how do you do your transitions?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teachingfran, Feb 3, 2012.

1. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Feb 3, 2012

Teachers,

Hello! How do you handle transitions in your room, we are departmentalized so we switch classes, we go to lunch, we go to support, going to the restroom.....the kids think this means social hour. I have asked them to sit back down and try it again and it might work once but it doesn't help long-term. Any suggestions?

I have a H.A.L.L. procedure (Hands at your side, Always Facing Forward, Line Straight, Lips Sealed) signs posted at the door, someone holding the sign as monitor, they are posted in the hallway. So the procedure is clear. They do pretty good once we are in the hall but it's the moving from their seats to the line where chaos insues. I'd love to hear what you do! :)

Thanks for sharing!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2012

You should do it where they are excused in alphabetical order; first names, or last names, whatever you'd like to use. You can also use the colors they are wearing. Mix it up SO they don't get bored with it fast.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Feb 3, 2012

Whenever my kiddos line up for anything, I ask them to "please line up quietly." Those are usually exactly the words that come out of my mouth. They are decent at forming a line, but if it ever does not happen quietly, I will comment something about how they forgot their "quietly" and ask them to sit back down. They do not like this but they know that if I have asked them to line up quietly, they won't be going anywhere until they do. Occasionally, they have to sit back down a second time and try lining up again, again! But I try to do what it takes so they get the message that they are not going to get away with being super chatty if I've asked for quiet.

5. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

Yes, I do the same thing but it doesn't seem to be working. Actually, I saw line up quickly and quietly (or "on zero" as it's terminology we use in the school and the school has posted around that hallways are zero zones).

I came into the class in the beginning of October. This is the magnet or optional class. They were really unhappy about their teacher leaving and getting a new one so complying with someone they don't want there has not been a high priority on their list almost like they might be able to make me leave if they acted poorly enough. It's been an uphill battle. Most of the class has acclimated well but there are those few that are still struggling with following directions no matter how small the task.

I have even done the mystery hall person where when they come back if that person has follwed the procedures they get a treat. It hasn't motivated those few remaining contrary ones.

Thanks for sharing,

Dina

6. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

I do have them line up alphabetically by last name. It works best for cutting down on talking. We wear uniforms and there is not much variety to be able to line up by color. Sometimes I line up Z to A so it's not always the same but "same" seems to cut down on some confusion.

Thanks for replying!

Dina

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

Have you tried a whole class reward? Maybe keep a jar of pebbles near the door that you add pebbles to when they line up quietly. You could add more pebbles if they walk down the hall quietly.

Then have a class reward for when the jar is full.

8. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Feb 4, 2012

I have thought of it but never got anywhere to get a jar and marbles or anything to use to fill it up.

How do you handle class rewards if there are still the one or two that aren't quite getting it or refusing to get with the program? I am willing to try it. I also might do POPCORN as a word and see if they can earn it that way ... they had wanted to have a popcorn party or said the other teacher owed them one. That word is long enough but not too long to earn something relatively quick if they do what they are being asked to do. Then next time they could spell out POPCORN PARTY to make it a little more challenging. What do you think about that?

Thanks for sharing! :)

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

The word idea is basically the same and should work similarly. I would say go for it.

As for the two that aren't buying into the program, sometimes the peer pressure works. Other times, I have them have a separate word they are trying to earn or jar that they are trying to fill. Each student has a buddy that they work with to earn their own reward.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

Transitions between content area lessons...I have a group wrap up or share, or partner talk.

Transitions to travel to specials, lunch, etc....it's about teaching procedures....sometimes they need reminders. I've never done 'secret walker' but I have friends that use it.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

Do you have a smart board? Download the song I like to Move it form the Madagascar soundtrack. I just click once on this icon on the SMARTBOARD and then I dismiss them to line up. I then teach them to be quiet when the song goes off. If they don't, we line up again without the song. If it happens again, I am ready to give out a consequence to those not following the rule. The song is fun and by listening to it, they talk less and are more relaxed. Other songs I'm sure would do as well--IF it is something they like.