How do you feel about senior skip day?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by orangetea, Mar 22, 2012.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2012

Our seniors had an unofficial skip day today. A few skipped, but I think they're going to have a real skip day in Term 4. (Many have English finals tomorrow, so skipping today would be bad.) I expect to have empty classes on the day of the real skip day.
    The teachers are my school are mixed about it. The physics teacher says that he's fine with it, as long as the students who skip don't come to him for extra help on the material missed. On the other hand, there was a calculus test today, and the teacher promised an impossible make up test to those who were absent.
    Are you ok with senior skip day, or do you dislike it?

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 22, 2012

I am a first year teacher...but I say let the kids be kids. They have earned it.There is a lot more asked of the students than back when I was in school. Of course, we used to have to walk to school in the snow, study by candlelight,get up and milk the cows before dawn, etc.Of course, I imagine this opinion is probably wrong!;)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2012

We don't have it.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2012

I guess it's not really a school thing, it's just something that the kids decide for themselves on facebook.
    Then their parents call them in so their absence is excused, and they go to Boston or the beach usually.
    Our admin doesn't seem to care.

6. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Mar 22, 2012

I tell my kids... you're almost in college.. you miss my class, you're responsible for the work and the material. Don't come looking to me for help.

You miss a test and it's an unexcused abscence... you get a zero.. sorry.. school policy.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2012

During the early years of my school they tried it.

The dean went down to the beach, and gave a few hundred kids a heart attack.

They had to do work-- setting up chairs or something-- before they were allowed to walk at graduation.

Likewise, heaven help the student caught on TV at the St. Patrick's Day parade when it's a school day-- they KNOW the parade is on in the dean's office all day long.

Our administration does care.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2012

This.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2012

No BIGGIE for me, as long as the students are told and have a note emailed or sent home to their parents about what the outcome will be.
    Rebel1

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 22, 2012

I remember my senior skip day... went to the beach with my friends from 8 AM - 2 PM. Of course, being a total nerd, I went to school for 4th period sociology and 5th period AP Calculus! :lol:

Obviously I don't have the same perspective as all of you (yet), but I don't think I'll have a problem with it. It's senior year, they're probably stressing over college apps and AP exams and everything else, so let them have a day to think they're large and in charge. Of course, as long as the work is made up.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2012

It's been around since the old days, when I was a senior, and even before that! I don't have a problem with sr. skip-day, but I do worry that they are out acting too crazy and not being safe.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

I think it's okay to let loose and allow the kids to have a little fun for a day during their senior year. They've been in school for a long time. However, I think it'd be a good idea for the school to be unofficially in on it. Not only could they try not to schedule any major exams or anything that day, but also to make sure the kids aren't doing anything too rowdy or unsafe.

If they planned this themselves in addition to the "real" skip day, then anything they miss is their responsibility.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 23, 2012

We are dealing with that issue now. Do I care about frequent absences among Seniors? Absolutely. Do I care if Seniors skip a day of class to have some fun among their class? No, as long as they are responsible about it, do not do it on a day where they have a test, and their parents are okay with it.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2012

Eh. Let 'em be kids. It's kind of a rite-of-passage.

I did senior skip day, but I didn't go with the "pack" - a few friends and I went to the beach. Everyone else went out to breakfast and then skipped on the bill, too. Admin was p***ed. I ended up forking over $25 bucks for a breakfast I didn't even attend, just to help the school out of the embarrassment. I just hope kids still doing skip day are more mature than my classmates.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

It irritates me because they are already checked out and I only see them every other day to begin with. Many of them are doing poorly in most of their classes. My school did not have a senior skip day because admin said we would not be allowed to walk. I don't agree that they have earned a day off. That's what spring break is for, not to mention the fact that they get out two weeks earlier than everyone else!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

I agree with this to an extent. Senior skip day for us falls the day after our big rivalry football game. Those kids have been going for a week straight at that point, and take the Friday to sleep in, get some breakfast, and recover. We couldn't not let someone walk because of an absence. They get a certain number per semester, and as long as they are under that, they get credit and can graduate.

17. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 23, 2012

We had it back in the dark ages when I was a kid. Sluff day. It was the only day I sluffed in my young life. We went to the canyons and had a blast riding tubes down the creeks. I still have wonderful memories. So, as long as they are safe, and making some lifelong memories I say, "It's good to keep tradition alive."

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

Our seniors just randomly decide to take a day off. It doesn't have any rhyme or reason to it.

19. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2012

We had it in HS. I didn't participate.

We still have one but participation isn't very high.

I say, teach and make them make up work. If their absense is unexcused then follow the school policy on unexcused work.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2012

I loved senior skip day when I was in school.

I was the only kid there, and I got to sit in my classes and do nothing all day.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2012

I still remember my Senior Skip Day, mostly because it didn't happen. One day, a bunch of us sat down with a calendar and realized we had missed it by four days. This fact was mentioned in my high school yearbook with much humor.

At my current school, it would go largely unnoticed unless they all skipped a live lecture at once.

22. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

If the students are doing poorly in all of their classes and taking days off as they please, it sounds like a larger issue than the traditional senior skip day.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

Around here, senior skip day is usually the day after prom. Students use it as an excuse to "party" excessively, and sadly, many of them get in trouble because of it. We have such an issue with senior apathy and absences that we really try to come down hard on senior skip day, but beyond counting them unexcused and reporting it to their parents (and giving zeros for any work missed because it's unexcused), there's not a LOT we can do.

