How do you find out about workshops/conferences?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elocin, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 1, 2011

During my mid-year review, my principal mentioned that if there were any conferences or workshops I would like to attend that he (well, the school) would be willing to pay for me to go.
    I am pretty excited about that offer, because right now I am a certified teacher working as para/co-teacher, and I would love the opportunity to learn more and show I am serious about continuing education. We are opening a new K-8 next year and I really want them to see I am a great candidate for my own classroom.

The problem is, I have NO idea how you find out about workshops or conferences that are scheduled. Is there a website or mailing list?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

What area are you interested in....I check the IRA website for reading, NCTM for math, NSTA for science, etc. These are great for finding good conferences on subject matter areas.

I love Peggy Sharp for reading as well. Or look into other authors that you enjoy! Many of them host conferences/workshops.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

In NY and NJ, there are regional training centers that offer graduate and inservice classes.
    https://www.thertc.net/main.php
    My district is also part of a curriculum center which offers classes.
    Check local museums...I found some great workshops offered at Ellis Island thru a link another member here posted.
    Our state teachers association offers workshops and features other professional development opportunities on its website and publications.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

I get a lot of my workshop information from my professional organizations (AFT/TFT American/Texas Federation of Teachers, NCTE/TCTE National/Texas Council for Teachers of English, JEA Journalism Educators Association, etc). Another person to contact would be your district curriculum coordinator.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2011

Look up BER and SDE. I have attended workshops from both and they are great and will have less subject specific workshops.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 1, 2011

The International Reading Association Conference is in Orlando this year... I don't know where you are from...or if you can travel that far. BUT THAT is a GREAT conference. i went the last two years (in Minneapolis and in Chicago). I WANT to go to Orlando-but i am not sure i can afford it (had a lot of emergencies crop up, financially) - but i am still saving my personal days for it.

I LOVE that conference. even IF I didn't go to any of the conference rooms - which OF COURSE i DO - i could learn a ton from the different mini lectures and author presentations at the publisher booths.

Anyway... the conference is great.

___

With the problems my student is having in math-but how she LOVES math... i feel I should look into the NCTM (National Council of Teacher of Mathematics) conference - or a local conference.

THAT reminds me... even IF national conferences are too far to travel - there are usually regional or state councils. Check it out.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 1, 2011

We're part of a regional co-op that sends out emails and booklets with all kinds of offerings. Some are offered for FREE or reduced cost to co-op members.

I also get offerings through the national writing project because I took that one summer.

There should be some kind of professional development coordinator at central office who can point you in the right direction, too.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

I just googled "elementary teacher workshops on long island 2011" and found quite a bit.

10. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 1, 2011

Thanks everyone--I am looking for reading/language arts specific or general classroom issues like differentiated instr., behavior mgt. I will check out these ideas ASAP.

I know other teachers have traveled--Phoenix and Boston are two that come to mind but I am not sure if they were reimbursed for travel. I am sure there is something in my city or nearby though.

Thanks again!

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 1, 2011

Your local department of education should also have workshops listed.

12. JenniferVan1

JenniferVan1 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011

My favorite place to search is online. There are some great webinars and tutorial sites that are WAY cheaper than any of the other more structured places. (And I love that I can attend from the convenience of my own home, in my pajamas! LOL). I use My Tech Trainers for other tutorials (Photoshop, Web Design, etc.) but I think they are coming out with Teacher Trainings soon.

But like I said, Google is my best friend. :)

Good Luck!