HOW Do You Get Your Mail?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2010

Do you live in a neighborhood where everyone has their own mailbox in front of their home, do you have to walk somewhere to unlock your mailbox from a central location, do you have a PO box, etc.?
    Is it convenient or a pain to get your mail?

I have 12 people's (locked) boxes right in front of my house. It's nice not to hv to walk down the street everyday, yet it's a pain when a visitor cannot park in front of my house before the mail arrives & although no one owns the street, I feel like I'm kind of imposing having my visitor park in front of the neighbor's house. I WISH WE EACH HAD OUR OWN MAILBOX AT OUR OWN FRONT DOOR! :mad:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2010

I have a mail slot in my door. :)

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

I have my street's mailboxes (36 of them) beside my backyard. It is great because I don't have a fence up, so I could just walk out my back door to pick it up but there is someone in my neighborhood who decides to leave their junk mail on the top of the box and I end up picking it up in my yard. Only the older neighborhoods have one at their front door.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2010

The community box for our stretch of the street is about 6 houses down; it's a convenient stop on my way home from work.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 14, 2010

We all have our own mailboxes.

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 14, 2010

No one on our road has a mailbox. Our boxes up are up on another road you have to take to get to ours. It is not a problem as far as picking up the mail as we have to drive by the row of boxes to get to the main road, but there have been problems in the past with mail stolen etc.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2010

Until someone mentioned it here a while back, I didn't know there were so many options. I knew some apartments had those metal mailbox things, but I didn't realize others did. My mailbox is at the end my driveway, as is typical here. :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2010

We have a brass mailbox attached to the front of the house.

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 14, 2010

I have a mailbox at the roadside end of our 1/4 mile long driveway.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2010

We have a mailbox across the street from our house.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2010

This is what our "superbox" mailbox down the street looks like:
    [​IMG]

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

:yeahthat:

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2010

Mine is attached to my house - I don't even have to step out the door, just stick my arm out.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

Lucky you! I would have to live in an older neighborhood to have door to door service:(

16. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 14, 2010

We're in a subdivision within a subdivision, so all of our subdivision's mailboxes are in one central location. I actually like it better than having a mailbox attached to the building. Even though I know we don't get mail every single day, I go out and walk to the mailboxes to get some fresh air.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 14, 2010

We have a mailbox at the end of our driveway. We also have a P.O Box in town, but I only check it 2x a week.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2010

Okay, stupid question, but how does it work if you get a large package? I see the larger box and I assume that's it purpose, but how does a person retrieve it? And what if the package is too big for even that? Do you have to go to the post office?! We primarily shop online so we have packages a few days a week that wouldn't fit in those...

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 14, 2010

The big boxes have a key that the mail man leaves in your box to open the big box.

20. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

I open my front door and walk about 25 steps to the mailbox.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 15, 2010

We have our own mailboxes. Mine is across the street from my house, though. We have rural delivery.

22. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 15, 2010

Everyone on the street has a mailbox in front of/attached to their house (or a mail slot), no communal mail box where there are all little boxes. My uncle has that in the condo complex he lives in though. I believe there are 36 mailboxes per neighborhood, then the delivery people drop stuff off at their door.

Our mailbox sticks out of a little garden my parents set up to the side of the driveway.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2010

Ahh, the good old days! At my old house, I could just stick my arm out too. Not everything gets better w/ time.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2010

My mailbox is at the end of my driveway. There are 2 other (individual) boxes there for my neighbors across the street since all the mailboxes are on one side of the street.

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

Mine is personally delivered by my husband, the letter carrier. Our house is on his route.

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2010

I literally walk across the st. to my very small PO and get it from
    my PO box. I do have a regular mail box back on the side St.
    with other folks for those businesses that demand a physical address, But its good in that get duplicates of store coupons and such

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 15, 2010

We have twenty or so boxes at the end of the road. They are one big silver box with small safey deposit looking boxes in it. I like it better than when we had a box at the end of our driveway. Now if I am gone a few days, no worries. No one can get our mail without a key.

28. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 15, 2010

We have two big boxes that have a key that is left in your box when your mail is left in those boxes. If it is too big for those boxes, the mailman brings it to my porch and leaves it. Our last mailman took it back to the post office and you had to go get it. I hated that because I taught thirty minutes away and couldn't get there before they closed.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 15, 2010

Even with my rural mailbox, that's an issue. One of the carriers knows me, so he'll take the time to pull into the driveway, get out of the car, and leave it on my screened-in porch. Most of them are in a hurry and will leave a "pick up slip" in the mailbox. I take the slip to the post office to pick up the package.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

They always leave the packages on my porch. It's a pain to get to the post office with their limited hours! One mailperson just came right on into my house last week because the door was wide open...which was only somewhat problematic because my dog falls in love instantly with everyone and immediately jumped all over her and cried and cried when she left. :)

One my carriers is total garbage, but the rest are great...and I have no idea why it seems I have so many carriers, but I'm guessing the less than stellar one misses a lot and has to have substitutes.

31. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

We have a mailbox at the end of our driveway. They decided that our block-long dead end street was eligible for rural delivery, so we just walk the 15 or so feet from our garage to the mailbox. If we have a package the mail carrier leaves it on our front step right by the door (or in the door if it is thin enough).

32. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 15, 2010

If we have a package we have to drive to the PO to pick it up. It can be a problem as it is 10 miles away. Usually have to wait until Saturdays to pick it up because of their hours.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2010

If a parcel is too big for the large compartment in the community box, it usually goes to the post office. It's only a couple of minutes away, so it's not a big deal. Occasionally during the summer, when I'm home, the driver will stop and drop a parcel off--we've had the same carrier for the past 15 years or so.

34. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Oct 15, 2010

Our mailbox is at the entrance to our street, which is a circular drive. We just got permission from the post office to put ours in front of our house. That may take awhile!

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2010

Now that's the best way to go! :thumb:

36. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

so, we had a neighbor who organized one of those communal boxes. He included me after we talked about it. I was getting kind of antsy when I found out where it was going to be placed, on a curve, so I talked to the mailman and he said I wasn't required to go in on the community one and if I wanted I could have my mailbox in front of my house and he would put it on a post, dig the hole and put it in the ground. He did everything on his time and I didn't know him from Adam! I have the best mailman ever!

37. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 16, 2010

Our mailboxes are grouped into 4's. So I have to walk past our neighbors house to get to our box. They're supposed to be locked, but only 2 are...unfortunately ours is one of the unlocked ones. The previous owners lost the key, and we haven't had one remade...it's almost $50 through the post office!

Our mailboxes are completely junky too! I have NO idea where that HOA money is going, but obviously not to new mailboxes that could withstand more than 10mph wind!

38. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 16, 2010

Ditto. Midwest, sometimes I swear you are me posting in disguise...we have a lot in common! ;)