How do you get involved in Montessori?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by linswin23, Sep 13, 2011.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 13, 2011

I learned about Montessori in school, but never learned how to get involved. I love the philosophy and style. How did you get started as a Montessori teacher? Also, is Montessori exclusively preschool or are there M. schools out there that have elementary/middle grades?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2011

The Montessori philosophy is in action for children from birth through high school.

If you're interested in teaching in a Montessori environment, you have to be specifically trained for the age level you'd like to teach. I work with 3-6 year olds, so I have my 3-6 certification as well as my 6-9 certification.

There are many places that offer Montessori training. If I were you, I'd check out the American Montessori Society's website where they have listings of training programs and lots of other answers to questions you may have:

http://www.amshq.org/

4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 14, 2011

Thank you so much for the info!

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 14, 2011

Tracy: How long have you been working in Montessori? Did you do public school before hand? What do you like about it? It seems so interesting and different.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2011

I've been teaching in a Montessori school since 1987 when I graduated from college. I've always taught in private schools and what I love about it is that it gives the responsibility and the freedom to the children. I'm not the one responsible for the whole day every day, the children are.

I plan lessons and prepare the environment, but it just seems like such a more natural, authentic way for learning instead of manufactured learning. I can't imagine teaching any other way. Ever.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 17, 2011

Tracy: Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do some research and learn more about Montessori. I'm very intrigued and am also trying to figure out what route I'm going to take with graduate school. Montessori is definitely a possible option for me. I feel like my personality and style of teaching/philosophy on learning matches it very well.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2011

Good luck to you!!

9. anky2930

anky2930 Rookie

Apr 27, 2012

Montessori is a place where the academics begin for students so it must have friendly environment that will help kids to enjoy learning.

10. vincischool

vincischool Rookie

Nov 3, 2016

Montessori School is the best educational school for small kids.They create a friendly and home based environment.
    If you are interested in the teaching of Montessori school, So you specially trained for the age level you'd like to teach.

11. McGonagall

McGonagall Rookie

Dec 26, 2016

I actually had the wildly unique experience to student teaching in a public school that followed the Montessori curriculum. It has led me to seeking out official Montessori training for my career. I love it. I'm also currently long terming in a private Montessori. I truly believe in the philosophy. I can't imagine going back now.

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 28, 2016

When I applied to a Preschool-6th grade Montessori school, they said I needed different certifications on top of my Master's in Education, so I said no thanks, I'm done with school :)
    So make sure you go through a Montessori certification program if that's what you want to do!
    I know there are public Montessoris as well as private, who still have to do standardized testing due to being public. There's also a Montessori school that goes up to 12th grade somewhere in the US. I think they're the only one that goes up that high