How do you explain to a kid he is getting a new teacher?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Dec 14, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

My child had a lot of issues for a few weeks in his current classroom. They decided that it would be best to put him in another room since there are multiple behavior issues in his class and as a kid with a current IEP related to behavior issues, they wanted him to have a more positive peer environment. How do I tell my child he is getting a new teacher in the same school he is currently enrolled at and what reasons do I give? He is in 3rd grade.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2011

I would tell him that he's getting a new teacher so that the other children with behavior issues will be away from him. (doesn't sound right, but soemthing like that.)

I'd also tell him that I and the school want him to be successful, that's why he's being given this opportunity to be in a space away from the disruptive children so that he can concentrate on his school work and his learning. Put a positive spin on it and make it seem like it's in his best interest in terms of helping him be successful and those other kids were just being too distractive. This will be a much calmer space (theorically) and he'll do much better here.

Good luck.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

We think you'll have more success in the new room, that it will be easier for you to behave well with these new friends.

Basically it's the truth, on an 8 year old level.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

Except he hasn't misbehaved in several weeks. I like for him to be thinking of himself in a positive light. They suggested it and then took almost 6 weeks to "pick" the teacher.

6. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 14, 2011

Oh wow, I have the SAME QUESTION!! for my second grader.

I am not sure how I am going to explain it to her either!!

I am thinking about telling Hailey it is because the other teacher really wanted to have Hailey in her room, because she knows more about hearing loss than her current teacher. Could you tell your son something along those lines? That the new teacher knows more about his behavior issues?

Have you met with the new teacher? Maybe she has an idea for you? It is stressful, right?

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

I knew you would show up!

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 14, 2011

ha, where is the "like" button when you need it?

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

I have no idea what this new teacher's name is much less I haven't actually met her. They called my husband today and that's all I know. Yes, it is a bit stressful! I think this year's teacher wasn't prepped ahead. That was the main setback. Once she knew a few things (unfortunately after we exploded), she responded differently. Someone who doesn't quite know what to do is not nearly as harmful as someone who is just unwilling. I was thankful that she showed herself to be in the former camp. Having said that, there also are some academic and communication things that "seemed" lacking about this teacher so I'm actually hopping for a wide range of changes.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

I'm really hesitant to make this about his behavior. I think perhaps because he has come such a long way in a very short period of time and because he has actually had a great month. I don't want him to feel it is all for nothing. Yet I don't have a non-behavior related reason to give him. I'd settle for some kind of generic answer.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

Perhaps it is just a sign of my ambivalence.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

Now I REALLY wish I was going on his field trip tomorrow to make sure he feels great about his class and his teacher (even though he is leaving her).

As luck would have it, my hearing aid broke at 3pm today. Now I have to go on base tomorrow and hope like heck they have spare parts because otherwise I'm going to have to wait for mail or learn where Japanese go for hearing aid parts and face the additional language barrier. While I'm sure hearing aids aren't dramatically different, I wonder if the parts are interchangeable. Why do I say this? I was talking to a few about hearing aid batteries. Apparently my shelf life was significantly different than theirs leading me to believe the technology might be somewhat different between foreign models. I don't know. I guess that would be interested to know but at this time of the year, I'm really just hoping the base has it.

That was a long long long ramble but today was a rough rough rough day for a variety of reasons. I had about 4 crisis that hit me in a span of 3 hours today. It's over and I'm exhausted. At the same time I was trying to help my kids make 30 teacher gifts and 20 friend gifts.

It's my thread and I'm allowed to hijack! :)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

:hugs:

14. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Dec 14, 2011

I have had children moved to my room. Usually, parents just say, "Oh, Mrs. so and so is going to be doing x, and we thought you would enjoy being a part of that." Or, explain that just like adults have to find the right work environment so do children. Say you feel this is the right environment for your child. Then move on. Don't dwell on it. Your child will follow your lead.

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 14, 2011

Just tell him the new classroom is a better fit for him and he will be even more successful.

You are right to want to focus on the positive and the future. Besides, if you tell him it's about behavior or put down the other teacher, he might go say that when someone at school asks him, which might open a can of worms if it gets back to the other students, parents, or staff. No need to make this more of an upheaval than it already is.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

I don't know ANYTHING about Ms. X but you are right, I don't want to dwell on it.

I absolutely agree. That's something I've already thought about too.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

You could also let him know that his current teacher and/or the principal thought that this new class might have some interesting kids that would make great friends.

Maybe that they thought that some of these kids might be more at his academic level as well...

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2011

That's an idea too!

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 14, 2011

oh yeah, the friend angle, that is a good one!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 16, 2011

I did a combination of these ideas with an emphasis on the friends. His face immediately fell apart. It seems he is attached to a certain friend. I explained other times of the day when he will have an opportunity to still see all his old friends but make new ones too! I even told him that sometimes schools make changes and it has happened even in my classroom too! It wasn't doing the trick and I could see him asking "but why" and he was saying, "I don't want to." So I quickly redirected to talk about the field trip he went on. He hasn't asked about it since but he is a kid I have to prepare ahead. I had to ask the school for advice. The sped teacher told me she would talk to the counselor to give me strategies. I saw her do that but haven't received an email and now school is out. I'm wondering. But I am thinking of when it gets closer to that time to have him make a New Year's gift for both teachers and give him some time to talk about it. I got more information today so I at least know her name!

Mom2, how is it going on your end?

21. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 16, 2011

well, I have not heard from the principal yet, I guess there was a water main break at the end of the day today so - hoping I will hear on Monday.

I am going to go with the Mrs. so and so - her room is quieter and the kids are quieter so you will be able to hear better. that is my lie and I am sticking to it.

22. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2011

cut---I'm glad that you have a plan in place to start preparing your son. I think that making two New's Years gifts is a great idea and something he can work on over the break.

Is there a way to have him visit with his friend outside of school?

23. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2011

I am wondering if the behavior has improved so much is it still necessary that your son is moved?

Usually when I have had children moved into my class the decision is made one day and the child is in my room the next sometimes with a few minutes warning. The child is moved because he/she is acting in some deplorable way, his/her parents have a bee in their bonnet that includes potential legal ramifications, or the child is being harassed by other children so it is done very quickly.