How do you do Treasure chest?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsV, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I had a treasure chest in both my student teacher and my first year. My master teacher just let kids go whenever she caught them doing something good or if they got 100% on their spelling tests.

Last year, I sat kids in groups and had a point system. Certain groups got points all day for having everyone in their group staying on task. At the end of the day, the group with the most points got treasure chest at the end of the day.

I really don't want to put the kids in groups (I have them in a horse shoe). I don't really think it was fairly done the way my master teacher did it either (it seems like the same kids get chosen every time). I am at a loss thinking of a way to fairly do treasure chest this year.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

3. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

My cooperating teacher used "Golden Tickets." When students were caught doing something good (helping another student, being on task whil others weren't, following directions in a timely manner, etc.), they were told to get a ticket. They then wrote their name on the back of a ticket (raffle type tickets) and put it in the Golden Ticket jar. At the end of the week, time permitting, several tickets would be randomly drawn out of the jar and those students would get to go to get a prize of their choice. You could not get more than one in a day but we did discuss that the more times your name gets into the jar the more of a chance you have to get to go to the prize basket. After finishing the drawing for the week all the tickets are thrown away and the jar starts empty for the next week. If we didn't have time at the end of the week we would just keep the tickets in the jar for the following week and draw extra names. Also sometimes a ticket would be drawn with no name, to which the class and teacher respond together "Awwwweeee..." as the ticket is tossed. On a side note: My cooperating teacher can no longer find golden colored tickets so she gets whatever she can find but still calls them golden tickets b/c "A ticket is worth gold."

4. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Do you have a daily behavior chart? I use a traffic light system with my third graders for individual behavior. If they stay on green the WHOLE week (1 day off and it's too bad so sad) they get to go to the treasure box. I also do a classroom economy so the one's that miss one day don't get discouraged and just "give up". Hope it helps!

5. MissV

MissV Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I use stickers. I give the kids incentive charts, and every time someone gives me a good answer to a question, acts respectful, or I catch "obeying" the rules; I give him/her a sticker.

When they collect 5 stickers on their chart, they get a small prize. Let me tell you, when I even SAY the word "sticker" my entire class goes absolutely quiet and hands are clasped in laps

P.S. Love your name;)

6. Motzie

Motzie Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I used a chart system. They earned a check (or sticker) for every day they didn't have a color change. I would also reward checks for students who showed initiative to do things without being told, above and beyond etc. It is instant feedback for the student and I even had them mark their check or put their sticker be their name. When the student reached say 20 checks by their name, they got a trip to the treasure chest. Then they would start over on the chart. Some of the students got to go to the chest once or twice a week. We made a big production of it at the end of the day to get the other kids pumped up and wanting to earn their trips.

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I just have to post this everytime I see someone talk about rewards because when I came across this website it was like a light went on - it is so beautiful in its simplicity! It's on Ms. Powell's website.

http://www.mspowell.com/tokensystem.html

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

I have a rocket ship behavior chart and they have to get to the moon. When a student reaches the moon he or she can go to the treasure box. Some kids only take a week, others....it takes longer. I don't like giving prizes too often and for trivial things. They know they have to work really hard.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I use a classroom economy. It's worked for years for me.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

I will give out classroom money and when they earn $10 they can get a trip to the treasure box or save their money to use on other things.

Fantastic behavior, awesome manners, strong character, great thinking, super listening, and being a good friend are just a few of the things that can earn them money. Then they can trade it in for all kinds of things. Treasure chest being one choice. Biggest choice is dinner with me and 2 of their friends, that costs $200 classroom money.

11. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I give terrific tickets to children "caught making good choices". They write their name on the ticket, and put it into the Terrific Ticket Jar. On Fridays I would pick a few names out... and those children would get to pick something out.

The terrific ticket system is wonderful. It begins to teach kids about probability, it stretches out the treasures, and the kids adore it.