How do you enforce rules about talking during inappropriate times and cell phones

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by futureteach24, Jan 2, 2015.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jan 2, 2015

Thanks!

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 2, 2015

Talking during inappropriate times: I warn them first and mark it on my seating chart. Students are also aware that this results in lower participation grade. If it continues, I ask them to sit at the focus desk which is away from other students and faces the wall. They remain there until I feel they're ready to return to work with the rest of the class. If they are talking or misbehaving at the focus desk, or they return to their seat and STILL talk, I have them call their parents and explain why they're calling, and then hold the phone until I am ready to speak with their parents.

If it happens frequently over the course of many days, I'll have them come in during lunch and practice speaking only during appropriate times for about 20 minutes.

As for cell phones, if they have them out, they're mine until the end of the day. If the phone rings in class, I'm pretty lenient though and just tell them to turn it off.

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 5, 2015

See my response under "Unsupportive Administration" in the "General Education" category.

:thumb:

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 5, 2015

for talking - lots of warnings, redirection, changing seats. Calls home, detentions and referrals if it gets to the point that class is consistently disrupted and other students' learning is impacted. For something like talking I really want to handle it all on my own - no admin and no parents.

phones - confiscate until the end of the period for the first offense and/or the first few weeks of class. Then confiscated for the rest of the school day after that. Repeated offenses past that point require referrals per our handbook.

6. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Jan 6, 2015

Talking: I speak with the student, and after that I position myself in the class. I stand next to the talker. I move their seat to a back corner. Usually those things work. For cell phones, it's easy. If I see it, it's mine for the day. Second offense, it goes to the VP for the day.