How do you feel about attending students' personal events?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 1, 2016

I'm sure this depends a lot upon the community, but at my current school I've just had my fourth invitation to a personal, outside-of-school event. Essentially, I'm teaching the age group where a lot of the kids are having communions and baptisms. I've yet to actually attend one mostly due to conflicting plans. Have you ever attended anything for a student?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 1, 2016

Yes, I have received invitations from parents (to attend their children's events). As long as I'm available, I attend.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 1, 2016

I don't think I'd feel comfortable attending religious events, but that is mostly because I am not the majority religion practiced by my student population and I wouldn't want to stand out in a crowd for it.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 1, 2016

I have attended some birthday parties but I teach SPE and some don't have many to show up for their parties.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2016

I tell the kids at the beginning of the year about how I would love to support every student throughout both their academics and their other activities: sports, dance, etc... Within that though, I do specify that I will consider each equally, but cannot guarantee anything because of the possible time conflicts. I always go to the orchestra/band concerts throughout the year, as I have a huge chunk of students who participate in that, and I've stopped by a baseball game, and gone to watch a dance performance once. One of my students this year happens to have the same music teacher as I had when I was younger, so that's one I'll have to go to!

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to, but that if they do consider it, that it's done with some equity. The kids love seeing their teachers support them in those other activities!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2016

In the past, if I was able to attend. I did.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 1, 2016

I have gone to sports game, musical events, etc for my students. One student was an actor and singer in this play at the Metro. Opera house in NYC. AMAZING! Got to go back stage because of him and meet the director. My rule is if it is something based on their talents I love going, but if it's just a party no way. (One teacher was known for going to all the birthday parties and I just don't think that is right professionally speaking.)

Backroads likes this.
  9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 1, 2016

I've gone to musical events and drama events. Sports isn't my thing really, but I've gone to a sports event because the kiddo was playing in the marching band.

I've kind of stopped going to these things because they often don't even notice that I'm there.

10. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Nov 1, 2016

I go to sporting events when I can and have been to a funeral for a student's parent who passed away. I would not go to a birthday party or any other casual party/ celebration.

11. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Nov 2, 2016

One place I taught at I went to some sporting games. With the school I'm at now, I don't. For one thing, I live far away and am just not up for making that drive. Also, this place is quickly sucking the life out of me so I have a no work on weekends thing going! However, I did really enjoy going to the games I went to. LOL I found out one of my most prissy girls was an INTENSE volleyball player!

Backroads likes this.
  12. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Nov 3, 2016

My school is trying desperately to get us to do home visits.
    A home visit can be at their home, or just an event. Like basketball, cheer, karate, etc.
    If you attended something in oct., you got a whole week of free dress this week. If you attned one in nov., you get put in a raffle for a $100 gift card (the more you go to, the more tickets you put in the jar).
    Also, we get paid if we go on a Saturday, $25 for an hour.

They say studies show that students perform better with teacher envolvement.
    *they, as in our central office people.

Backroads likes this.
  13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2016

I don't attend student events.

Backroads likes this.
  14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2016

After having put myself in harm's way during a home visit (there was obvious drug use in the house, among other things), I draw the line there unless I'm with another teacher or administrator. However, public events, especially secular ones, are fair game.

Backroads likes this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 4, 2016

Frankly, I'm a little disturbed by the idea of home visits. It seems a boundary issue for me.

16. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 4, 2016

I think they sound really weird as well. I'd feel uncomfortable going into a student's home. Or to any political or religious event.