How do YOU encourage good behavior?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mrs_B, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Nov 30, 2006

I am trying to collect some ideas for encouraging good behavior when I sub grades K-5. I'd love to hear what you do!

When I subbed for 2 days in 4th grade I put the word GAMES on the board and erased a letter when they got too talkative, etc. We played Heads Up Seven-Up and Four Corners at the end of the day. I assume this would work with 5th graders as well. 3rd graders or younger though?

I know my son had a sub last week in 1st grade who drew 5 boxes on the whiteboard leading up to a Prize Circle. She moved a smiley face magnet up or down accordingly. At the end of the day they got an oragami blow-up ball (the kids loved) and the second day snack size m&m's.

I've also seen a sub use a smiley face on a popsicle stick for Kindergarten. The flip side had a sad face to let them know when they were getting too noisy. No rewards were given.

Anyone willing to share their tips?

3. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

The primary tactic that I use for elementary school students is focusing attention on them in front of the entire class. I'll prominently thank them for being quiet and hard-working while the rest of the class continues to talk or misbehave. 90% of the time, the rest of the class notices and hurries to behave well so that they can receive the same recognition. Calmly recognizing good behavior and calmly admonishing misbehavior works well.

I learned in a classroom management workshop months ago that disciplining students by using questions to halt behavior is ineffective. Asking a student what they are doing when they misbehave only invites further arguments or distracting conversation. Quickly and directly telling a student to stop the undesired behavior or to change what is being done is more effective.

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend using the "positive focus" tactic on high school students, though. They already realize that they're supposed to do what needs to be done without being thanked for it, whether they choose to do it or not -- so acknowleding and complimenting simple good behavior seems to patronize the student.

4. Back2Work

Back2Work Rookie

Dec 23, 2006

I have a similar method that I have used for k-3 so far. I write the word SUPERSTARS on the board. I then tell the class that as the day goes on, when I see someone behaving appropriately, doing their work, etc. I will write their name on my superstar list. At the end of the day, whoever has their name on my list gets a small reward (sticker, small candy, tatoo). Whenever I return to a classroom that I have subbed in before, the first thing the class asks when they see me is, "Are you going to do your superstar list today?" They are all very interested to see who gets their name up when I start writing, and then they look at that child to see why they got their name up there.

Since the middle school kids change classes, I will walk around and hand out the small rewards while they are working if they have earned them. when others see the rewards, they will usually change their behaviors if they are not behaving. If they completely turn it around, I may reward them, it would depend on the situation.

Some students are exceptional of course. If I go to write their name on the board, and their name is already on there from earlier in the day, i will put a star next to their name. For these kids, I try to write a short note home saying how proud their families should be of their child for their outstanding behavior. If I run out of time to write a note, i will give the students with stars an extra reward.

You can try these ideas if you like.