how do you feel about parents who opt out of getting kids shots

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hanvan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2007

Garden Dove, I agree. I applaud your approach. I wish there were more doctors open to holistic approaches. This concerns me when I actually do have children.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2007

Apparently the HPV vaccine "takes" better if given younger - and if given before a girl becomes sexually active. That's what drives the recommended age for vaccination. In any case, a vaccination isn't going to CAUSE a girl to go out and get sexually active.

3. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

While I know that a vaccination isn't going to CAUSE a girl to go out and become sexually active, I don't feel that it has been researched enough to know if it works better at a younger age or not. It is still too new to know if the benefits are greater when the child is younger, or if it is about the same. Just as I wouldn't give my child a medication that hasn't been around long enough to be researched fully, I wouldn't give my child a vaccination that they just simply don't know if there are any side effects in a larger population. To each their own, that's for sure! I think the main issue that I have with the HPV vaccine is that many states are beginning to require it for school, which I think shouldn't be the case as of yet. Who knows, maybe in 10 years they will see dramatic benefits to this particular vaccine. There's always going to be a debate over vaccinations.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 27, 2007

I am wondering what this world would be like today if our parents and grandparents had refused to have their children vaccinated. I think there would no doubt be far fewer of us.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2007

I'm curious are they requiring it just for girls??? I have read that they think the boys should have it to since it is a sexually transmitted disease.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2007

Agree with you... or many of us with a lot of "side" effects from the "diseases"!!!

Mine are all vaccinated!!! I need to do get the Hep B. I also got a booster measle shot when I think I was in Jr. High because there was a big scare of it making a comeback.

7. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2007

I ***think*** its just for girls because HPV can cause ovarian cancer in girls

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2007

I'm surprised this hasn't caused a ruckus!!!
    I found this on CDC site.
    What about vaccinating boys?
    We do not yet know if the vaccine is effective in boys or men. It is possible that vaccinating males will have health benefits for them by preventing genital warts and rare cancers, such as penile and anal cancer. It is also possible that vaccinating boys/men will have indirect health benefits for girls/women. Studies are now being done to find out if the vaccine works to prevent HPV infection and disease in males. When more information is available, this vaccine may be licensed and recommended for boys/men as well.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2007

Personally, to each is own. If my child is around another child who hasn't had their vaccinations how is that going to harm MY child who has been vaccinated? I'm really not worried about that.

We vaccinate for most, but we do not for some that I feel are unneccessary...the flu, chicken pox, for example. We do for the majors ones like HepB, MMR, etc. We are currently working with our ped. with Aiden also on having them more spread out throughout the years because Tanner had bad reactions to his when he was smaller each time he'd get them. I also have bad reactions to immunizations so it is something I am always reading about and talking to my children's doctor about.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2007

Totally off the topic, sorry.

Brian had a bad reaction to his MMR: high fever for a few days. So, two years later when it was time to immunize Julia, I asked the pediatrician to schedule it at a "convenient" time for me. I figured that, as siblings, the odds were decent that she might too have a reaction.

He very patiently waited a few seconds for me to remember that, while they are siblings, Brian is adopted and Julia isn't.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2007

Alice that's pretty funny!!!;)

12. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 27, 2007

That's nice that you forgot about that. It speaks volumes as to you as a parent. Very sweet. It's sometimes hard to be adopted and feel different. (I know)

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 27, 2007

I've read that the HPV cut-off is 26. What does current research say about women around that age getting the shot?

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2007

Check the CDC website...they have info posted there!!!

15. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2007

Good point! I am giving reese the shots as they are recommended. She hasn't had any reactions to them...not even a fever THANK GOD!

16. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2007

:) How funny!

17. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2007

I don't know anything about HPV. I know Tx wants everyone to have it but thats all I know. I think when reese is closer to the age I will research it more. They will know SO MUCH more about it by then anyway! Heck maybe it won't even be around

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2007

Hanvan, plus there may be more in the effects of t when she's of age!!! I know it's something to keep an eye on!!!

Mine have had recommended...other than being a little crabby no side effects (knock on wood)!!! I do give them a little tylenol before & then some usually before bed to help them sleep!!!

19. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 29, 2007

Both boys and girls should be vaccinated against HPV. I looked on the CDC website and it says that you can get it sexually as well as skin to skin contact. Both men and women can get it.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 30, 2007

I personally am pro-vaccination. I remember when some of the vaccines came out (dating myself), and we (schoolkids) would line up in the gym to get our shots. I have one child, and I made sure that she received every vaccine. My sister has three sons, and she vaccinated them as well -- and one of my nephews has Autism (non shot-related). My stance on it is that despite the risks, the benefits are huge. When was the last outbreak of smallpox that you heard of? or measles? Heck, even chicken pox is almost wiped out, and it was nothing! I kind of equate vaccination with hand washing and using antibacterial gels -- they are all used to prevent illnesses.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2007

They are still in the testing phase for the boys though...maybe in the next few years for the boys!!!

22. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

May 1, 2007

I agree with a lot of what everyone is saying...first, that yes, benefits are absolutely huge for getting your child vaccinated, but again, I really do think that it is completely up to the parents. As one of you said, if your child is vaccinated, and it sitting next to a child at school that is not, is it really going to harm your child? Probably not because they have been vaccinated! Either way, yes, vaccines do benefit the greater good of society as a whole. Both of my sisters have fully vaccinated their children. I don't see anything wrong with doing things that way, but I do think that as a parent, you have to be informed, and do what is best for your child. Just my opinion!