How do you feel about this type of classroom management?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ash Inc, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ash Inc

Ash Inc Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

Hi everyone,
    I came across this video on youtube that showed how this teacher sets up classroom management on the first day of classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk-719mTxM

I was curious how others felt about this type of a system. Unfortunately the comments are disabled for the video so I couldn't read others opinions.

I know the video is long (films the entire period), but if you watch a few minutes here and there you get a strong feel for what it's like in it's entirety.

Even though the class is very well structured/organized and the kids are obviously being quiet and working, I can't help but feel like I'm not too fond of it. There's aspects that I like and are clearly effective, but I personally would not be able to have every minute so 'rigidly' structured. I think it would drive me bonkers to count down every single task and have a 'rule' for every little thing, like how to pack up and stand before leaving. It sort of reminds me of the primary grades where they need to have most of the day highly structured and routine based, but at grade 9, I don't know if I'm crazy about it.

I'd love to hear if others think this would be a strategy they would use (or already do).

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

Looks like a waste of time, energy and student good-will in my opinion. It's like he took Harry Wong to it's absolute extreme.

If you need that kind of order with a class that small I don't think it says much about you as a manager.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 23, 2014

I think it's fantastic and actually spent the time thinking about tweaking my own methods. I teach in an urban school with very low SES, 30 students per class. I have found that my kids have so little structure and routine outside of the classroom that they need, even crave it, inside the classroom.

Every class runs exactly the same way. Every class understands what they are expected to be doing at each moment and every part of our class has a routine. It doesn't always run perfectly. Half of the reason that class in the video is so silent is that it's the first day of school. But even when they relax a bit, the routines will keep them from getting as out of control as they might in other classes.

My kids have fun and they can be chatty, but they also know exactly what's expected of them. They never have to wonder what to do and I've found it works fantastic for my type of students.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

It seems like he is treating young adults like small children. I don't like it at all.

He was talking during the whole silent survey, which is probably incredibly distracting for the students.

Also, it takes me about 10 minutes to go over procedures. His procedures seemed unnecessarily complicated.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

If I had done "don't rip the paper yet, rip it together on 1-2-3, ok, 1-2-3, rip, wow, not bad" my high schoolers would look at me like I lost my mind and think they're 2 years old.

I am not a fan of this management. I only watched bits and pieces. This is why I don't like it:
    1. I NEVER want to talk that much. The students will start tuning me out and even hate my voice. I will lose my voice by 3rd period. It's exhausting. Even now, I'm trying to talk as little as I teach, it's still too much in my opinion.
    2. these kids seemed like middle schoolers, they don't need to be taught every single thing. Yes, procedures are important, but every single detail is not.
    3. I think this is great on day 1, but by day 10 it will all get old and half of the students will resist being treated like kindergarteners.
    4. I could see it work in lower elementary.

7. Ash Inc

Ash Inc Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

Thank you for the responses so far... I really enjoy hearing about how others feel about this! When I was watching this video, I couldn't help but think how exhausting it would be to teach each lesson like this. And then I started to feel guilty and wondered if I was being a lazy teacher by not wanting to teach with this level of routine. I'm glad that others seem to think that it's a little too much, especially at this grade level.

Having taught both primary and intermediate grades, I could see this type of structure working at the early primary levels when they need to learn fundamentals, but I think teenagers are capable of self regulating themselves a lot more then what we are seeing in the video.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

Hey, if it works for him, great. Not every style of classroom management works for everyone. It is too involved for me, but I do have a really structured classroom and I imagine that a lot of teachers wouldn't want to do the work I do in the beginning of the semester either.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 23, 2014

I love this guy! Thank you for introducing me to his videos.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

I think I sound almost exactly like that, but I teach kindergarten and I have to ;). For high school, I think it can work, if he doesn't still sound like that 6 weeks in. I talk that much all day, every day, you get used to it.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2014

From an elementary perspective, I like establishing the routines and expectations from the first minute. And the instantly correcting the one child's behavior. I wouldn't want to be like that all the time, the whole year, but for the first week or so, I think it is pretty good.

12. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 23, 2014

I think, as a student, that would drive me crazy. If I had to stand up there and talk like that over and over again, i'd probably go crazy.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

Exactly. Whatever works for you, works for you. I try not to criticize what others do in their classroom or how they teach.

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 23, 2014

Exactly. I hit those points over and over the first month and I can coast the rest of the year. They know what's expected, they know what's coming next and I have far fewer disruptions that many other teachers in my building. By November, I give so few instructions and reminders, it's wonderful.

15. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Feb 23, 2014

How do we know if it "works for you?"

