How do you get motivated?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by txteach26, Aug 15, 2011.

1. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I usually love going back to school! I'm one of "those" teachers that's clambering to the school the second my room's ready because I can't wait to get started.

Due to some situations at school this year, I'm having trouble getting motivated... I don't want to start the year this way, but am having trouble shaking it.

How do you get motivated about the new year?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

I look back at the students who touched my heart the most in years past. Then I look at my student list for next year and wonder which ones will change my life. There will always be students like this for every teacher.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 15, 2011

You know... funny you should ask that. I have not been very motivated either lately. I mean there is a part of me that is motivated and another part of me that just went to the pool. I will get there. I have to. School is just around the corner.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I get motivated just a bit at a time...I made great welcome back postcards this weekend (ok, my son did a lot of it on the computer, but it was my vision) and mailed them out today. I updated my webpage last week. I'll shop for back to school shoes :D and an outfit soon....then I'll go in and unpack my supply orders, get my welcome back bb ready for kids' work....when that's all done, I'll be ready....but just a bit at a time right now...I don't go back until September 1.:)

6. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I am also having issues getting motivated, but I've just been able to look at my class lists and it got me thinking about the students. When it all boils down, it's the students that really make the difference. They have a tendency to make me forget all the other drama and conflict that may be happening in the building.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

You dive into what and who you're teaching. That's what most of us love anyway-- teaching the kids.

Why not take a look at your syllabus and have some fun with it? Come up with some units or projects or something that will teach the kids as they have a ball???

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 15, 2011

A lot of the times by the time the summer ends, I'm so ready to go back to work. I also get motivated and excited about trying new things this year. I also miss the interactions with the students.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 15, 2011

Look beyond the issues. I've been struggling a bit this year too, but I know it will go as soon as I get the kids in class. I had a major problem a couple of years ago - was worried I'd have a nervous breakdown, or not get going all year. It worked out fine. If you really love what you are doing, your focus will return when you get there. If you aren't starting any time soon, just push it all to the back of your mind until you have had time to unwind. If you are a person of faith, give it to God and let him handle it. Easier said than done, I know! Maybe it helps just knowing that you are not alone and that many of us have gone through it too.

10. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

It is helpful to know that I'm not the only one. I appreciate all of your encouragement - especially from those of you that have been there and come out the other side! You're right - it is all about the kids! I think I'd lost sight of that to a degree.

You guys are the best! :)

11. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

this is pretty good. each time i get students for tutoring, i silently do prayers and thank tutorz site to get me leads. I find some positive energy by this way. Then i try to understand students mentality and their ability which brings confidence in me and i say to myself "Tutoring is easy as well as challenging".

12. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 16, 2011

I also think about the kids--their struggles they may be going through, their futures, and what I can do to get them where they need to be by the time they leave me. I think it helps to feel spiritually "in tune," as well. Each morning I wake up and think/pray about the day as it is about to happen and I reveal my intention to remain calm and do the best I can for the students!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

Tutoring IS NOT easy...it's about assessing each student's needs, differentiating instruction for each learner, creating materials and finding resources to support each individual student...
    It is very rewarding work, but like teaching, it isn't easy...those who are great at it just make it look easy.:love: