how do you feel about parents who opt out of getting kids shots

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hanvan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

There is a HUGE trend right now of parents not getting kids their shots. Some say that certain shots (MMR is one) can cause autism but there is NO scientific link yet. You can even send these kids to school without having shots in just about every state. I have seen the link that allows it. ANYWAY point is what do you think about that?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2007

As I understand it, our school policy is this:

If there's a report of a case of the disease for which you haven't been immunized, you're on protective quarantine for 8 weeks or so.

That's not an official statement; it's my summary of what I remember the dean saying the last time we had this discussion in the faculty room.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

I can understand it. My neighbor's son had huge problems with one of his shots. He ended up in a coma for 5 weeks. When he came out, and after a long recovery, he is Ok except he walks with a limp. It is quite bad, he can't run like other kids and sports is really out of the question. He does swim so that is good.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 18, 2007

Generally speaking, I am pro-immunization. I'm glad we have them. As someone who had a side effect (deafness) from one, I am able to understand and support a parent's right to deny immunizations for their child. I'm glad though that we have to go through a process for it though because I'd rather people not just say that to save themselves a trip to the doctor. If they have to go to the doctor and they are really not against immunizations, they will just go ahead and get the shot.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

I believe parents have the right to choose, but they also have to understand the schools' policies (they can't attend our without their shots). By choosing not to get them, they are exposing their children to the diseases and therefore all of the other kids (and adults) at the school.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 18, 2007

Theoretically if the other children are immunized, then they won't get it even if they are exposed.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

Many of the articles I've read, though, have talked about mutation of the diseases. Also, for adults the danger is the amount of time from the shots to the exposure.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

On the one hand, I understand wariness about the shots. My elder daughter reacted badly to her second DPT shot - she spiked a fever and had a seizure, and if I never, ever, ever again see anyone have a seizure, it will be waaaay too soon. From then on she had the version of the vaccine that doesn't cover pertussis.

This, incidentally, is why it makes sense to keep the schedule light after vaccinations: so parents can monitor what's happening and get help promptly if it's needed.

The purpose of requiring vaccination, however, is really not to protect an individual here or an individual there. It is to protect the population as a whole. The greater the percentage of the population that's immune to the disease, the less likely it is that those who aren't immune to the disease will get it, because those who aren't immunized will be less likely to come into contact with the disease. Imagine 100 people in a room with overhead sprinklers. If 90% or more of the people in the room have umbrellas (which represent immunity), the chances are decent that everyone in the room can stay fairly dry. As the percentage of umbrella-toters goes down, however, the likelihood of the non-umbrella-toters getting drenched goes up.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2007

But another child, also not immunized, might.
    And might bring it home to a preganant mom, sister, neighbor, or to an infant sibling.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/louisiana.htm

You should check this out...every state can get an exemption...even yours

12. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

Personally I am pro-immuzation. I understand why moms are scared to do it but I don't agree with it. this is the link with all the states...you would be surprised how many can get away with it

http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

13. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2007

What a great way to put it!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 18, 2007

Teacher Groupie, that's about how I feel. On one hand I've seen the reprocussion (incidentally my reaction was the to same shot you are mentioning) but at the same time I'm still primarily pro-immunization because prior to them those diseases were wiping people out.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

No kidding: a friend of mine, as a toddler, was one of the last kids to get polio before the brand-new Salk vaccine came into wide use. She vividly remembers her mother's iron lung. There was truly no way to predict who would fall ill and who wouldn't; under those circumstances, even a vaccine that's risky starts looking like a better option.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

When the kids don't have their shots, letters go home explaining that they must have the shots. We've never had a parent refuse. I know of 2 different sets of parents who had the exemtion refused.

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 18, 2007

Our kids are not allowed at school if they are not up to date on their shots. Not sure what the exemptions are...I think only religious but don't quote me. Most people take their kids to get them.

18. FTSP

FTSP Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

Where I live you can get an exception to them. I did not do that but did space the shots out. I have a child with aspergers and she dosen't always tell us when she's in pain so she got one shot at a time with a month between. It worked well for us

19. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

If the parents were more informed they could of fought it! You will probably see more of this within the next 5 years since its very popular to do right now...

20. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

Do you think the shots caused the aspergers? I am thinking about doing the MMR seperatly

21. FTSP

FTSP Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

No I don't. However the new shot to protect against HPV we are passing on for now. Her MD has had some girls have neuro issues after getting that.

We just spaced them out because I am a worry wort and wanted to be able to tell if she was having a reaction and not have to guess to what.

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 19, 2007

I would not want my children sitting next to a child who hadn't been vaccinated. I consider vaccination as insurance for a greater good. After a certain date, my former school called the parents to come to school and remove their unvaccinated children, and if they didn't come and get them, we called CPS to come and get them. I agreed with this policy.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2007

The parents of our students who are not up-to-date on vaccinations receive letters from the Ministry of Health asking for proof of vaccinations to be submitted or a suspension process is begun. There is an opportunity for parents to "opt-out" because of religious reasons, but I don't think it's easy. We have had a couple of outbreaks of pertussis at our school within the past couple of years with some students very ill,hospitalized, and missing up to a month of school. In my opinion, it isn't worth the risk to not have the immunization.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

I would not allow my child to have this shot either. Years from now, who knows, the side effects. I am skeptical.

25. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Apr 19, 2007

How early do they start wanting girls to get the HPV vaccine?:sorry: , but my own are approaching this stage.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

New Mexico is putting the HPV vaccine on the list for vaccines kids need to have to be enrolled in school. They will notify parents in 3rd grade that their daughter needs the vaccine. Parents can opt out by signing a form (easier than opting out for the other vaccines)

27. FTSP

FTSP Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

I'm in New Hampshire and DD is 9. So they start discussing it pretty young and want to give the shot at 11 from what was explained to me.

28. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Apr 20, 2007

I think it's their personal choice as long as the kids get regular check ups. The shots run risks that parents are well versed in now and would rather not take those risks. It's their personal choice.

29. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

Emily is getting her shots but I'm holding off the MMR as long as I can and then she will one day get them. I would prefer to wait until she is older than 2. Right now she is 13 months. Daycare needed an updated blue slip. So I got it. Just not the MMR on it and they paid no attention apparently. No one has said anything about it yet.

I know she needs them. I know (SUPPOSEDLY) the MMR doesn't contain thimerisol/mercury in it anymore. But I'm still leary about it.

My 2 cents!

30. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 21, 2007

I live in Washington and have opted out of many vaccines. You just sign on the back, simple as that.

If there is an outbreak, my children would be required to either get the vaccine for that specific disease, or stay out of school until the outbreak is over.

31. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 21, 2007

There is quite of bit of evidence that we are over-vaccinating our children and ending up with confused immune systems, prone to auto-immune diseases. I've been holistic in my approach with my 6 children, with homebirths, breastfeeding, and selective vaccinations. Have only used an antibiotic once in 30 years of parenting.

Allergies and autoimmune diseases have dramatically risen in the last 20 years.

32. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2007

This is something that should be a parent's decision. If something goes wrong, the parent is the one who has to deal with it. Our role is to support the parents in their parenting.

33. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2007

I know some homeschoolers who don't immunize. I recently had Jeanne in for the hepatitis and chicken pox shots our school system required.

34. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 21, 2007

Ultimately, it is the parent's choice on whether their child is immunized or not. But, that doesn't mean that I agree with it. I think they should be immunized for the greater good of all. I think those chances of something going wrong because a child is immunized against certain diseases is very slim.

35. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

This is a tough topic. I definitely think it is up to the parents to decide, and it's not my place to judge. If they have the proper exemptions on file, I don't have a problem with it. In my center, parents who have opted out of certain vaccinations must sign a waiver that they take full responsibilty for their child's health while in our care, and understand that there is always the possibility of exposure within a group of children. In the event of an outbreak, parents of children who are not fully immunized need to keep their children home until the outbreak is over.

Basically, I feel that parents have the right to decide if they want these chemicals going into their child's body or not. I don't have any children yet (though I am expecting), but I can tell you if I have a girl, when it comes time to do the HPV vaccine, that is one I will not do.

I think as a parent you have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for your family, and your community. I don't honestly know what I will do with my child and his or her vaccines. Guess that's yet to be determined! :)

36. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 25, 2007

The MMR is scary. An associate that I knew when we lived in North Carolina took his daughter to get her 12 year old MMR booster. As a direct result of the shot she had high fevers and siezures, which resulted in brain damage (pretty severe) and now she is a quadrilplalegic, and she is only 16 years old.

I never even considered NOT getting that booster for my daughter untill I met this family. The dad has a lot of guilt because he is the one that actually took her to get the shot. He is vocal about how he wishes he would have researched the side effects and adverse reactions himself, and not relyed on his practitioner.

37. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 25, 2007

I have gotten all of my kids vaccinated. I have suffered through enough trama with my children's health not to have to worry about something preventable. And as far as the shot for HPV, I did do that for my DD, her 3rd shot is in July she will be 10 this october. But I've already had one child with cancer and though this isn't an insurance policy that she wont get it I'd like to prevent it if I can.

The only reason I would see that one wouldn't get immunizations for their child is in a case of perhaps being allergic or a history of bad reactions.

38. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 25, 2007

Does any one have an opinion particularly on the chicken pox vaccine?

We recently had some outbreaks of chicken pox in our homeschool group and some of the parents were putting together play dates with the infected children so that their kids WOULD get it, Ok, the shot has been out for a while (I think about 10 years) and I don't see why we would WANT our children to suffer for 2 weeks with chicken pox when it's not neccessary.---yes I had a terrible 'bout of chicken pox as a child and still have scars from them. So I got the shot for my kids and glad I did.

They also had to quarintine 200 inmates at our town's jail because they had to test the men to see who had chicken pox after it started going around.

39. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2007

My doctor does not reccommend the chicken pox vaccine unless they haven't gotten chicken pox by the time they've been in school a few years.

the Chicken pox doesn't always work, and what if it wears off in a few decades? The adult doesn't know they've lost immunity, catches it, and ends up much sicker than they would have been if they'd just caught it as a child.

So, that's one vaccine my little brothers did not get.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2007

For those parents concerned about the MMR:

I know several people who opted for the 3 separate vaccines. (measles, mumps & rubella)

We didn't, but it's an avenue you might want to explore.

41. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

This is a tough debate, because of course, we all want our children to be healthy and if there is anything that we can do to prevent illness, we want to do it. Only, even though there is no direct research that links MMR and other vaccines to Autism, and other severe problems that sometimes seem like side effects, it's still scary! As far as HPV goes, as I said before, that is one I never intend to have a daughter of mine get. As someone else stated in this thread, this vaccine is not old enough to have been researched really for long term effects. And, HPV is sexually transmitted. I pray that I won't have a child that is sexually active at age 10, 11, 12, you get the picture! The age cut off for it is 24 or 25, so if I have a daughter that at age 18 comes to me and says she wants it, or age 20, whatever, that is fine with me. Anyway, just my thoughts.