how do you feel about RETESTS

Discussion in 'High School' started by traeh, Oct 31, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Oct 31, 2007

just wondering what everyone's take is on retests.

Do you allow them? What do YOU believe are the advantages/downsides of allowing students to retake a quiz or test on which the student(s) performed poorly? I'm talking about high schoolers in particular...

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 31, 2007

I don't give retakes unless I realize that I didn't fully cover the topics on the assesment. I also do no accept late work for any credit. I do however drop some grades, I drop one quiz/mini project/mini essay/binder check (50 pts about), and 2 homeworks (5-30 points)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2007

If the problem is MY fault, I'm OK with a retest.

But if they chose not to study, to attend extra help, or to make any effort, the grade stands.

That said, I test every 2 weeks and quiz about twice a week. There are a LOT of grades. So one bad day won't have any serious effect. I normally also drop the lowest grade (although I don't always mention that tidbit until the end of the 1st marking period.)

5. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 1, 2007

I let them retake major exams only (the Chapter exams), if they earned below 70%. The highest grade they can earn on a retake is 70%. It is their choice to take it or not, and they must sign up with me in the week before the retakes so I know how many will be taking it, and they know they'd better be studying! Retakes are taken in the week before quarter exams, so while they are studying for retakes they are also studying for exams. It has been very successful...they don't just give up for the quarter because they "flunked" an exam - they know they have a second chance.

6. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

My policy is similar to CindyBlue's.

I don't allow retakes on exams. However if a student got below a 70% on a quiz, I allow them to retake it for up to 70% credit.

It's amazing how few take advantage of that opportunity.

7. traeh

traeh Companion

Nov 1, 2007

I really like all of your ideas. Another idea I heard recently: If more than 1/2 the class fails (no less than exactly 1/2)... then they all have the opportunity to retake it for a higher grade. If less than 1/2 bombed it, then obviously it was a feasible assessment, and there's no excuse.

I also like the idea that kids may retake quizzes for up to 70%. However, isn't that unfair to the kids that took it the first time and got a 70%? How come the kid that got a 70% the first time, can't retake it for an 80%?

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 3, 2007

I am not a high school teacher, but I thought I would respond anyways. When I was in high school I had a teacher that would not do re-rests. But, she would allow us to do our corrections on a test for a fraction of the mark. I think we earned 1/4 mark per correction. This was a great way for us to go over our mistakes and learn from them. The 1/4 marks never really added up to anything significant, but I always learned a lot by going over my mistakes.

9. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 5, 2007

The reason I do it the way I do is because I figure everyone should have the chance to recover from a "devastating" exam score, and because I figure everyone should have an opportunity to earn at least a C grade. The "A" and "B" kids already "get it" enought to be successful later on when they have to use that math to support future math learning, and the "D" kids obviously don't; thus in an effort to support them, they get that chance to earn a "C" (and thus demonstrate that they've learned more of the material!) The other kids (the ones who earned A' and B's) have never objected to my retake policy. They know that they themselves might need it someday! (And to be honest, I tried giving retakes to everyone who wanted one for a few years...and discovered that the "A" and "B" kid's grades rarely ever changed, indicating that they didn't really study, just re-took it hoping to get a higher grade...a LOT more work for me with little evidence of increased learning for them! So I don't do it anymore!)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2007

I do a test correction journal instead of re-takes. In the test corrections they have to correct the answers and explain why they got the wrong answer, what went right and wrong in their studying of the material, and several other questions. If anyone would like to see it, PM me and I will send you a copy.

11. Docere

Docere Rookie

Nov 9, 2007

I think test corrections offering half credit for every corrected answer is the best way to go. Writing out the answer they got wrong in a full sentence is a nice way to help get it ingrained in their minds. I don't care so much when they learn what they're supposed, but that they eventually do.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 17, 2007

That depends on what kind of grading system you have in place. If your school stressed meeting standards, then you sort of HAVE to allow retesting to allow the student to gain the required standard.

We allow "redo to proficiency", so students keep getting items back for reworking until they get it right. Naturally there are ways in place to note how many times the student had to redo, and whether it was due to lack of effort or lack of knowledge.

13. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Nov 22, 2007

I don't give retests, I give a project that they can make up for a 70. And if they do poorly on an exam, I remind them to study that exam because I will ask those questions plus the new ones on the next test.

14. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007

No re-tests. Either you know the material of you don't. It's their job to study. I understand life happens, therefore, I give extra-credit (HARD extra-credit though).

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 24, 2007

Re-tests are a kind of extra credit.

Extra credit is for those students who did ALL of the REQUIRED CREDIT.

EXTRA credit, not "instead of" credit.

Totally not fair to those students who worked hard and got it the first round.

16. IrishCakes

IrishCakes New Member

Dec 4, 2007

I require all students who fail a test to take it home and re-take for homework and have their parents sign. They get half a point for each new correct answer. I feel it is more important for them to understand the information than punish them for not diong wellt eh first time. Yes, sometimes students fail because they choose not to study, but others really benefit from the "double-test" and come back with a greater understanding of the material.

17. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

Hmm, its tough to say. I give them a chance to retake one BAD test or drop it all together. I know its "wrong" to do stuff like that, but honestly, some of these kids would not have a way out if they didnt catch a break here and there. Its hard enough to get them ALL to work, so when they finally do, I dont want to tell them to basically f--- off. The worst is when students finally turn it around and then they still have a D or F and they just say, "see man, forget it, its not even worth doing the work..." I try really hard not to give zeros on anything. Its hard to completely FAIL my class. I have a ton of C's, few B's, two or three A's (if that), few D's, and maybe one F.

The most demoralizing thing as a teacher is when students just give up. I hate seeing that. I provide EVERY possible opportunity for them to pass...yet some of them just see their 40% or 50% and go, "oh well screw it...I'm done." I know you cant save them all...but its sad when some talented kid fails because he has no support or the benefit of learning a solid work ethic that most of us (on this board) learned from our parents or good teachers.