How do you file your taxes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 18, 2009

I've never filed mine myself, and I never plan to try. I've always used H&R Block, either in person or with their software. I've never had a bad experience. This year I plan to buy the software again.

I'm dreading filing. Between the 2 states I've lived in this year I have 4 jobs to file for. Ugh.

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 18, 2009

I do my own taxes. I sued to have H&R Block do them, but cost way too much to have them continue doing them so I just decided to learn how to do it myself. I love doing my own taxes so much that I also do mom and grandpa's taxes too! :lol:

By the way, I do them online with TurboTax.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 18, 2009

I guess doing them with software is sorta like doing it yourself. I would never try to grab the paper forms and go for it, though. Ick!

5. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

I do mine online with TurboTax too. Pretty simple!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

I did mine on paper for years, and then I started using TurboTax Deluxe.

Turbo Tax has a free online version. I needed some of the things on the Deluxe version, so I couldn't use it.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 18, 2009

I have always done my own taxes.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

Every year I do my own taxes, because I can still use the 1040EZ and it really isn't too hard. The federal form I can usually do quickly in about 15 minutes and then the state form will take me longer.

9. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

Turbo Tax for me as well!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 18, 2009

Add me to the Turbo Tax list. Although dh actually does them for us, so I can't really say that's how "I" do them. It never takes more than an afternoon, and we have lots of little nuanced things on there that he has to enter. But we always get a nice big refund check so the afternoon spent on it is well worth it!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2009

Our school accountant does mine and charges me almost nothing. Mine are too complicated for me.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

I usually do my own, but I plan on using Turbo Tax this year because of buying my house.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2009

We use Turbo Tax Online and it always finds things for us that we would not normally think about.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

I used to do mine on my own but last year I went to HR Block b/c I had to claim both canadian and US salary. I am thankful that I did b/c the taxman came after me b/c of my US salary and my moving claims and I just had to phone HR Block and fax them the letter I received and they handled it!

15. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

i do my own taxes. i also can still use the 1040EZ form..it only takes me about 20mins

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 18, 2009

I quit using H&R Block a million yrs ago. Every year, my parents & I use the services of this one lady. She makes a 45 min house call to us, but she does charge us.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2009

I used to do them myself, but for the last 5 years one of the accounting professor's at my college job does them for me...for free :). I'm way too lazy to give up free taxes.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

We have an accountant do ours, ever since my dh started doing some work on the side for the company he works for. I always do a trial run with Turbo Tax online, just to see how my figures compare to his, and his refund for us usually doubles what I had!

So on a related note, and not to hijack, but what are your opinions on refunds? We usually get a pretty hefty refund, and I always get the "you're loaning the government your money interest free" lecture from my sister, but we really love getting our refund. My rationale is I probably wouldn't save it if I did have it during the year on my paycheck. We use our refund for big projects around our house, to pay for big expenses (last year was our new living room furniture, this year will be the last of my dh's college expenses, plus maybe finish our basement). It's like a nice bonus to start out the year, but I'm sure there are smarter financial minds out there that can explain why I'm wrong!

19. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, I use Turbo Tax every year and this will be my third year using the online software. I love it! It's so simple and costs WAY less money than going to H & R Block or Jackson Hewitt who used to charge me almost $300-$400 to do mine. No thanks!

I do my mom's every year too and now my sister and my best friend wants me to do theirs with Turbo Tax.

I hear what you saying kcjo13 about feeling like your just getting your own money loaned to you by the government. I'm actually opposite of you, I would rather get the majority of my money throughout the year instead of at the end of the year. Although those refunds do come in handy when you want to do some remodeling, put a down payment on a car or anything. This year, I plan to remodel my bathroom with my refund. Boy...home ownership is a never ending job!!!!

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

We file a 1040 and I always do it myself. I am curious to those of you who say Turbo Tax finds things or H and R Block Finds things... what are they finding? Just curious. Maybe I am missing something.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2009

Before we had a house, I did ours.

Now there are just too many variables-- house, kids, childcare, MEDICAL, freelance for me, part time work for Peter (along with wear and tear on his equipment and mileage)

It's well worth it to have the accountant do them. He files them electronically for us.

And I love that refund!! I understand the reasoning from those who say I'm giving the government my money, interest free,until they refund it.

But the reality is that we can put that refund towards something big: remodeling, vacation, bills, whatever. That same money, had we had it in small increments, would have disappeared into a thousand little places.

22. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

Mine are only with taxact.com i found them on the IRS website. I've never had a problem - even with the million states/jobs i've had in the past years... I'm actually excited to have one state and only two jobs this year. I even turned my SO to doing his own on there too because he used to take it to H&R block as well.

23. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

We have an accountant do ours as well. I do not have time or energy to file these kinds of things.....it is money well spent! We have a friend who does them, so it does not cost much.

24. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

I have an accountant do mine. Much easier that way!

25. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jan 19, 2009

I always e-file ours, using H&R Block's TaxCut software. I get it in the mail for free every year, so that's what I use. I always double-check it at another site, to make sure the refund amount is the same. I've only been filing taxes (at all) for 3 years, so I've never done it on paper or anything.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2009

I use TurboTax online. Much easier that way. Of course, we're simple, don't have anything extra so that helps.

27. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 19, 2009

I use TaxCut. I've been using it for years and it's so easy. I especially like how it pulls last years info without me having to do anything. I'm sure TurboTax does the same thing, but I usually find that TaxCut is cheaper to purchase.