How do you do basal / whole group reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Mar 13, 2012.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Mar 13, 2012

How do you do your basal / whole group reading? We have the Treasures series and I feel they are great stories. But I am HORRIBLE at whole group reading. I will look around and have kids playing in their desk, staring out the window, not even on the same story!!! I also can't call on all of them to read out loud b/c my slow readers would put my high readers to sleep. HELP!!!!!!!

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2012

I do choral reading a lot of the time and train the whole class to read in unison. I usually try and read each story twice in choral reading. I find it tends to be more inclusive. It also takes less time. It tends to force the whole class to participate more than round robin reading. I also leave words out and have them continue the reading when I stop to make sure the majority are participating.

I also have the whole class on the rug in a circle for the whole group reading. There are less things to distract the children on the rug. It is also easier to see no participatory children in the circle.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 14, 2012

When it's time for reading out of our basal, we get into a circle on the floor. Our series (Storytown) urges you to have the teacher read aloud to model fluency. We stop at key points to ask questions.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

I will often read aloud the stories or play the stories on the CD and have the students answer questions in a think-pair-share model. Sometimes I'll split the class and have half read with an assistant during my reading time. You can also call on different students to read a sentence or two to ensure that they are following along or have students read a word or two when you pause.

6. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Mar 14, 2012

With my fourth graders, I start off doing mostly choral reading in the beginning of the year, then gradually move more towards partner reading (you do have to model and practice this). Occasionally I will do the "call on one student at a time" while everybody follows along, but I tell the students that I will call on them randomly, even in the middle of a paragraph, so they need to make sure they are keeping the place.
    One thing that I have found helpful for students is to give them an index card that they can use as a "bookmarker" to slide under the text as we read, to help keep the place.
    When I taught struggling second graders, I'd read a single page to the class, then we'd choral read the same page (the page generally had just a few sentences of text on it), then I'd call on students to read one sentence at a time before we'd move on to the next page. I also split up the story, so we never tried to get through the whole story in sitting. These students had both reading and attention issues, so they needed that modeling and structured sequence.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2012

Echo reading is also a great way to read. I tend to do this with new stories they haven't read. Sometimes I will read it first to them, or play it for them. It depends.

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Mar 14, 2012

I like what mopar does.

I read aloud to them as they follow. This takes some training to get everyone on the same word at the same time.

Aftewards, I think of a reason for them to read it silently. For example, "I'm going to have you read this with extra expression to a partner, so read it silently, but in your mind, hear your extra expression."

Then I assign the high readers something else to read and have the low readers read it with a partner. By the time we get to extra expressive reading, the low kids do pretty well.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 15, 2012

I do this, as well. I read while they follow along. Later in the week, they do buddy reading with the same story that I modeled a few days before.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 17, 2012

1) I begin with an activity that gets them interested in the story.

2) I have them think about something to discuss AS they are opening their reader to page 225, then I ask a few of them to answer the think about it question- usually someone who is distracted or not on task.

3) I have them do a walkthrough- What do you see on page 154 that makes you think the main character is a cat? Can you tell if the story is fiction or nonfiction? etc... I again call on some kids who are distracted or off task...

4) I tell them to follow along while I read to them. I walk around the room in between the pods so that I can keep an eye on them! Occasionally, I will tap a child on the head or shoulder and have them read the last sentence or two on a page. I might turn a page for a child who is behind and point to the right spot. I ask questions in between the reading and have them point to things.

Later in the week, I have the students partner read the story (I model it for them so they know what to do and what not to do).

I also have them read it silently a couple times during the week.

Once during the week we might take turns reading aloud, but I am careful to give students only sections they can likely read with success.

11. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Mar 17, 2012

We have Scott Foresman. On Monday, I read the story to model a fluent reader. I may stop and ask a question here or there or stop and make observations. On Tuesday, we echo read and I will ask questions from the basal. On Wednesday, we choral read(by this time they have heard the story two times and even my lower readers are able to keep up). On Thursday, we partner read. My students are paired up by ability. My highest student is paired with a middle of the road student while my lowest student is paired with another middle of the road student. They have done really well this year with partner reading! On Friday, the students listen to the story on tape and follow along.

To keep students on track, I will tell them what I am looking for and sometimes will offer our school wide behavior tickets to those who are on task. I have also moved numbers for those who are consistantly not following along/playing/not following directions..that means losing a few minutes of recess. I do try to avoid that though.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 17, 2012

I think you see the problem that whole group reading creates at the 2nd grade level. I would highly suggest going small groups with a maximum of 6 in a group. I would also try to engage the other students in a positive way. Have those who are listening put their finger under the word while the other child is reading. Have the children "whisper the word in their head" while the child is reading. Also, make sure you randomly call students so they don't know who will be next so they are more likely to follow along. Do this in a kind way not in a "gotcha" way. You also might want to ask the children a question or two about what the child read. "What word did Johnny read that begins with the "ch" sound" etc.

13. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Mar 17, 2012

Not all programs can do this for all of their reading block. I have two blocks of reading, whole group reading and small group. During whole group, we cover the spelling/phonics skill, vocabulary, and comprehension skills and strategies. During small group, I pull for guided reading and students complete independent work and go to centers.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 17, 2012

Yep. I'm required to do whole group Reading AND small group differentiated reading.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2012

We also use Treasures. On Monday I play the story while they follow along. They must use their reading finger to follow along. Even those who are good readers must. I ask guided reading questions from my TE as we go. On Tuesday those who want to read out loud will read for me. Wednesday we listen to it again. Thursday I put them into pairs and they read to each other. I go to each group and listen. Friday right before the test they read by themselves. I also send a copy of the story home in their binder. By the time Friday rolls around I usually have even the lowest of readers reading the story some what interdependently.That way they can practice at home and I don't have to send their reader home. For small group their are leveled readers that came with the series for each story. I use those and we do activities on the small groups.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2012

We too have Treasures but I do the Daily 5 CAFE.
    I incorporate Treasures into mini lessons and small groups.