How do you feel about other teachers...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2013

...going into your locked classroom when you aren't around?

At our school, all the classrooms are locked. Teachers have keys to their own rooms but no one else's. Yesterday a teacher got a custodian to let her into my neighbor's classroom to borrow some technology equipment. My neighbor is pretty upset because 1) she is responsible for that equipment and will be written up if it is damaged or lost, and 2) she didn't give this other teacher permission to enter her room after school hours.

How would you feel about it? Are there times when it's okay and times when it's not okay? Does it matter if the person entering your room is someone you like, someone in your department, or someone you don't really know?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 16, 2013

Our janitors would not open a room after hours without getting permission from an administrator. (One exception is they will occasionally open my husband's room for me if he has left work before me and forgot to grab something...) That would not happen at my school.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2013

The caretakers would open a room for us, and I wouldn't have a problem with someone coming in to get a paper they forgot or to pick up something for a student. I would, however, have a problem with someone borrowing something of mine (or something I was responsible for) without talking to me about it first, whether it was behind a locked door or not.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 16, 2013

Sounds like that custodian could get in a lot of trouble. That is completely wrong of the teacher to make that request, and just as bad for the custodian to comply. Did the offending teacher lie to the custodian and say she had permission to borrow it? I'd be peeved if another teacher ransacked my classroom, virtual or in reality.

6. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jan 16, 2013

I got a donorschoose project funded for a lot of art supplies. I've told the humanities teacher to come in whenever she wants to get them (our keys unlock every classroom). With that being said, I would be irritated if anyone else came in and just took something.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 16, 2013

Me and the other 8th grade science teacher have classrooms right next to each other with a supply room in between. We share equipment with each other and have given each other explicit permission to borrow equipment from each others rooms. I still always ask first though.

If other teachers came in my room and got stuff without asking first, I would think that would be pretty rude, and would probably be upset if they borrowed something I needed that day.

8. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Jan 16, 2013

I would be very upset. I have given permission for the band teacher to use my room as a practice area in the evenings, but other than that nobody should be in my room. They CERTAINLY should not be borrowing things from it!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 16, 2013

We have cameras everywhere. I would never go into anyone else's classroom without permission. This summer I had permission to borrow something from another classroom. My back door key opens her front. I called her and stayed on the phone with her the whole time I was in her room. I just felt weird being in there without her knowing or being there. With that said, certain teachers wouldn't bother me. But we have one that I have caught several times in my room and others' rooms without permission.

We are told that our rooms belong to the school, but we aren't to take or remove anything from them without permission from the teacher assigned to the room.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2013

For me, I have no problem with certain teachers entering my room and using/borrowing my things. These would be a select few, the teachers that I'm friends with and trust to treat my stuff with care. I would certainly appreciate them asking me ahead of time, but it would be okay with me if they had a random emergency and told me about it after the fact.

There are many other teachers, however, that I don't know well and wouldn't necessarily trust with my things. If those teachers entered my room without permission and took my things (or things assigned to me), I'd be notifying my supervising administrator. (I advised my neighbor to do exactly that.)

11. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jan 16, 2013

I have never minded it as a teacher, but now that I am an administrator I have had a few issues with people going into my office without permission to borrow/use things. (Everyone's keys open all of the doors in the school.) A few days ago I had the lock changed so that I am the only one with the key. (The office was vacant until I took the position, and some people in nearby classrooms were using it as their own personal space/storage area.)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2013

I'd send this matter to your steering committee..custodians should not be using their keys to enter classrooms for any reason outside their contracted responsibilities.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 16, 2013

At our school, teachers have keys to all the rooms, and it isn't uncommon to see a teacher to let herself into my room to return a book, put a post it note on my desk, etc. No one complains as nothing bad has happened.

14. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 17, 2013

We also have keys that open all classroom doors. I don't have an issue with other teachers coming into my room. I teach math and because we (as a department) have so many manipulatives, there are things stored in every math teacher's room. If my colleague came in to get pattern blocks, for example, I wouldn't have an issue. And I trust my colleagues not to go through my personal things.

What DOES get me is that the other day a substitute custodian found an Ipod in the girls' washroom across the hall from me. He asked me if I knew whose it was. The case was very distinct and I knew exactly which one of my kids it belonged to. It was later in the afternoon and everyone had left the office, so I put it in my desk drawer, meaning to give it to the student the following morning.

When I got in the next morning, there was a note on my desk from this student's mother. The student had been stressing about her lost Ipod, so the mother came to the school to look for it (our school is open pretty regularly - it is a community school and is used for a lot of community-based groups). The custodian said that he had given it to me, so he let her in my room. She clearly went through my desk to find the Ipod, as well as a piece of paper and a pen to let me know she had been there.

Now, I know the parent and we have a good relationship, so I doubt there was any other snooping there, but I was still upset. I had to let administration know.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

My teacher-friends, no problem. "Random" teachers? It's rude....but more than that, too, when teachers are responsible for certain items and such.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

Shanoo, not cool. Not cool at all.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 17, 2013

I would not dare to enter another teacher's classroom without permission, nor would I feel comfortable with someone entering mine. What really ticks my clock, though, is the removal of technology equipment without that teacher's approval. S/he is correct in that the person to whom the district signed out the equipment is the one that will be held responsible should something go wrong.

18. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

I wouldn't mind them coming in my room when I'm not around. As another poster said, the teachers in my school can also open any door in the building with their key. I keep expensive things locked up. What a do mind is janitors will see a light on and allow students in classrooms where no one is there. They've been told repeatedly not to do it.

19. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jan 18, 2013

Our classrooms are all left open for the cleaners. I don't mind if someone comes into my classroom to borrow anything, so long as I know who it is and what it is they have taken (very rarely happens though). I DO mind when my co-teacher (in the next class) comes in to talk to me about what we're doing that day or what happened during the day and while she is talking she is looking through papers on my desk and in my filing tray! Very open and very blatent. She really cheesed me off with this that I was going to tell her how rude it was and if she wants to look through my stuff she should ask first (I would have said yes, got nothing to hide and I'm willing to share). Anyway, she's been moved grades so I don't have to deal with it.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2013

I was in a teacher's room yesterday after she left :blush:
    But I am moving rooms and I had a book that belonged to the Title I teacher. I went to return it and she said they moved that set to the SpEd teacher's room. So I was only returning :)

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 18, 2013

I'd be incredibly peeved if someone grabbed my school computer and downloaded copies of my classroom templates without permission. I'd happily give them copies if they asked politely. That's about as close as I get to this problem, but I have had it in the past.

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 23, 2013

In general, I don't have a problem with it. We have master keys that open any classroom. If I have a resource that someone else needs, they could come to my room and get it while I wasn't there (though I would appreciate a note, just in case I was still using that resource, so I could come back and get it if necessary)... electronics are a whole different kettle of fish.

I also wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same way as I do about my stuff, and while I have gone into team mates classrooms after they've left for the day to grab something, I wouldn't do that to just anyone, and I would ALWAYS leave a note (unless I'm going back to grab something that I had loaned out previously and need back.)