How do you do Take Home Folders?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Jul 30, 2011.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

At the end of the day. How do kids go get them (while keeping everything in the folders).

I saw an idea to give them a snack at the end of the day (instead of earlier). I might try that.

How do you have time to mark the behavior sheets? My only break is in the morning.

Currently I call them by groups to get folders from their mailboxes. I but a small video on why we do this (from brainpop or discoverylearning). It doesn't work well. I need suggestions. This is the only time of day that absolutely drives me crazy.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

Do you use a mailbox system?

I place the folders into the boxes with anything that has been passed out placed on top. The students make a line to get their mail and take it to their seats to put it in their bags.

Could you do something like this and have them have the behavior sheet on top. You could stand near the boxes and mark the sheets as they take them out of the boxes before going back to their seats.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

yes that is pretty much what I do. I just find it is very time-consuming with kinder.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

I like to have DEAR time (drop everything & read) & have a few at a time pack up. That way they others are busy, quite, & not all at the tables at the same time getting papers mixed with their neighbors

6. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

It does take a long time...some kids are so distracted during that chaotic few minutes! Can you spread the mailboxes apart so there isn't such a crowd? Mine are all together in one piece of furniture, but I only have 14 children. Still, they are dropping things, stepping on each other, playing with the Legos instead of packing up...
    I HAVE to learn to allow more time for this part of the day! It seems like such a waste to stop instructional time earlier, but otherwise that end-of-day routine is rushed, stressful, and a bad way to say good bye. It's my fault if we are late for dismissal because I know they need more time to get organized.

7. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

I always do snack while we get ready to go home for this reason. I've done it different ways. I have called them a couple at a time, I have had students pass them out and then they would open their binders and I would quickly go around and mark conduct, I sometimes have the binder passers take the binder to the students after I mark their conduct. Before my conference time go ate up with too many meetings I would go through and mark the conduct of students who usually had good conduct (it was easy to color over if their conduct changed).

This year I have a different color tub for each table. At the end of the day the table leader will get the tub and pass out the binders. Students will open to their calendar page and I will go around and mark conduct. This way I will be circulating the room to help with management and I will be able to quickly conference with students who have questions.

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

I send their homework folder home on Monday, and they return it on Friday with their homework.
    We pack up at the end of the day. They just bring their backpacks to their cubby one table group (of 4) at a time and pack. The rest of us stay on the carpet and sing end of the day songs.

As far as behavior charts, I send home a weekly one. I keep track on marker board in an out of the way spot, of who went on yellow and why at the end of the day before I put them all back on green for the next day. Then I just pass out the behavior slips with a gold star for all green, and they color the squares themselves. I color in the yellow/red squares first and put the reason before they color in the rest. (Hopefully there will be only a few of those) I only do it on Friday, and during one of my breaks. :)

Good luck. :)

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

What are you all using for "mailboxes"?

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

I have a mail sorter from office depot - I bought it about 7 years ago.

11. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I use a row of baskets on top of a long bookcase. Kids can put their completed, checked work in during the day. At the end of the day it all goes in a clear folder and goes home. At the end of circle time, I dismiss kids one at a time to get their folder and line up to leave the room. I can't stand a chaotic, stressful dismissal and try to allow time to do this all in a relaxed fashion. (I don't do a daily behavior chart; I am not required to and found that parents didn't really care. I send home a note when something is noteworthy. And I probably won't do homework folders this year either, but that's a different conversation.)

12. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Thankfully, my classroom has built in cubbies for the kids to use.
    But in the past, I did use a crate with hanging file folders that I used myself to organize materials and handed each folder out at the end of the day.

13. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

I don't do folders, but I do have a set of cubbies the children keep their papers in throughout the day. During bus time they take the papers to their seat and then stuff their backpacks...works like charm! Just seems to take FOREVER the first few months!;) lol

14. comaba

comaba Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

I haven't taught kindergarten in a few years, but when I did, I didn't have cubbies or mailboxes. I bought chair pockets and the students kept their folders and supplies in it.

At the end of the day, they took out their folders and filled in their behavior charts while I passed out homework. (My behavior chart was very simple.) Afterwards, I made a quick pass around the tables to be sure they filled in the correct smiley face. It went pretty quickly.

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 2, 2011

I have a mailbox system that I got from Really good stuff, and in the AM the kids put their folders in the mailbox - then throughout the day they put their papers on top of the folder. I spend a LOT.OF.TIME at the beginning of the year assisting them at the end of the day, one at a time - with putting their papers into their folders -getting the papers into the actual pockets seems like the hardest part. I stand at the mailboxes, and call the students one at a time maybe for two weeks. I like to pack the students up before they have playtime at the end of the day. They pack their folders, and then put the folders into their backpacks. They then put their backpack, lunch and coats on the back of their chair. They show me their chair, then are allowed to choose an area for playtime. This system allows me to then circulate around and help the kids pack up if htey need any help.

Once they all understand how to pack up, then I monitor less, but can take a peek into their backpacks and give out stickers for the students who pack up their folders the nicest.

One problem that I have with the folders though, is when the papers or projects are too big for a folder. In this case, i teach them the "sandwich trick". I show the students how they can put their papers inside the folder without using the pockets. My students LOVE this trick :)

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

I have a place on one of my shelves where I put my HW folders, and any outgoing papers that need to go into the folders. I used to put everything into the folders, but without an assistant, it became too time consuming. What I do now is have a student pass out folders, and other students pass out any outgoing papers. Students then place the papers in their folders as they receive them. It has worked out wonderfully well for me.

17. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

I used the B.E.E. (Bring Everything Everyday) folders, they were a pain in the backside to make, but very efficient for the school year. My routine was: in the morning, students turn in their BEE folder in (a small file box), and in the afternoon I would set time aside and call groups to get their folders so I could mark in their behavior calendar. Student's also had a "work folder" that stayed inside of their desk and on Fridays, that week's work was sent home in the BEE folder. I may use this same routine if my student's have desks instead of tables.

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2011

I have a neat wooden cubbie case with 30 shoebox sized spaces!
    The maintenance guys found it for me when I first set up my class. I was so happy!

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2011

My TA marks the behavior sheet & passes out folders while I read a story at the end of the day.