How do you feel about your P?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Jan 10, 2012.

?

How do you feel about your P?

1. I love mine! Supportive & genuine. I hope we never lose him/her!

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. My P has his/her days. For the most part, though, I think he/she's doing okay.

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Eh. I don't really have an opinion. I do my own thing and try to stay under the radar.

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Unsupportive & difficult to get along w/. I wish I had a countdown to his/her final days!

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 10, 2012

Just wondering, really.
    Mine likes to yell at teachers (another occurrence happened today) and is very accusatory instead of supportive. I don't care what you do, yelling is unprofessional and un-called for.
    I know there are other P's who are better than mine, and some who are probably worse.

Yours? (Personally and professionally)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

My principal is someone I would choose as a friend.If he were not a member of a religious community, my principal is someone I would choose as a neighbor, or a brother in law.

He's kind and caring, professional and supportive. He's a wonderful human being, and he has my admiration and respect.

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

I have always said that I am extremely lucky to be working for such incredibly supportive administration. She asks our opinions because she believes they are valuable. She stands up for us, and encourages us to do the same for our students. She gently corrects when necessary (so rarely), and has a sense of humor. She has high proffessional expectations of us, but reminds us that we are also all human. Ireally respect her a great deal.

Could you ask for anyone better??

5. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 10, 2012

Wow! I don't know what that's like! This is my first school to work at so she's all I know but surely, I thought, this is not how things should be!
    Everyone is very unhappy with her.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 10, 2012

She is not the best I have had and not the worst I've had!

I enjoy her, but if I ever had an issue with a parent or staff member, I don't have faith in how she would resolve it. She is not good with confrontation!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 10, 2012

I've worked for 4 different principals. Each one would have fallen in a different catergory. My current P is awesome!

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

Yours sounds exactly like mine. I love my job, but I hate going to work everyday because of him.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2012

Love my P. Heck, I love my whole admin team. I hope they never get moved around.

Now the DO... they could use some new people!

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 10, 2012

I am so grateful for my P. This is his first year as a principal, and my first year as a teacher. Both my P and AP are soooo supportive of me as I transition into teaching. They don't treat me like I need to "earn" my place at the school, they believe in me regardless of how many years I have under my belt. If I didn't have such great support in my administration, I doubt that I would be able to make it through my first year with a smile :)

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

My P is very hands off. He kind of lets us do our own thing but passes along district mandates.

This is both a blessing and a curse sometimes. It's nice because you can do your own thing with little fall out, but then no one is making sure that the district mandates are being followed....

Discipline is also a bit of an issue because he is hands off.

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jan 10, 2012

I've worked for 4 principals, and two (including my current P) have been outstanding people who I respect in and out of school. One was extremely abusive, which is why all but about 4 teachers transferred away the year I transferred.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 10, 2012

Love my P.
    He lets us be the expert he expects us to be, but is supportive when needed.

14. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 10, 2012

I think it's wonderful that so many of you have such supportive P's! But I am jealous! ;)

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 10, 2012

I'm really shocked by the number of people who love their principals! :eek:

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 10, 2012

I chose "mine has her days." Overall, I think I'm pretty lucky and it could be a lot worse. My P likes me, and that's a good place to be. She has adult ADHD and as far as I can tell takes no steps to deal with it. She takes on tons and tons of projects, yet can't focus on any of them. She hates it when she's not a part of something- even if she originally delegates it, she ends up getting upset that she's not a part of whatever it is and butts back in.

On the other hand, both of my parents were teachers and I've seen them go through many admins. Sometimes I find my P downright maddening, but nothing compared to what some teachers have to go through. My dad's always been lucky enough to be one of the "favorites" but he's had several abusive admins at his school. Even though they liked him, just watching his friends go through everything the P put them through has been really rough on him. For the most part, I feel that my P respects the teachers. We're encouraged to voice opinions. She actually wants us to "push back" as she calls it. I think she purposely looks for people that are willing to speak up/fight for what they think is right when interviewing...she equates this with having passion for teaching. Even as a fairly new teacher, I have a lot of influence in my building- she really listens to me, respects my opinion, and incorporates my suggestions, when many people would just look at me as someone who is too young to possibly know anything. Her greatest quality is that she is 100% there for the kids. She really does care about them and their needs, even placing what the kids really need above getting good test scores, which I think is a rare quality in an admin. We don't teach to the test in our building and she's really concerned with what/how the kids are learning, not how they're filling in bubbles. For me that's such an important quality that it overrides all of the smaller irritating things!

17. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 10, 2012

A few of you have mentioned "abusive" admins. What would you say constitutes them as being "abusive"?

18. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

didn't vote but in general I respect the P at our school, think she genuinely wants to do a good job and let's us alone to do our jobs. My only complaint is that I only hear from her via email...we are a really small school and I am old school. Feedback needs to be done face to face and not via email.Email is fine for the munadane/ordinary/administrative stuff.

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2012

I can't even find the words to describe how wonderful my principal is this time around. He treats us like we have a brain between our two ears. He treats us as his peer, very rarely has ever gotten upset with a teacher. He never talks down to us ever, even when we are in "trouble" He stands up for us, he has our backs when things get tough with either other admins, parents, or kids. He knows almost all the students by name.He is just an amazing man all the way around. My first principal well, I will just say I am very glad that I am no longer teaching at the school district. She was a micro manager, and not supportive in any way shape or form. Just going to say I love my job, and I thank god everyday that he directed me to where I am at now!!!

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 10, 2012

Well, here are some things that have gone on at my dad's school:

They essentially decide that they don't like someone, and then make their life a living hell until they quit. I could give tons of examples, but I'll only talk about one. A 5th grade teacher a few years ago had a ton of really cool hands on projects going on in his classes. The kids loved it. Admin was afraid they weren't doing enough test practice. They kept trying to get this teacher to completely stop the projects in favor of bubble filling exercises instead. They made this teacher turn in extremely detailed lesson plans saying exactly what he'd be doing every minute of the day, and then would scrutinize the plans. They'd show up in his classroom every day and literally say things like, "Your lesson plan says that at 10:15 you will be on page 165. Why are you still on page 164?" They'd leave him a list of 20-30 things that he was doing wrong EVERY DAY. When there was any big behavior problem, they decided this teacher needed to take care of it. Remember he's a 5th grade teacher- when a 1st grader with a severe behavior disorder started punching classmates, the admin decided this 1st grader needed to spend the majority of the time in this 5th grade teacher's classroom. When the parent complained, admin left the teacher to talk to them and said nothing. They'd literally call him out in staff meetings in front of the whole school and ask why so-and-so wasn't on grade level, and then use him as a non-example for what you should be doing in your classroom. Finally, the teacher asked the P what he needed to do to get a letter of rec and the P told him he'd better resign by Monday and not a day later. This teacher is actually now a principal at a neighboring school- so jokes on them I guess! That's just one example- I could give at least 5-6 more. They continually work teachers to death for three years until they're up for tenure, decide they're suddenly "unsatisfactory" (after being satisfactory up until that point) and fire them. It's a school with about 60 employees and magically no one has been eligible for tenure in the past ten years.

-They pretty much cheat on standardized tests. For example, last year they took the 10 lowest 3rd graders and demoted them to 2nd grade in February (so they wouldn't take the state test and bring the scores down). Then they took those same kids and "promoted" them again at the very end of the year.

-They told the sped department to not even bother documenting that a student didn't meet an IEP goal, because they'll go back and change it to say they did anyway.

-They purposely push for kids that are totally fine to be on IEPs so that their "disability category pass rate" for state tests goes up.

-A couple years ago, they fired every special ed teacher except for my dad in the building with no explanation other than "poor teaching." Like I said, he's fortunate to always be a "favorite" but he was so upset watching all of this go down that he came home sobbing several days in a row. During this time, a teacher accidentally cut herself pretty badly with a knife in the staff lounge and was terrified to fill out an incident report because she was afraid she'd be fired for it.

-At the beginning of the year, they have a big staff meeting to talk about state test scores from the previous year. They then proceed to make a slide show of all the children that didn't pass, and when their picture comes up they stop it and say, "Miss _____, Johnny was in your math class. Would you please explain to the faculty what you did wrong that made Johnny fail the math test?"

-Recently, the P got on the intercom after school and announced that the work could wait and that the teachers should go home and spend time with their families (rather than staying late after school). He then proceeded to take a list of people that actually left and threw a fit about it at the next staff meeting.

And that's just the current admin! My dad's been through several principals. There was only one that didn't like him, and that P literally got so upset with him once that he threw a chair at him (yes, literally picked up a chair and threw it at him). Of course my dad contacted the union right away, he was moved to a different school in the district (where he ended up being much happier) and the P ended up losing his job at the former school.

21. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

LOVE my principal and assistant principal.

Now, if you had asked me this last year when I worked for my old principal at my old school, my response would have been the polar opposite.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 10, 2012

My principal is almost a father figure to me. His opening line to me is always a smiling, "How's Cat doing today?" The one time he had to gently admonish me for something, he was mostly concerned that I didn't come to him with my problem first. Otherwise, he is unbelievably supportive of my academics and aspirations. Because of that, I have no intention of moving on to another school.

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 10, 2012

AMAZING!

She has teachers' backs, knows her stuff, is realistic in her expectations, listens to us, and goes out to happy hour. :)

24. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 10, 2012

Our principal is a fraud and an incompetent, and we have to pay for his lack of experience.

