How do you figure a score on the FTCE ESE SAE

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by history, Dec 24, 2014.

1. history

history Companion

Dec 24, 2014

I just got my score for my ESE exam and found out I got a 197. You need a 200 score to pass. There were 119 questions and the only thing the FTCE rep told me was the highest score you could get was a 300. I took the number of questions on the test and divided by the 300. I feel I may be doing something wrong or I was given incorrect information. Does anyone know or can tell me how many questions I missed passing the exam by?
    Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2014

To figure out the average number of scaled points per question, divide the number of scaled points available by the number of scoring questions.

FTCE tests, like most tests run by Pearson, use scaled scores on a scale from 100 to 300. In other words, there are 200 scaled points available

As for "scoring questions", note that some multiple choice questions on all teacher tests aren't scored. These questions are included because they're being field-tested for use in future versions of the test, but they're not counted either for or against the test taker's final score. If 119 is the number of questions you answered, the number of scoring questions will be lower.

119 isn't divisible by 5 or 10, so it may very well be the number of scoring questions. In that case, each question, on average, is worth a bit under 2 points. Your scaled score of 197 thus came up short by two to three questions - again, not counting the non-scoring questions.

4. history

history Companion

Dec 24, 2014

Thanks for the answer. I was wondering how you felt about a score verification report. Do you feel it is worth paying for and what number would you need out of 200 to take a possible chance?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2014

Score verification is almost never helpful.