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

For me, I consider my management working when I can teach with few interruptions, write very few referrals, my students do not seem confused about assignments or during transitions and we can get through the material that I want to cover in a day's time.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

If what works for you isn't working for the students I have a responsibility to criticize it. I've seen plenty of classrooms that work perfectly for the teacher and horribly for the students.

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 23, 2014

How do you judge what "works" for the students? Did the students in that class seem miserable? I saw smiles, talking, laughing at the teacher's bad jokes and productivity.

19. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Feb 23, 2014

Saw this awhile back. Too much micromanaging for my taste. And it is the first day of school. Kids tend to be great the first few weeks of school until they get situated. The real test comes when they are comfortable with you.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

I always micromanage the heck out of my kids the first couple days of school, until they learn exactly what I expect. That way, I DON'T need to micromanage the heck out of them for the rest of the year.

21. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 23, 2014

Not to thread hijack, but does that work with your colleagues? A couple of thoughts came to my mind - first, it has been my experience that those most in need of constructive criticism are the least likely to want it or follow up on it. Other thoughts - I really don't have the opportunity to observe other classrooms - all I know about what goes on in other classrooms is what the students have to say. I would be reluctant to offer feedback or constructive criticism based on hearsay or second hand information.

22. Ash Inc

Ash Inc Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

That's a very valid point. I was looking at this thinking that this was the way the classroom would run all the time, which to me would be a little too much micromanaging (as some others have mentioned). But now I'm curious to see this classroom a month down the road. I wonder if a typical period would still be structured the same and if the students are still as well behaved.

23. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Feb 24, 2014

I can see data like reading levels, writing levels, and standardized test results several years back; it's very clear, without even seeing a previous teacher's classroom, whether what they're doing is "working" academically or not.

24. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 24, 2014

my next question would be....what do you do with that data? A poster above mentioned something about "criticizing' his peers. I am trying to understand how one goes about this and whether or not it is effective.

25. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2014

Rarely. That doesn't remove my responsibility, however. When something is wrong we ask kids to speak up, why should we do any less? It has worked in some cases though and when it doesn't I at least know where to steer my kids and parents.

In my position I have plenty of opportunities to see what is going on in other classes (and, more importantly, to compare them to each other). I don't have to rely on student input. That said, if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to do so at least as a starting point.

26. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 25, 2014

thanks for the response. Are you in an admin position? I am asking these questions because there is a young lady in my building who is getting crushed by her kids due to poor management skills. The admin doesn't seem to be involved. I have "felt her out" about advice but she gets defensive rather quickly so I don't push it. But it's a terrible situation for her and the kids. I feel like I am seeing a car wreck but am powerless to do anything.

again, apologies for the thread hijack.

27. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2014

I'm in between. I'm not an admin but I'm a coordinator for my program which requires me to be involved, or at least aware, of many classrooms on campus. As coordinator I get to make placement recommendations for our kids (and teachers tend to want them) which gives me some leverage.

28. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 27, 2014

I could not do that. That is all I can say.

29. Ash Inc

Ash Inc Rookie

Feb 27, 2014

I'm the OP for this thread.

I continued watching a bit further into these videos, and came to realize that this particular school is in a low SES area with high levels of failure/drop outs among the students. I also believe that it's in a fairly gang related area, because at one point it was discussed how students cannot wear red or blue to school.

With this further information, I actually understand this form of classroom management a bit better for this particular case. As I've already stated, I know I personally would not want to teach in such a micro-managing way. But knowing how much these particular students probably lack proper structure/guidelines I can get behind it a bit more.

I think it comes down to personal style of teaching AND the area you teach. I was looking at this from the mindset of the district I teach in, which is fairly middle class. The students aren't always angels by any means, but there's also a lot of very motivated students who are great workers. I don't think it would be necessary for myself to teach with such a regimented form of classroom management because the students would already have a foundation that the students in this video may not have.

Again, I've really enjoyed reading other teachers' perspectives!

30. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 27, 2014

The teacher in the video really makes me uncomfortable but I can't pinpoint why. I'm just getting bad vibes.

Anyway, way too much micromanaging for me.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 27, 2014

I didn't watch the video, but based on the comments I think I have enough of a general idea about what it contains.

I'm going to side with being pretty heavy handed the first few days or weeks of school so that I don't have to be that way for the rest of the year. I taught 7th grade in a very, very rough school. Gangs and drugs were a huge problem. I found that being on top of every little thing those first few weeks gave me the freedom to lighten up and actually teach the rest of the year. I also found that I simply didn't have the behavior problems in my class that most of the rest of the teachers had.

I'll also echo some of the others in that I'd like to see what this classroom looked like three months into the school year.