How do you feel when you wake up?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by leeshis0019, Apr 20, 2015.

1. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

Apr 20, 2015

Alright, I've already posted a few times and made a thread in this forum in the last hour, but I wanted to post asking this:

How do you feel when you wake up in the morning?

I mean on a school-day. Maybe compared to a week-end?

I only ask because I'm new to the profession and I've heard plenty of people that have been around for 10-15 years say they dread waking up. Maybe not coming in, but they just don't want to wake up and come in and work and so on.

The first time someone said something I immediately related. I'm an "okay" morning person, but I feel the exact same way they do. I wake up and would rather stay in bed; however, when I get to school I get this jolt of energy. Coming in and seeing my students, planning future lessons, getting lessons prepared and so forth is a kind of rush.

I feel comforted by that. Like my body is letting me know "You are just a normal non-morning person, but you enjoy what you are doing."

Is anyone else like this? Anyone have any tips for the morning? I used to be the person that gets up at 5:30 in the morning, runs for ~30 minutes then gets ready for the day. School has made that a night-time routine and I don't think I've completely adjusted.

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 20, 2015

I hate waking up and getting out of bed. Period. I have no words of advice.

But I love my job:)
    Just wish it would start later!!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

I'm not quite a morning person, but I also don't like sleeping in too much, because then it feels like most of the day is gone and i feel lazy.

As far as waking up in the morning on a school day. I'm usually looking forward to the day. This can range from getting up and ready to go, to being tired and hardly dragging myself out, but I never feel that I'm dreading it. I like my job, my students and the people I work with.
    I'm actually amazed how quickly I became relaxed about getting up and going to work. I think I had butterflies in my stomach for the 1st 2 months, but since then, I feel relaxed and happy.

As far as advice. I always get a better feeling when I wake up a little earlier than usual. Most of the time I am staying in bed as long as I can, sometimes too late and then I have to rush, but that's just my laziness lol.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 21, 2015

If I can wake up without benefit of outside stimuli (not counting daybreak), I'm usually good for the day once I've had some coffee. If my alarm wakes me, I'm disoriented and a little grumpy for rest of the morning.

6. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

I don't usually like waking up, but I have a 30 minute drive to work on quiet country roads when I can listen to music and drink my coffee, and by the time I get to work, I'm happy.

If I want to wake up before my alarm, I have to go to sleep EARLY- like 8:30. I like a solid 8 hours of sleep, so if I'm in bed by 8:30, I usually wake up around 4:30-4:45 without an alarm (which goes off at 5:00). But going to bed at 8:30 isn't all that practical! I usually go to bed at 9:30 or 10.

I actually love everything about my job EXCEPT waking up early. I have to leave the house at 6:00... if I could leave at 7:00, my job would be perfect.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

I feel like death when I first wake up, and it takes me a minimum of an hour and a half before I can engage in conversation that doesn't primarily involve grunting and cursing. I'm blessed in that way that I have a 40 mile commute.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 21, 2015

I HATE mornings. I go to bed wide awake and wake up sleepy as can be.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2015

I hate waking up Monday mornings! Once I get to work everything is fine. I LOVE waking up Friday mornings!

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 21, 2015

I love my bed. I would stay in it all day if i could.

11. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Apr 21, 2015

I have been in one of those jobs where I didnt want to go to bed, let alone get up in the morning because I hated my job so much. I even went into weekends thinking, oh man, I only have 2 days away from that place.

Fortunately, that is behind me and I have held other positions since. Even when I am happy, I don't want to leave the warm covers in the morning, I do agree with you and I think that is very normal.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2015

I get really bad Sunday night anxiety. I get this weird feeling in my stomach and have trouble sleeping. Depending on the kind of day I'm going to have (rotating schedule), I sometimes wake up thinking, yes this is going to be a good day, or bleh this is going to be a long one. Today, for instance, I have three 100-min classes in a row, followed by a 90-min staff meeting, followed by a 45-60-min drive to the night class I teach, which is 2 hours. So I am going from 8am to 8pm today. So today was a "bleh" morning.

The Sunday night thing is worse for me than the mornings -- I hate it but it's gotten better at my new job this year. I think it's a leftover from my past positions which were so chaotic and stressful. I'm hoping it gets a little better every year!

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 21, 2015

I'm very much a morning person and begin losing energy in the afternoon/evening. I'm not really the type of go party at night.

School-specific, pretty good. I suppose I'm rather zen about it. Get up, get ready, go to school.

However, while I enjoy teaching, it is a bit stressful and while I wouldn't quite describe the feeling as dread, when I worked for the BSA my mood was different. There's no bad stress for me getting ready for a school day, but there was a lot less stress in that other career.

14. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

I actually enjoy being up early in the morning provided I've had a decent amount of sleep. I love to be able to sit and enjoy my coffee. There's something oddly peaceful about being up when no one else is.

Of course, on most school mornings I don't have time for that. I also tend to not get enough sleep during the week which makes getting up extra hard. But usually once I've taken my dog out for a walk I feel much more awake and ready to go. And I wouldn't say I dread getting up on school days- I just don't like it!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 21, 2015

I hate anything waking me up. When I wake up on my own, I'm good. I've been getting up at 6:00 for so many years that my body clock usually wakes me up. If not, I feel like death.

I'm a night owl, though. I flip my days and nights when I get out for summer.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 21, 2015

I drag myself out of bed in the morning - especially on Mondays. Once I get to work, I'm fine and happy to be there. But when the alarm goes off, I just want to roll over and go back to sleep. :)

A few days ago, I woke up suddenly and thought the alarm hadn't gone off. So, I jumped out of bed and started getting ready until my husband pointed out that it was Saturday. LOL. Getting to go back to bed was a good feeling. :)

17. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

I worked in a toxic school one year where I felt the same way. I've since worked in better schools and have learned to compartmentalize and to ruminate less about work related stress.

I'm also a morning person and tend to get up easily and early. That said, I do enjoy unstructured free time and I am getting pretty burned out by this time of the year.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2015

Me too...I actually considered going into nursing instead of teaching simply because I would love to work 3rd shift. I have tons of energy at night and I think my body would be happiest if I stayed up all night and slept in the morning.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2015

I don't dread work, but I do hate getting up in the morning. If I could work 9-3 Mon-Fri I'd be great. :)

Luckily my school district for 2016 is making it so no school starts before 8am. 7:15 is too early for both teachers and kids!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2015

I'm not working this school year (yay!), but when I did, once I got to work, I was OK. But I haven't been teaching anywhere close to decades or anything...just subbing for 11 yrs, special ed teaching for 1 yr, & was an SLP for 3 yrs.

I'm an OK morning person like you OP. These days, I am starting to get into the routine of going walking almost every morning around 7:30am for about 45 min.

21. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

I don't sleep well. Lately, it has gotten pretty bad. I downloaded an app on my iPhone that can record your movement and/or sounds. I have learned a lot from this little app.

One thing it is supposed to do is to allow your alarm to wake you during your light sleep cycle which is supposed to be better for you. If you wake up during your light sleep cycle, you are more refreshed and clear headed compared to waking up during your deep sleep cycle.

As for school affecting my sleep, often times, if I sm stressed or worried, I don't sleep well. But, that happens in all parts of life, not just teaching.

22. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 21, 2015

It is SO hard to wake up in the mornings. No matter what time I go to sleep, 5:25 comes too early! I am fine once my coffee kicks in and I get to school. :)

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2015

I sleep as long as I possibly can and still get to work on time. Once I wake up, I stretch and roll around for a few minutes, watch the weather on tv and check email while still in bed. Then I'm up and running.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

I have a hard time getting up in the AM. By the time I get to work, though, I'm fine.

25. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 21, 2015

While I love teaching, I hate getting up early. I feel good after a morning shower and my hot cup of coffee.

26. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Apr 21, 2015

I can definitely relate to this. A few years back I was at a job that I really didn't enjoy at all. Every day I woke up with a sense of dread and just wanted the day over with.
    Now I'm at a new school working in my preferred area with a class that I love! I'm not a morning person, but I never dread going to work. If anything, I look forward to seeing my students.

27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 21, 2015

THIS.

I am a night owl. Mornings are just painful no matter what. I'm usually ok once I'm up and moving around, but I just cannot get out of bed!!

28. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 22, 2015

I consider myself a morning person, but hate waking up for work! I love my job and once I'm awake and moving I feel fine. I don't know why I'm like this, I just don't like getting up on the weekdays.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 22, 2015

I try to get up earlier than I have to so I don't have to rush and take my time with my beloved coffee. I find that I don't mind getting out of bed early when it's already light outside like in the spring and summer. In the winter I'm much more likely to hit my snooze button at least 3 times.

30. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2015

I dread waking up on work day mornings.

On weekends, I don't mind becuase I can get up when I want and go for an outdoor run.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2015

This is so true!!! Those January/February mornings are awful. The worst is in March, when we have a hint of morning daylight and then DST plunges us back into darkness!

32. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 22, 2015

I usually feel alright. There are days when I would rather stay in bed. I would also not mind a bit of a later start. When I grew up in England school didn't start until about 8:45. And we had two recesses!