the other grade typically comes from an assessment that I make up based on whatever skill that we are learning for that week.

For example, if we are learning about captions and labels, I would take a word document, put a word bank at the top and then a couple familar pictures (ie: spongebob, Ben 10, Dora) and the kids have to use the word bank to label it.

I also ask comprehension questions about the story. Or I have them put pictures from a story in order if we are learning about sequence of events.

Luckily, our county has a computer system which you input the grades and it automatically averages and updates them.

If it's a short week, or admittedly, I'm really busy, I'll count their spelling test as a reading grade rather than a writing/oral communication grade.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

I have a rubric on their Daily 5 participation and one for their use of literacy strategies that I can use for whatever we're working on. I don't do one every week, but at least every grading period. Some of the categories include: completes all activities, selects good-fit books independently, reads on-level books, making progress toward goal, retells story, and uses strategies when reaching an unknown word. The last couple I look for evidence of when I conference or meet with a small group.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

Spelling and phonics is one grade for us. The tests are usually spelling tests, which is based on a spelling pattern we are currently working on (this week is aw). I check fluency, but it's just to keep a running record of student progress.

Reading and comprehension is another grade. I very rarely use the teacher tests, but if I do I use it as a quiz grade and make my own comprehension grade. For example, we just finished simple machines, and their exam was to write a paragraph that explains how simple machines make our lives easier. They were supposed to use 2 pronouns correctly since we worked on pronouns for the last 2 weeks. I then created a rubric that looked at these areas: followed directions, conventional writing, used 2 pronouns correctly, neatness, and depth of understanding. I create rubrics for everything as I feel it gives a more reliable grade then just assigning one randomly.

We also have a writing and grammar as one grade, and the above exam went as both a reading comprehension grade, as well as a writing and grammar. I try to combine things like that because it covers more areas.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2011

Language Arts for us is spelling (test), grammar (also test), phonics (test) and writing.

Reading is a separate grade, and includes comprehension test (story questions for a story we have read and reread several times that week), reading skill test (inference, id characters or plot, main idea, etc.), sight word fluency (oral test), sight word use (written test - cloze type), and oral reading fluency (at different reading levels - also oral test).

As you can tell, I have MANY grades each week for ELA!