How do you do reading centers?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bethany1120, Sep 19, 2011.

1. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 19, 2011

I will be leaving in Nov to go on maternity leave until Feb. I want to get my reading centers up and running before the long term sub comes in. I feel like in the past I've had A LOT of centers and it has taken a long time to teach what to do in all of the centers, the rules and and the flow. Does anyone have a very simple way to set up and manage reading/writing centers?

3. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

You could check out the Daily 5 for centers that take less maintenance.

4. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Sep 29, 2011

I have my students working in partners at their centers. My centers are: computers, listening, ABC, puzzles, phonics (sight words), writing, and math. I figured out a schedule where they rotate and will go to each center once/week. Each group sees me for their reading group 2x per week. My reading group/center time is approximately 1 hour. (30 minutes for each center/reading group, so I see 2 reading groups per day.) This gives me time to get in more in my reading centers - review sight words, writing 2 sight words, reading the book (everything that goes along with this - concepts of print, etc.), and then an explicit language activity. I teach my centers the first 2 weeks of school (teach them what to do in centers, etc.). Then the 3rd week of school I start my reading group. This is my third week teaching my reading group. I believe getting them started the first 2 weeks of just learning the centers is beneficial b/c then they know what to do and what is expected before I start my reading groups.