How do you fit the gym in?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Sep 4, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

For those of you that work out regularly, how do you do it? I have meetings or pd before school, so that's not an option (I don't think I could ever be a morning workout person anyway, but even if I wanted to the gym isn't even open early enough for me to fit it in). I really want to do our afterschool program again this year, but I'm concerned that if I do it I'll seriously never make it to the gym. The afterschool program provides some good extra money and I really liked that it gave me the opportunity to get to know many of the regular ed kids in the school a lot better. I do try to talk to/get to know as many regular ed students as I can throughout the school day, but it's not quite the same as actually getting a chance to teach them afterschool where you can really build relationships. I think it's important that the other kids in the school know me so it takes the stigma off of kids in special ed coming to my classes. When I teach the regular ed kids after school, they see me as just another teacher and my students coming to me for classes during the day isn't "weird" or anything.

Last year, our school day ended at 3 and afterschool ended at 5. I would make myself go to the gym directly after that, getting there at about 5:30 and being home by around 7-7:30. Even that seemed kind of late to me, as I was totally STARVING by 7, but most of the time I was pretty good about it. However, this year we have a new schedule and much later school day- we don't end until 4. Therefore, the afterschool program runs until 6. That means I wouldn't get to the gym until about 6:30, and I wouldn't get home until 8-8:30, and then I'm supposed to cook a healthy dinner (and eat at 9 pm)? All of this is before I do any extra schoolwork as well, and we know that never runs out. I just know it won't happen. I know tons of teachers do afterschool activities and things like that, so it's certainly not just me...how do you all do it?

I want to do the program for the reasons mentioned above...but I don't want to be miserable (it's already a LONG day) and gain 50 pounds in the process...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

I walk at lunch, ride my recumbent bike at night.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

I go to the gym after Mon-Fri right after school at 3:30. I'm out of there by 5:30 and home by 6. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to pull off not doing any after school activities at school since it's strongly encouraged that we all do something. I really just want to keep this commitment to a healthier life style. You really need to eat before working out though. Is there any way you can squeeze in some healthy food about two hours before the gym? If your body is starving, it just stores fat.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

I am up at 4:45 and at the gym by 5 every morning before work. Back home by 5:45, just enough time to shower, eat, and get ready - out the door at 6:45 or earlier.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

My gym opens at 6 am. I have to get up at 6 am at the very latest to shower and get ready for work, so even if I were to drive over there and be beating down the door right at 6, I'd literally only have about 10-15 minutes to do something before I needed to start getting ready and drive over to school.

Windycity, that's kind of what I'm thinking- that sacrificing my health isn't worth it. I just feel guilty though, and I honestly could use the extra money. My family lives several states away and I used the money from the afterschool program to pay for flights last year. I've also had several kids I had in the program last year coming up and talking to me/asking if I'm going to be their teacher again. If it weren't for this program, I wouldn't even know the regular ed kids very well and like I said before I feel like that's really important.

I'm just thinking though, plenty of people do afterschool activities, and they've got to find time for this stuff too!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2011

I'm notorious for going strong to the gym dilligently 4 days a wk, but then, a new schedule w/ work/school starts & I sag out, then start again, etc.!

When I was a 1st yr special ed teacher, I actually got a personal trainer the last 1/2 of that school yr. Honestly, since I PAID for those expensive sessions, it MADE me go to the gym at about 4pm on 2 or 3 weekdays & then 11am or so on a Sat or Sun. Well, I absoutely HATE going to the gym at the 4-5pm hr because everyone else is off from work & the place is flooded, but I got used to not minding it since I had a trainer. Would I ever go at that time on my own? Well, let's just say I've tried to stay clear in the past.

I definitely have this love/hate relationship regarding going to the gym! I can not go for mos, then start going pretty well, then stop, then start again...:dizzy:

But, if we want to be healthy & look good, we just have to do it. My gym's open 24 hrs/day BTW.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

Can you take your workout clothes with you and change after school? Then maybe you will go?

Or I know a group of women at my old school used to take turns bringing in videos and doing them in someone's room. It was fun - I joined them a few times. It was always something different and other people would hold you accountable for going.

Otherwise, I know how hard it is to go after work. It was not happening for me, that's why I started the morning thing. And I am NOT a morning person, but I guess I am less exhausted then than I am in afternoon. But if my gym opened at 6, I wouldn't be able to go, either. Luckily there are a considerable amount of people there at 5 so I don't think they will ever change it.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

I stopped my gym membership because I wasn't going and tired of wasting that money. I am now using the exercise shows OnDemand that are free....there's a ton to choose from. You could also buy/rent exercise dvds to do from home. The key is doing things you enjoy so you'll want to do them!

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2011

Yeah that's what I ended up doing last year, I'm just worried about the later time this year. Even if I make myself do it, I don't feel like even with the workout getting home and eating dinner at 9 pm is healthy, especially since I'm bound to eat more than usual during the day since I'll be so hungry before then. I think I've decided that this year I'm just not going to do afterschool. I'll volunteer to be a sub for teachers that need it so I can be involved a little bit but don't have to stay until 6 every day. It's a hard decision but overall without doing it I think I'll be happier/less stressed, I'll get my workouts in no problem so I'll be healhtier (since I can leave at 4 now instead), and I'll be able to devote more time to really doing some "extras" for my actual teaching job! I don't know how other people manage to do it...but for me personally, I think that's just too long of a day before even doing anything extra for school after the kids leave. Maybe I'll be able to pick it up in the future again or find something to do afterschool that's only once a week or something.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 5, 2011

I bring my gym clothes with me to work and try to go straight to the gym after work Mon-Thurs. Sometimes it's hard, but I do my best to get there at least three days a week. I typically leave work around 4:30-5:00, so I get to the gym by 5:00-5:30 and leave by 6:00-6:30. If I have a particularly late day at work, I may only spend 30 minutes at the gym rather than an hour.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2011

The "gym" and physical fitness are very high priorities for me... I've always carved out the time......

13. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Sep 7, 2011

Silverspoon is VERY ambitious.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 7, 2011

I wish I had your dilligence! I'm such a night owl, I would have just gone to bed at 11pm - midnight on work nights & 2am & after on weekend & vacation days.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2011

I try. I am NOT a morning person. BUt I am seriously overweight. It's just not ok anymore. And for some reason, I can fit it in in the morning, it makes me feel better all day, and the first time I lost some weight, I worked out first thing in the morning. So we will see what happens.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2011

I go to the gym directly after school every day. I take a bag with everything I need in it to school every day and change at the gym. Work out about 1 hour each day, pick up my daughter, then go home to cook dinner and do homework. Wednesdays I have a graduate class myself so on those days it's harder to fit it in.