He spent 2-3 years as an elementary principal and then the district moved him up to the high school, so that they could get someone in the position that they could control and someone who would be just glad to be IN the job.

Instead of taking a year or so to observe and make informed judgments on what works and what doesn't, he tries to come off as a "know-it-all," and as a result makes poor, shocklingly ignorant decisions.

He has NO idea how to accurately do a a teacher observation, he's cut electives, and when new teachers have gone to him for advice/assistance with an issue, he hands them a copy of this idiotic Robert Marzano book and tells them to read it...that'll solve the problem, alright!

Aside from all of that, he's incredibly aloof (when a principal has to actually be a leader and that means realistic communication with your staff) and someone most people run from, not look for, when they need help.

:down:

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2012

I have 2 to deal w/ & they're actually the best anyone could ever have. We're cordial to each other, yet we stay out of each other's way & hardly see each other.

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2012

bully, micromanager, pot-stirrer, liar, plays favorites, little boy, arrogant, data-driven, doesn't listen, overreacts, anal-retentive, two-faced, rude jerk.

27. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

I've worked for 5 principals. One was great, two were pretty good, and two were incompetent.

The current one is the epitome of incompetence. He has no idea of how to run a school. I know he was a teacher for a few years, but if I didn't know that, I would swear that he had never set foot in a school in any capacity other than as a student.

Needless to say, it's been a rough year. :(

28. MaggieB

MaggieB Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

This might sound harsh but I wouldnt lift a finger to save. Our new principal is horrible. She stated in our first faculty meeting that if she would have been in charge, none of us would have jobs. That was the high point. If I make the end of the year it will be because of the power of prayer!!!!!!

29. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

Don't be.
    In any and every proffession there are those who are incredibly talented, those who should never be there, and those who are somewhere in between. Principals are no different. Teachers are no different.

Drives me crazy when pple paint all teachers as lazy and incompetent because of the extreme news items that come along from time to time.

I'm sure it drives principals off their rockers too.

30. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2012

I like my principal so far this year, but I'm in a really big school and I don't see him all that often. I haven't had any kind of issues with parents this year, so I'm not sure how he would react. I can only imagine that he would support the teachers when necessary.

I absolutely loved my principal in Idaho. He was wonderful-so incredibly supportive of teachers. When a parent complained about a teacher once and threatened to homeschool their child, he just asked, "When's their last day?" (This was an extreme situation-the parent complained constantly.) He was very kind and helpful with parents while still supporting the teachers.

My principal my first year was awful. But I won't go into too many details on here.

31. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2012

I would think that there are many great principals out there, just as there are many great teachers out there.

Just as we expect that the teachers who are not so great are few, I would expect that the principals who are not so great are few.

32. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 11, 2012

I love my principal and my assistant principal. They are both passionate, professional women who allow us to do what we do best... teach. Beyond that, they are both truly caring and kind people, and if we need help beyond the classroom (even in our personal lives), they are supportive of us. They are actually the reason that I pursued my admin certification. If I ever decide to leave the classroom, I want to be able to positively affect a school the way they do.

33. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Jan 11, 2012

My principal is very charismatic and often supportive, but has a habit of making rash decisions and then sticking stubbornly by those decisions to save face.

For instance, last year he drew up a new schedule that gave students one minute to change classes. ONE MINUTE. We're talking about a campus that has multiple buildings, multiple floors, and thousands of students. His rationale was that it would speed up traffic and we'd have less playing in the halls.

Of course, it led to mountains of tardy slips, and even our best-behaved students were eventually landing in in-school suspension after racking up 10, 15, 20 tardies. Parents, of course, blamed teachers. We got cursed out all the time, and still the principal refused to go back on an obviously flawed policy.

It dragged on for an entire school year, and eventually teachers just refused to mark tardies until 5 minutes into class. A lot of us got in trouble for it, but we couldn't have half of our class in detention or suspension for tardies.

The schedule was quietly adjusted the next school year to allow 5 minutes between classes.

34. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 11, 2012

Funny how many of them don't like to admit when they're wrong!
    My P attempted an apology today. However, instead of apologizing she came up with a lame reason to "excuse" her outrageous behaviors, AND didn't say it to the person she really needed to. Instead, she went to this persons friend and thought of every reason in the book on why she HAD to do what she did.

:eek:

35. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2012

Our P is notorius for changing his/her expectations multiple times in a given year. I understand that change is bound to happen in education and people want to do the latest and greatest thing, but flip flopping your position constantly means you either have no backbone, or you don't really believe what you are saying the first time. As the leader you do need to be able to admit when you are wrong, but when you change ideas as often as our P does, it gets to the point that nobody trust what he/she has to say.