We certainly couldn't send our principal or administrator out to catch them because we live in a huge city... Sometimes I wish we could pay them that much attention.

24. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

It's always been a tradition around here and it's not a big deal. Of course, it used to be more symbolic prior to the year 2000. For example, the class of '99 would set "Senior Skip Day" for 99 days prior to graduation. Once 2000 hit, I'm not sure how they picked the day. (Knowing our guys, they probably picked zero days before graduation! LOL!!!) :lol:

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

Yes some of ours have much larger issues! But I meant they just choose the day randomly as a class not like the day after prom or something.

26. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2012

In my HS it was a school sanctioned day. The school planned some sort of "field trip" for the seniors and you could either choose to show up and go to that or "skip". Regular classes for seniors weren't held. My year we went to a local university's rec center where you could go to the waterpark/pool or play sports on any of the courts/fields or even work out if you wanted to. We could choose to go to any restaurant within walking distance for lunch- so we were basically free to do whatever all day and they certainly didn't baby us or try to keep us all together or anything like that. The great majority of my class went. Our town wasn't too exciting- there wasn't really anywhere to go if you decided to skip so I guess most people thought the field trip was more fun. I think that was a good idea on the school's part- it basically made the whole thing a non-issue.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

I don't even think our seniors do it. To me, it's not a big deal. I had it when I was a senior. We spent the night at the lake the night before and spent all day there the next. No big deal to our teachers or the admin. As long as the students are doing something safe and not illegal, it wouldn't be a big deal.

28. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

Mar 23, 2012

Is what it is

I have mixed feelings about senior skip day. I participated in it when I was a senior. We went to the beach. It is one of my more cherished high school memories. This was the only day I had ever skipped in my entire four years of high school. So in that sense, I'd say let kids be kids. It is something they will probably remember and recall much later in life. At the same token, if they are out drinking, doing drugs, engaging in other risky behavior, or if they are chronic skippers then use caution. Each individual teacher should address the issue of senior skip day with their students. Explain to your students the consequences of skipping and the benefits of attending class. Let the chronic skippers know that this could be the determining factor in graduating. Explain to the students the consequences of risky behavior. Have they heard this speech before? I sure hope so. But it doesn't hurt to reiterate. I wouldn't intentionally schedule a test or assignment; this seems utterly cruel and shows how discounted some teachers are from their students. Social development is just as much an important aspect of high school as the actual education. Senior skip day to me is a day when all students regardless of which "click" or group they belong to can enjoy some of their final high school moments together. I would let the students know that they are responsible for the work they miss in class and possibly assign an additional homework assignment to cover the lecture, or class work missed. Just my two cents. Of course I am not a licensed teacher yet so I don’t know how much validity my argument holds. Heck I could turn into the most authoritarian teacher out there….. I sure hope not. :2cents:

29. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 23, 2012

I don't think it's a big deal, if the student choosing to skip is doing well in his/her classes and isn't skipping on a day when there's a test or something due.

I have to say though, my parents NEVER would have called in an absence so I could skip school, whether it was "skip day" or not.

30. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 23, 2012

I skipped on senior skip day. The only day I ever skipped in my life.

Here it is the day before prom. Go to the beach, work on your tan, get your last-minute prom stuff done.

When I was in high school it wasn't a big deal. The principal routinely went to the beach to catch kids skipping (the local principals alternated days and drug anyone who looked like they should be in school back to the beach police to handle it, lol) But on senior skip day they didn't bother.

I don't remember missing any assignments. All of my teachers just taught seniors, except for one and my best friend and I ran that class so it wasn't a big deal.

The only time I've taught seniors in the spring was when I kids who routinely skipped anyhow. So it wouldn't have impacted my day either. If I had a senior course I would do something a bit lighter that day and just let the kids be.

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

I will say that our school gave us off the day of prom. Our prom was always Friday. That was really nice!

32. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2012

I find it a joke and quite indicative of why education is so undervalued in our modern society. It's the "I should get this because of X where X equals I exist" mentality that gets you exactly nowhere in life.

I felt the same way when I was in school 14 years ago.

33. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 24, 2012

We have senior skip day, duly announced via Facebook I suppose, but it is always a failure. The seniors come to school anyway, with few exceptions. "I didn't want to get behind." or "I had a test in physics" or "My mom wouldn't let me," they say. I am blessed to work in a small nerdish enclave, behind the times, here in the hills.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2012

There has always been talk of senior skip day, even back when I was a student. However, nobody really ever does it. The attendance wasn't any worse than normal on "skip day". The closest we ever got was bringing notes from parents to let us check out. We'd leave, go get sandwiches from the local store, and head to the nearby state part and go hiking and swimming. We didn't really ever miss anything because it was the last week of school. The grades were already turned in, and there weren't any finals.

I figure that if they are old enough to make that decision, they are old enough to face any consequences.

Normally our seniors are all old enough to check themselves out of school. (They don't have to have a parent note from 18 or older.) I graduated at 17, so I had to have a parent note.

35. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

At my high school senior ditch day was the Monday after prom. It might change once I become a real teacher, but I don't really have a problem with them ditching one day of school.

36. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2012

In my school, we encourage parents to call in because if they don't,then they lose 3 points off their term grade.
    We're fine with them skipping one day as a class, but I get worried with multiple absences from seniors.