How do you fix your books?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Celestial, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 16, 2006

I have a nagging problem that I can't find a better solution for... I have an extensive classroom library, and the kids absolutely love it. But, the books get a lot of wear and tear!! My kids are constantly bringing me books where the pages have detached from the binding, been ripped out (gentle use), etc. I'm curious to see how you all "fix" your books, short of taping the pages back. Any ideas? I spend so much money on these books that I want them to last!

3. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Oct 16, 2006

i worked in a used book store in high school. We used a product called goo gone to clean the books up, windex for the hardcovers, and acid free tape for anyrips. In some cases like the binding comming off we used glue.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 16, 2006

I tape them back to fix them... clear packaging tape is my favorite thing to use for that... either on the spine to reinforce or on the pages themselves when they start to rip. My kids last year didn't tear up my hardback books as much as they did the softcover... thank good ness the used book stores sold a lot of hardcover ones cleaply!!!

5. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Oct 20, 2006

Unstaple the books and bind them! (laminte the cover)

You can also "glue" them back in. My dad used to work for a library when he was younger, and this is how they did it. You put a piece of wax paper next to the page that has come out (like it's one of the pages). Then stick a little bit of Elmer's glue in the crack and let it dry overnight. The next day, slowly take out the wax paper. Wala!! It's like the pages never fell out. (try this with a sample book first until you understand how to do it)

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Oct 20, 2006

When I had a book that I knew was going to be popular with my kids (who could be rough), if it was a paperback, I would actually remove the staple, laminate all the pages and the covers, and then reassemble either by binding or with small binder rings. My laminated books usually held up pretty well.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2006

I do a little line of glue if pages are coming out or if the binding has cracked, separating sections of pages (similar to above but without the wax paper although I'm sure that helps keep the glue from seeping onto adjacent pages...) Then I rubberband the book shut overnight to keep it tightly closed. Remove ruberband in morning, big clear tape along spine.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2006

I still remember when I was a student in elementary school. We went to a nearby library & the librarian was saying that over time, tape destroys or ruins paper. I think that would take numerous years though.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2006

It's true- most of the suggestions here are not 'archival' fixes. For important, rare or expensive books only archival, acid free fixes should be used. For my paperbacks though, the glue and tape things gets me a little more time delaying the inevitable....

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 21, 2006

I once heard that books should be considered "consumables". I think that is right. If the kids are really using them, they will wear out and need to be replaced.