How Do You Get It All In?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by HistoryTeach4, Apr 7, 2015.

1. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Apr 7, 2015

There is a little more than two months of school left and I feel like there is still so much that has to be covered. How do you manage to get all that needs to be taught taught? I had these ideas for projects I wanted to do, but now feel like I shouldn't do them because it will take time away from getting through everything.

Any advice?

3. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Apr 7, 2015

I go through this every year...no easy answer!

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 7, 2015

Sometimes the projects are worth it. it lets you get deeper with some concepts. We have key concepts we have to focus on. When I plan projects, I make sure they focus on those. I never get everything covered as deep as I want, though. Good luck! :)

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 8, 2015

Sometimes I leave the projects until the end and only do the projects that I know are really worth it during the year. I usually condense all of the projects I didn't do into a mini-unit at the end of the year about engineering, or as a project menu where students can pick the project they want to complete.

To begin with, I condense down the standards I need to teach into the most crucial for the students to know, so I'm usually left with 2 weeks to a month at the end of the year for just fun projects and activities.

The standards are getting condensed even further with the new science standards.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 8, 2015

I prioritize. Some things must get done, some things really should get done, and some things don't get done. I would rather have students understand 20 things I teach than 25 things I don't teach well.

The other thing I do is combine some subjects or standards. Tie reading, writing, and Social Studies standards together.

Your best is all you can do.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 8, 2015

Mile wide, inch deep. Depending on where you teach, you can't do the "teach 20 things well, rather than 25 things not so well" because those standards have to be met by the date of the standardized test. (Not that I'm knocking that philosophy! I agree with it; just wish I could actually DO it :p).

Even though my school year ends mid-June, I HAVE to have all of the standards taught by the end of April, so that I can spend 2 weeks reviewing for the "end of year" test that the state makes us give mid-May. THEN we have a month left over. That's when I do enrichment projects, make papers due, etc. I have a million things I'd love to do, but I have to teach the whole year's content by the end of April and that's my first priority in order to meet my obligations.

8. msgab

msgab Rookie

Apr 11, 2015

If you have the freedom, you should do what you think will impact student learning. The focus on "teaching" is a mistake. Just because you covered it doesn't mean they learned it. Always choose student engagement over coverage if your district won't fire you over it. Learning doesn't have to be a nightmare. Just because it is a project doesn't mean it is necessarily not worthy. I would choose your projects wisely and integrate the standards in by teaching mini-lessons that can be practiced through the project work.