How do you end your day?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missbianca, Sep 30, 2010.

1. missbianca

missbianca Rookie

Sep 30, 2010

I am needing some help. I teach half days 8:30-12:00.
    I have having trouble finding something to engage the kids (2 and 3s) for the last 20 minutes of class. They are getting tired and hungry at this point. I cannot take them outside during this time as the 4 and 5s have their recess time then. I am stuck. So, I was wondering how do you end your day? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 30, 2010

Well -- we have lunch at school in the cafeteria then head back to our room for Final Sing. We sing the same 2 songs, reflect on our day -- what we did, in the order we did it, then the children put a stone into a bowl as they say what part of their day they liked best.

Can you have a second circle time? Read, dance and/or sing? Can you have an activity that's just for the end of the day? Like special play doh? Can you add the minutes to another part of your day?

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 30, 2010

If we couldn't go outside because of weather, which is where we dismissed, I would switch up my schedule and have music at the very end. Leave time to have everyone get ready to leave before I opened the door.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

Could you give them a snack at the end of the day?

6. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Oct 4, 2010

This is the perfect activity for you. Laminate pictures of all children and write their name onto sentence strips (and cut individually). Pass out pictures to all students at the end of the day and have them one by one try to match the name to the picture (they obviously can't read but help them sound out) or vice versa have them match the picture to the name. As they do this they are to say Goodnight (student's name) and then the whole class says Goodnight (student's name). Helps with name and face recognition. We do this even if the student's didn't attend that day.

7. preteach

preteach Rookie

Oct 16, 2010

We always end our day with songs. A favorite of the younger kids is to sit in a circle and we sing to each child "Goodbye Sally, Goodbye Sally, Goodbye Sally, it's time for us to go"

Then I blow bubbles and only that child gets to pop them. I say "these are Sally's bubbles" At the beginning I will add "who can pop these bubbles" and they answer "sally". They love it, it is good repetition and they learn each others names :)

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 16, 2010

I really like the idea of using the same activity at the end of the day. It acts as an anchor for the day. This repitition is very comforting to the children.

9. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Oct 18, 2010

We have snack, and for about ten minutes the kids are free to look at books, or engage in a fine motor activity (Montessori type stuff). With about 5 minutes left, we clean up, they put on coats, and we sing a few songs and I give them a "hug, handshake, or high five" before they line up.